Obama Assassination Used To Teach Geometry In Alabama School

Birmingham, AL – The teacher was apparently teaching his geometry students about parallel lines and angles, officials said. He used the example of where to stand and aim if shooting Obama.

“He was talking about angles and said, ‘If you’re in this building, you would need to take this angle to shoot the president,’ ” said Joseph Brown, a senior in the geometry class.

Efforts to reach the teacher for comment Mon­day were unsuccessful.

Superintendent Phil Hammonds said the teacher remains at work, and there are no plans for termination.

Full Story – HERE

Are you shitting me? Wow, and they don’t plan to fire him either.  Seems like a huge liability to let this tool teach kids ever again.

Can you imagine if instead, a student had a notebook with “assassination” calculations in it?!?! Talk about a double standard.

Chase May 19, 2010 at 05:36 am

This is bullshit!

Students have been suspended because they wrote a FICTIONAL STORY in which someone kills someone else. We’ve got a double standard out the ass here.

Then again, the Secret Service found no credible threat, so maybe it’s not as bad as it looks.

Admin (Mike) May 21, 2010 at 03:27 am

No kidding… pretty much every story I wrote in school involved shooting and knives and guns! I guess it was a different time though.

RobertM May 19, 2010 at 07:20 am

I graduated from that high school. I know the teacher. Based on that, I know he’s a joker and he’ll use just about anything to make things stick in your mind so you’ll remember them. I actually learned a lot from him.

That said, he was a jerk and his big mouth was bound to get him in trouble. A local article say’s he has been suspended and faces firing.

PP May 19, 2010 at 05:45 pm

Yeah, my statistics teacher this semester uses the same tactics: She was using the probability of a terrorist attack occurring in NYC *tomorrow* as an example of a Poisson’s distribution (Which is used to find extremely low probabilities)

While I like the method and the idea, needless to say, no one in the class liked the idea.

Mr. Teacher should have used an older example: like JFK or something awesome like Carlos Hathcock or Craig Harrison

Admin (Mike) May 21, 2010 at 03:32 am

I agree, there are plenty of examples in history that you could do the math for, and not raise any eyebrows.

Admin (Mike) May 21, 2010 at 03:35 am

It’s unfortunate that it happened. But when you start charging kids for being “terrorists” because of a stick figure sketch they made, or pointing a “finger gun” at a teacher, it would be pretty hard to just sweep this under the rug.

Pete May 19, 2010 at 07:33 am

waaaaaaay over the line…….

Travis May 19, 2010 at 09:09 am

I am a geometry teacher, and getting kids to relate to angles and trig is not easy. Ballistics is a basic way to do that. Usually throwing a ball is sufficient. Maybe shooting a deer. If you must use a president, JFK is a perfect example. I expect there was some anti Obama sentiment from the kids, and the teacher ran with it. Sometimes a teacher runs with what the kids are talking about, its called a “Teachable Moment”. I remember doing a lesson on Algebra functions, planning to use career and salary for numbers, so I asked a male student what he wanted to be when he grew up. Naturally, he wanted to be a prostitute. But the lesson when on, we did math on prostitution: how many tricks to turn, etc. Now in retrospect, I am sure some parents would have been horrified, but its only math. And making kids see how math is in their daily lives all the time when they won’t admit it is no easy task.

Admin (Mike) May 21, 2010 at 03:31 am

Naturally, he wanted to be a prostitute.

LOL awesome. Yea I’m sure that wouldn’t have gone over well with some parents.