Brunswick Corporation – Rifleman’s Assault Weapons (RAW)
Designed, fabricated and tested by Brunswick for the U.S. Army MIRADCOM to provide the non-dedicated riflemen with a lightweight, portable assault weapon system to defeat enemy positions in an urban and fortified combat environment.
- Compatible with M-16A1 rifle
- Diameter: 5.5 in. (140 mm)
- Total System Weight Goal: 5.0 lbs
- Explosive Payload: 3.0 lbs
- Rocket propelled
- Effective Range: 200+ meters
- Maximum Range: 2000+ meters
- Straight Line of Sight Trajectory
- Terminal Velocity: 600 ft/s
- Varied Payload: CS, HE, Flame, Smoke, Marker, Fragmentation, WP
- Can be fired by any rifleman
RAW Launcher attaches to the muzzle of an M-16A1 rifle utilizing existing triggering and sights. The RAW projectile is initiated through the firing of a standard 5.56 mm ball round of ammunition. RAW does not interfere or prevent the firing of the rifle’s standard ammunition at any time. Raw produces a 14″ hole through 8 inches of double reinforced concrete and defeats light armor. Since RAW travels line of sight, It can be fired from below a canopy or in sewers and storm drains. RAW produces minimal back blast pressure and noise and can be fired from within enclosed areas.
For those of you that are wondering, yes Brunswick Corporation is the same one that still exists today making Bowling, Billiards, Marine, related products. I can’t seem to find any mention of a defense division on the company website, so I’m assuming they got out of that business.
Have any of you guys used this?
Why did it not catch on? If I had to guess I’d say it is mainly due to the bulkiness and weight of the rockets themselves.