How The Media Views The AR-15

Hopefully if we keep on top of them, they will take due diligence seriously and start getting their facts and terminology correct on a regular basis.

BigWillie February 26, 2010 at 07:25 pm

Well when you’ve got even gunnies using incorrect terminology, it’s not looking good. Everyone at this gun shop I was at today was using clip instead of magazine…If I hadn’t spent the last two hours at the range I would have been really annoyed.

Admin (Mike) February 26, 2010 at 07:53 pm

Yea, irritating shoppers and employees at gun stores are some of the main reasons I buy everything gun related off the internet.

Tam March 1, 2010 at 09:50 am

Yeah! If only gun store employees knew as much as guys on the internets!

:p

moi February 26, 2010 at 07:55 pm

“and start getting their facts and terminology correct on a regular basis basis.”

Well before we hope that the Main Stream Media gets it right…we need to get gun types and gun media to get it right, small peeve is clips vs magazines, the other bigger one is “Assualt Weapon(s)”. Just because it has a detachable magazine and pistol grip, doesnt make it an AW, its still just a semi auto rifle. The gun culture really needs to fight back and make this differentiation.

Admin (Mike) February 26, 2010 at 07:58 pm

oops just corrected the double “basis” thanks!

Yea I figure if we keep making a big deal out of it everytime the media screws up they will eventually learn. They seem like pretty slow learners though, considering we have been on them about terms like “clip” and “assault rifle” a long time now.

Josh February 26, 2010 at 08:12 pm

I think you’re confusing the terms “assault weapon” and “assault rifle.” They are not the same. Assault weapons, as defined by the 1994 assault weapons ban and pertaining to rifles would be:

Any semiautomatic rifle made after 9/13/94, which can accept a detachable magazine and which has two or more of the following characteristics is a banned AW: Folding or telescoping stock, Pistol grip which protrudes conspicuously below the action of the gun, Bayonet mount, Flash suppressor or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, or Grenade launcher.

The weapon pictured above clearly meets the criteria to be classified as an “assault weapon.”

Henry Bowman February 26, 2010 at 09:10 pm

Translation: normal semi-automatic rifle with interesting but incidental furniture.

Josh February 26, 2010 at 09:50 pm

Those are all really fundamental design differences that separate “assault weapons” from more traditional semiautomatic rifles designed for hunting. Don’t get me wrong, I love ‘em. As a former soldier who carried a rifle very similar to the one pictured (except with a 14.5” bbl, a pop-up rear sight behind my M68, and an AN/PEQ-2), I would love to have one just like it. However, I would never be so disingenuous as to claim the differences amount to, simply, “incidental furniture.”

Roberta X March 1, 2010 at 09:08 pm

I’m callin’ BS on ya, Josh.

Josh March 1, 2010 at 09:12 pm

That statement’s a little too vague to properly address.

Grayson February 27, 2010 at 01:44 am

The media? Getting their ‘facts and terminology’ correct? Not even when Hell freezes over.
Your so-called mainstream media ignore facts and/or distort the truth, IF they can get away with it, for one simple reason: anything that make a news story more sensational is almost always believed to gather more viewers attention, thus increasing that particular news organization’s “ratings”. Boring news, on the other hand, causes viewers to switch the channel.
As far as the media are concerned, doing ANYTHING that might reduce their ratings is not a harmless little prank like aggravated first degree torture and murder. Anything that inconvieniently makes their news story less interesting, such as the truth, gets dumped down the toilet. Welcome to the United States news industry.
And unless people start rudely bitch-slapping reporters EVERY TIME they make a stupid, ignorant, easily corrected mistake, this state of affairs WILL CONTINUE.

Journalists tend to get really ill-tempered when I express these sentiments. Let them.
Not long ago, when I spoke my mind in a public forum, a couple of young reporters proceeded to get in my face, even going as far as making thinly veiled threats to ruin my reputation and credibility. Things didn’t go that far, though.
The punch line?
Neither of those reporters bothered to get my correct name.
Enough said.

Admin (Mike) February 27, 2010 at 02:11 pm

Good point Grayson.

That’s awesome that you called the journalists out on their little sensationalism game.

Lance March 1, 2010 at 08:37 am

You forgot to mention the evil bayonet lug and the shoulder-thing that goes up. ;-)

Admin (Mike) March 1, 2010 at 02:51 pm

Good point, putting a knife on a gun is absolute madness, and needs to be included!!!! :P

Mayor Joel Stoner March 1, 2010 at 11:17 am

I recently read an article saying we should start referring so called “Assault Weapons/Rifles” be referred to as MSR’s (Modern Sporting Rifles). This sounds like a good idea to me. Get as far away from Assault as possible.

Admin (Mike) March 1, 2010 at 02:53 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. It is the media that needs to get on board though. I think most of us gun owners just refer to them as “AR-15s” or “black rifles” maybe that is just my friends and I though.

dustydog March 1, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Welcome to the 21st century.
A clip holds the bullets. A magazine is what you read articles from.
A bullet is what you buy in boxes, to put in the clip. A cartridge is what goes into vintage video game consoles.
A projectile is what flies out of the front of a gun; this is also called a bullet. A casing is what flies out from the side of the gun. A spent cartridge is what you trade in at the video game store to get somebody’s else’s used video game, after you have traded it in.
The little piece of metal or plastic that holds bullets together, so you can stick them into your rifle or revolver all at once? That is not a clip. It is called the thingy that the guys with outdated technology have to use.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Admin (Mike) March 1, 2010 at 02:53 pm