Breast Implants Apparently Stop Bullets

Back on July 1st, 2009 a 30-year-old man distraught over a divorce was booked on suspicion of murder after he walked into a Simi Valley, CA dental office and allegedly shot and killed his wife and wounded three others.

Jamie Peredes allegedly walked into the office and began firing an SKS semiautomatic assault rifle.

SKS ASSAULT rifle?  Wow I didn’t know they made those with select fire :roll:

Full Story at the L.A. Times – HERE

One of the other ladies that was working there (Lydia Carranza) managed to survive a gunshot to the chest.  According to the recent story on NBC L.A. the bullet entered her breast and deflated the implant.  The bullet fragments were millimeters away from her heart and her vital organs.

According to Wikipedia, Breast implants are either filled with saline or silicon gel.  Although it sounds unbelievable that a sack full of a liquid similar to water could stop a 7.62x39mm round, if you have ever shot at bottles of water you know how it can slow down a bullet, and destroy the integrity of it.

I believe this a lot more than the bullet proof fat story from a few days ago.  If the gunman indeed carried out the shooting with an SKS, Due to the high energy of the round, I would imagine that Lydia Carranza was either quite a distance away from the shooter, or even got hit due to a ricochet or another indirect method.  It seems improbable that she would have lived if it was a direct hit at close range.  Who knows though… stranger things have happened.

CinSC February 26, 2010 at 04:36 pm

Please tell me those are photoshopped.

Admin (Mike) February 26, 2010 at 07:43 pm

I hope so, or else that girl would need a steel reinforced back.

Josh February 26, 2010 at 05:51 pm

Well, obviously the journalist who wrote that story isn’t required to follow the strictest legal definitions to describe the weapon involved. And I’m sure that the vast majority of his audience would consider the term “assault rifle” to be an accurate description of the weapon involved. Hell, I don’t have a problem with it, and I know that it doesn’t meet the legal definition. It is, however, a rifle that meets the legal definition of “assault weapon.” Calling it an assault rifle accurately differentiates it from a high-powered hunting rifle like grandpa’s bolt action .30-06. Plus, at least he called it a SEMIAUTOMATIC assault weapon.

I’d say you must be right about it being something other than a direct hit. Even if an implant could absorb a direct hit (don’t get me wrong, I don’t think there’s any way that it could) I would think the whole implant would explode in her chest!

Admin (Mike) February 26, 2010 at 07:48 pm

True, I was actually a bit impressed at the journalist mentioning it was semiautomatic, and not just leaving it at “assault rifle”.

Adam February 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I hope those sweater cows are fake (photoshop) otherwise I can’t understand why an attractive girl would do that to herself cause thats not attractive at all.

Antibubba February 26, 2010 at 10:34 pm

She was wearing a level IIEEE vest.

RP-in-TX February 28, 2010 at 09:03 pm

Holy crap. I hunt coyotes with 7.62 x 39 and side shots almost always produce an exit wound. It’s pretty amazing that a round that can go through a coyote can be stopped by a breat implant.

Admin (Mike) March 1, 2010 at 02:24 pm

Yea, definitely a powerful round! I’d like more info on the actual implant hit, but sadly we will probably never know.