Chicken Winging And Other Suggestions To Military Riflemen

The book was published in 1909, so maybe chicken winging was embraced back then?

This police officer from Marble Falls, TX must have studied a copy of the book as part of her training.

Since the detachable box magazine was not widely used back in 1909, I’m sure the tip on putting your magazine in backwards was picked up by the officer from another source. :lol:

Suggestions to Military Riflemen is available at Amazon, but unfortunately it appears to come with a generic cover.  Hopefully there is plenty of chicken wingin’ goodness inside to make up for it.

Travis February 18, 2010 at 06:33 pm

I live in Marble Falls, that image was 3 years ago. I like how the date on the right side is cropped out. Yes that officer is famous around here.

Admin (Mike) February 18, 2010 at 06:48 pm

Hahha I bet she is famous! I saved that image when it first came out, and have been waiting for an opportunity to use it ever since :P Poor woman will never live that down.

Eddieapoc February 18, 2010 at 06:41 pm

Wow that’s classic!

Linoge February 18, 2010 at 08:32 pm

How the hell is the magazine even staying in?

Admin (Mike) February 18, 2010 at 08:53 pm

I tried, and I was able to get it to stay by rocking it in and pushing fairly hard. It seems like it would fall out easy though. :P

Bill February 19, 2010 at 04:25 pm

While the chicken winging takes front and center stage, my eyes spy the magazine backwards?

Admin (Mike) February 19, 2010 at 05:47 pm

A Backward magazine will trump a chicken wing any day of the week!

Phil February 18, 2010 at 09:23 pm

It says “courtesy photo” …. does that mean it was stage for the photographer???

Admin (Mike) February 18, 2010 at 09:30 pm

You see that a lot of places. I’m pretty sure that just means someone unnamed gave them the picture, rather then a pro photographer taking it, or having to buy a stock image for the article.

Dom February 18, 2010 at 09:29 pm

I think that cover image was chosen to suggest that military riflemen truly needed these suggestions in 1909. As in, look how bad our state of affairs is…Col. Whelen is here to help. I can’t imagine the chicken wing was ever a best practice.

Admin (Mike) February 19, 2010 at 05:45 pm

According to page 36 of the book (and the picture on page 37) “The right elbow must be held high enough to insure that the entire butt-plate from toe to heel rests against the shoulder” Referring to the “Standing Position, Full-Arm Extension” ( Page 43 of the pdf – http://theriflemansmanual.com/Suggestions_to_military_riflemen.pdf )

Joe February 19, 2010 at 08:50 am

If anyone’s interested you can read “Suggestions to Military Riflemen” in its entirety for free on Google Books.

Admin (Mike) February 19, 2010 at 05:40 pm

I couldn’t see a free version on google books. Maybe i’m not looking in the right place though. I did find this however which appears to be from google, just hosted on another site http://theriflemansmanual.com/Suggestions_to_military_riflemen.pdf

Ted February 21, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Wow, I had to read that again and look hard to catch it. That’s some good training, lol. I’ve seen upside down a few times, that’s the first backwards. Anybody photoshop that into a Brady poster yet, “the only proper way to load” type of thing yet?

ErnestThing March 4, 2010 at 06:52 pm

Jeff Cooper recommends a chicken wing in his book The Art of the Rifle when shooting from a standing position. Kind of surprised me.

Admin (Mike) March 5, 2010 at 12:19 am

Jeff Cooper advocated the chicken wing?! Damn…

Jeremy March 9, 2010 at 05:11 pm

That is how they taught it at the Appleseed clinic, it does help when standing. It does look a little goofy though.

Phaedrus May 7, 2010 at 04:05 pm

I have been on a Mail Call binge on Hulu and noticed that Gunny Lee Ermy uses the chicken wing stance as well.

Admin (Mike) May 8, 2010 at 12:29 am

Yea he’s done a few different stances and holds I am not familiar with. I assume he knows what hes doing though.

nick May 13, 2013 at 11:36 am

Who cares if the date is cropped out? What difference does that make? Pathetic police force, I don’t care how untrained or new a cop is, that isn’t acceptable.