Marine Corps Letter Response To Child Applicant

I like stuff like that.  I can only imagine how such a response would have made that kid’s day.

Judging by the yellowing of the paper, and the fact it appears to be typed and not printed, i’m assuming it must be fairly old.

I’m curious if Bill Dobrow is a Devil Dog by now. I did a couple of quick google searches and couldn’t come up with anything to suggest he is… but that doesn’t mean he isn’t, seeing as not everyone likes to advertise their career all over the internet.

Josh June 16, 2010 at 08:05 am

“Bill Dobrow was twelve years old when he decided to join the Marines. The Corps politely declined, encouraging him to get his high-school diploma before enlisting. Not long after, he received this letter (referring to the one posted). Bill, who’d been messing around on the drums for a couple of years, formed his first band. Bill let the Marines go, but he stuck with the drums: in recent years, he has recorded and toured with the Black Crowes, Sean Lennon, and Martha Wainwright, among others.”

From the Book, “Other People’s Rejection Letters: Relationship Enders, Career Killers, and 150 Other Letters You’ll Be Glad You Didn’t Receive,” edited by Bill Shapiro.

Admin (Mike) June 19, 2010 at 02:53 pm

haha when I googled his name I saw that Black Crowes guitarist of the same name, but I thought it was too much of a coincidence so I never put that in the article. Where did you find that info? I still can’t find it when I google parts of that quote.

Josh June 19, 2010 at 03:02 pm

HOW I found it might be difficult to describe. I have some sort of uncanny ability to choose just the right terms to search for and quickly sift through results for something relevant. I don’t even understand it myself! :)

But, I can tell you where you can find it. If you go to Google books and search for that book title, then search for Dobrow in the search pane on the left you should be able to find the page with that on it.

Admin (Mike) June 19, 2010 at 03:05 pm

you have skillz Josh!

Corey June 16, 2010 at 10:36 am

Funny, I wrote the CIA when I was a kid to see if they needed child agents haha and got the same sort of letter. They also sent me a patch and a couple of books. Looking back, it was pretty surprising that I got a response at all.

Admin (Mike) June 19, 2010 at 02:55 pm

haha that’s awesome. Check the book and the patch.. they may have been bugged :P