iPhone IPSC Shot Timer Roundup

IPSC Timer – $4.99

Taurus Timer – FREE

Shot Timer Pro – $18.99

YouTube Preview Image

SureFire Shot Timer – FREE

YouTube Preview Image

I haven’t tried any of these apps, but $18.99 for the Shot Timer Pro is a ridiculous price for an iPhone app, and judging buy the website it has little to no advantages over the free ones.

The SureFire shot timer definitely looks like the best option to try out first, before spending any money.

adam April 19, 2010 at 04:27 pm

i have hard problem with rapid fire the mic doesnt count all the shots

Admin (Mike) April 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm

weak :/ even with the sensitivity turned all the way up?

Rob April 19, 2010 at 04:53 pm

How about Android apps?

Admin (Mike) April 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I’m not very familiar with the android platform. The results of a google search for “android shot timer” seem to suggest that there are some apps in the works though.

Jesse April 20, 2010 at 06:50 am

It’s reasonably easy to develop for the Android so if it’s not being done and I get overly ambitious I can make it happen.

Rob Robideau April 20, 2010 at 09:47 am

I have one called ShotClock for android that I can’t get to work. $.99

Chad April 20, 2010 at 01:15 am

I use the SureFire shot timer and it has worked well for me. I’ve tested it with both rimfire and centerfire pistols. Since it’s free, it easy enough to try out. I checked it against a CED timer.

Admin (Mike) April 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Nice, thanks for the report Chad.

Micheal April 20, 2010 at 08:51 am

Have a Itouch,and found out,or perhaps just me, neither of the free apps from Surefire nor Taurus work with the Itouch.

Again, it could just be me, which would not surprise me. But as of now, neither work with the Itouch platform.

DUNsho April 20, 2010 at 09:15 am

you need to get a mic for the ipod touch. they both work for me.

Chad April 20, 2010 at 02:25 pm

DUN is right, the first gen iPod Touch does not have a mic, only the later models do. You can get a cheap micro-sized plug in mic for a couple of bucks on the Internet.

Chad April 20, 2010 at 05:21 pm

Here’s an example of the mic I was thinking of:

Hope this helps someone.

Admin (Mike) April 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Thanks Chad!

TheGrayBeard April 25, 2010 at 10:00 am

FWIW, I’ve used the Surefire timer on an iPhone 3GS and had intermittent results. Seems that turning the audio trigger up or down out of some sweet spot makes it stop working. Darn near impossible to find that sweet spot.

I’ve used in indoors more than out, and it gets triggered by a guy four lanes over but not by me.

I’d love to see more instructions on how to set it properly.

Admin (Mike) April 25, 2010 at 11:51 am

That sucks that it’s so sensitive. I guess it would be hard to avoid background noise setting it off no matter what, unless you somehow managed to have a directional mic hooked up and facing only the shooter.

Savo June 14, 2010 at 10:17 am

I’m developer of Shot timer PRO application. Price was reduced to $9.99. Timer uses state of the art detection algorithm and developing and testing was quite expensive therefore price must be a little higher than others. It has few features that other timers don’t have such as: detection WORKS, save shots to history and slave mode so you can compare it to CED timers and you will see it for your self how accurate it is. If someone wish to test it please contact me via our website contact form and I will give you promotion code so you can download it free in exchange for honest review in appstore. Note that promotional codes are available only for US appstore accounts.

email me to support (at) sis (dot) si

Admin (Mike) June 15, 2010 at 11:13 pm

That’s nice of you Savo, I wish I had an iphone or ipod touch to take advantage of your offer!

Jess August 25, 2011 at 05:01 pm

Savo, is there a way on an iPhone4 to use an external microphone without disabeling the speaker? The mic built into the iPhone was not picking up shots, so I plugged in theearbuds that Apple includes with the iPhone 4. It has a built in mic, but you have to use the earbuds to hear the thimer’s beep. I tried a regular mic and it also turned off the iPhone’s speakers. Do you know of a mic that would work that does not also turn off the speakers?

Nekator February 24, 2014 at 03:37 pm

Fantastic, I was having the same problem. iPhone 4 would not pick up the shots… so I’ll give the earbuds a try and see if that works. I am thinking of somehow drilling a hole into my earmuffs to allow for the earbud to be inside… I hope it will at least make me look more gadgety-navy seal-ninja cool.

Shawn July 4, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I bought the Shot Timer Pro after the price dropped ($9.99 CDN), and used it once. Outstanding app. On my second outing, I loaded up, holstered up set the timer up, got it running, and waited for the beep. And waited. And waited.

No beep.

I’ve got an e-mail in with SIS software, and hopefully they’ll help me out with this. I’ve tried everything, double checked that the phone was on audible. Turned the volume all the way up. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing.

Admin (Mike) September 3, 2010 at 08:09 pm

Did you end up getting your issue with the shot timer worked out Shawn?

Clint August 11, 2010 at 07:35 pm

Savo, I bought Shot Timer Pro and am so far happy with it. I would like to see a PAR timer in future updates to it. Thanks

Savo January 21, 2011 at 01:15 pm

it has been added in last update. Just update it via appstore.

Paricutin November 16, 2010 at 11:12 am

Slave mode does not work… Shot timer pro is not triggered by any external beep or whistle. Should I create a separate profile for the external timer (or what else)? I’ve tried many types of external timer (CED 7000 and sp…eed timer 3000), how can I fix it?

Kimmo Veijalainen January 12, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Slave mode works on my iphone. After upgrading to iphone4 I had to re-record profiles… but it works better than othet timers I’ve trief (ie. all that are available on app store).
I recommend getting an iphone wrist holster from dealxtreme.
I’ll probably get an external mic eventually (I lost the one that came with the phone)…

Savo January 21, 2011 at 01:14 pm

Hi shooters

Shot timer PRO was released for android. You can find in android market. Timer is not free it costs $9.99 USD.

search android market for “ipsc”

Shooting timer with state of the art shot detection algorithm that WORKS in any condition with any calibre. Mainly designed for IPSC shooters but works great for other disciplines such as: IDPA, IASC, SAS. Test yourself how fast can you shoot! Tested by professionals for professionals. Works like no other timer.

Main Features:
✓ State of the art shot detection algorithm that WORKS in any condition (Indoor & outdoor)
✓ Record your own shot profiles for each calibre or environment (from airsoft to .50 BMG calibre)
✓ Detects fast repeated shots even from automatic weapon
✓ Advanced detection algorithm eliminates surrounding shots
✓ Shot detection fine tuning
✓ Specific or random timer delay
✓ 5 different starting beeps
✓ Save shooting results (history)
✓ Replay shooting results
✓ Timer shows last shot, number of shots, splits between shots, loudness of each shot
✓ Detailed view of each shot separately

Android version does not have PAR mode, Strings and slave mode.

if you have any questions you can contact me at: savo (at) sis (dot) si
Let me know what you think.

Roman February 14, 2011 at 02:10 pm

The only app that show up searching android market for IPSC is “IPSC Shot Timer”. What happened to yours?

Carlos March 12, 2011 at 09:38 am

Are you planing to add the option to save the target results like other software is. I mean save results of shooting stage how many A’s B’ C’s poppers and mettal targets etc…. Tied to the rimer results ??????

Cyrus April 25, 2011 at 08:00 pm

Any shot timers you guys know for BB Tourch?

Thanks