2009 FBI Murder Statistics By State And Type Of Weapon Used

Summary:

• Murders total – 13636
  • Murders with handguns – 6452 (47.32%)
  • Murders with rifles – 348 (2.55%)
  • Murders with shotguns – 418 (3.07%)
  • Murders with unknown firearms – 1928 (14.14%)
  • Murder with knives or cutting instruments – 1825 (13.38%)
  • Murders with other weapons – 1864 (13.67%)
  • Murders with hands, fists, feet etc.. – 801 (5.87%)

Summary of the 2009 crime statistics – HERE

List of Murders by state and types of weapon used – HERE

Can’t say I’m shocked at the results, nor the ranking of each individual state. Nice to see there was a decline in violent crime at least.

19 COMMENTS - JUMP DOWN ↓ TO ADD YOUR OWN

elscorcho_73 September 14, 2010 at 09:51 am

where is florida? has my state finally been declared an official part of cuba and haiti?

Josh September 14, 2010 at 09:04 pm

I don’t want to suggest that this study/data is flawed, however, I certainly have to question data that leaves out the state of Florida (which probably has pretty significant violent crime statistics), and includes D.C. as a state. That is comically stupid. Way to go FBI.

Admin (Mike) September 16, 2010 at 06:49 pm

holy, that is pretty bad

Genepoz January 11, 2013 at 06:47 pm

Both Vermont and Wyoming have smaller populations than D.C.

Admin (Mike) September 16, 2010 at 06:46 pm

LOL good question. I didn’t count to make sure they were all there… I wonder if others are missing?

josh September 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

looks like they replace Florida with District of Columbia as a State to keep the list at 50 LOL

TSN4 September 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

In almost every state the number of people beaten to death dwarfs the number killed by the evil black rifles if you combine fists , knives and “other weapons” then it’s not even close anywhere. I guess they are not as evil as the libs would like us to believe….

bryce September 14, 2010 at 03:05 pm

I love it. California leads the way in some of the strictest gun control but yet has the highest murder count in the nation
WOW gun control really works

Admin (Mike) September 16, 2010 at 06:51 pm

hehe yea that was my first thought too. The population there is many times higher than lots of other states though, but even if we looked at it a per capita I bet cali would be pretty high up there.

Czechnology September 14, 2010 at 07:41 pm

What I’d love to see in this statistic is – in the solved crimes with firearms – is the ratio of legal/ilegal guns.
Or is it even possible to clearly distinguish what is a legally owned firearm in all the US states?
(in my country all – with the exception of some BP and antique guns – the civilian-owned firearms have to be registered and are periodically (5yrs) briefly checked, rest is marked as black market)

Admin (Mike) September 16, 2010 at 06:53 pm

There are forms here you have to fill out when buying new. Face to face transfers of used guns (which are allowed in most states) are all off the books though.

Eric Thompson November 10, 2010 at 07:28 am

Looks like the FBI took the links down, at least for today. I get an error message that the URL is no good when I click on the links.

Admin (Mike) November 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm

hmmm you’re right… both links are down.

Florida Boi January 12, 2011 at 06:39 pm

Florida never reported their data, that is why it is excluded.

dennis January 14, 2011 at 02:03 pm

Is suicide considered murder? For this purpose I think suicide should have its own category.

Lisa December 10, 2012 at 11:11 am

Links still don’t work. Crappy FBI. These numbers are nothing compared to the death statistics for anything else, all topping gun related deaths (also 2009 numbers):

Heart disease: 599,413