Grabbing slide of auto pistols to disable them

[youtube width=”480″ height=”350″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAG-Jm7rUhA[/youtube]

This guy sets out to prove whether or not grabbing the slide of an auto pistol in a close quarters gun fight would disable the gun by causing it not to cycle.

It takes four and a half minutes, some sarcasm,  humor, and blood.  And the result? It is proven that you can in fact cause a gun not to cycle by grabbing the slide when a round is fired.

Definitely good to know, because it would sure beat getting shot… I don’t think I’ll be trying this any time soon though. :P

Hat Tip: Ry’s Blog

Will January 12, 2010 at 02:21 pm

That whole video just looked unsafe. Would anyone be suprised if he shot himself in the hand?

Admin (Mike) January 12, 2010 at 03:45 pm

Yea, when I initially started up the video and saw him grab the slide at the front I was thinking to myself *you’re not going to pull the trigger… that would be dumb* and sure enough LOL he pulls it.

I believe he runs a training academy, so one could argue that it’s his job to prove things like this to his students, so they don’t shoot themselves by accident doing something similar, and they they know the option is available in a close quarters self defense situation.

VinnieG January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Crazy!
1. Seems perfectly feasible since a gun is designed to JUST chamber the next round from the blowback. If it had more energy, either the slide would fly off or it would damage the gun (or you). So grabbing it reduces the velocity enough to keep the next round from being chambered.

Admin (Mike) January 13, 2010 at 02:23 am

Both definitely sound feasible, but not something I hope I ever have to test out.

bullzebub January 16, 2010 at 09:49 pm

actually it could be more dangerous than that… mythbusters showed that under the wrong circumstances the escaping gas between the barrel and the cylinder is actually capable of cutting off your finger!

Henry Bowman January 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm

“2. Carry a revolver. Of course you could grab the hammer I guess. But you would probably suffer some serious burns.”

Actually, revolvers are easier to defeat. Unless the gun is already cocked to single-action mode, a strong grip on the cylinder prevents it from turning, which it has to do BEFORE it can fire.

Admin (Mike) January 13, 2010 at 02:30 am

Interesting comment about the cylinder turning before the shot, I don’t shoot revolvers on a regular basis and I completely forgot about that.

Could a person even grab the cylinder release latch easily enough? Would that be more difficult, or something you would recommend doing at the same time as having a strong grip on the cylinder?

Too bad disarming someone wasn’t as easy as Jackie Chan makes it look in Rush Hour 1 when he grabs the gun (Glock I think) away from Chris Tucker, fields strips it and hands the pieces back to him in a second or two. LOL :lol:

bullzebub January 16, 2010 at 09:52 pm

that was a pretty fun scene! but jackie field stripped while chris was still holding the gun! and it was a beretta 92. :-)

bullzebub January 16, 2010 at 09:55 pm

oh. doing this might prevent the first shot to go off too… if you push the slide back. anybody know how much is needed? a few mm or something, right?

Admin (Mike) January 18, 2010 at 12:38 am

Good point, I just tried that with my empty G26 and the trigger does not engage the firing pin if you even push the slide back slightly because as soon as you do that the barrel starts to drop because it would normally be ejecting out the casing and getting ready to feed another round.

I wonder how this is across other makes/models?

Frankie March 9, 2010 at 09:24 am

Yeah this technique gives you just enough time to take the weapon from the prick, and feed lt to him sideways. Krav Maga!

Admin (Mike) March 9, 2010 at 11:23 am

Good call! Krav Maga looks pretty awesome.