CZ 805 BREN

Promo video for their new rifle:

CZ has really been stepping their game up lately when it comes to design.

The CZ 805 BREN page on their website – HERE

Microwave October 30, 2010 at 11:08 am

It seems to be an ACR knock-off design, although better looking in my opinion

Ed October 30, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Also there’s a possibility that people can afford one.

CZ has always made great weapons. The CZ 75 was the first of the more ergonomic ones, but even look at the CZ52, that pistol was built like a tank and reliable as well.

Czechnology November 1, 2010 at 08:26 am

…even the CZ 24 / 27 ;)

But do tou know the funny looking vz. 38 “Louskáček” (Nutcracker)? :)

Czechnology November 1, 2010 at 08:23 am

Hehe, ACR is also the abbreviation to the czech army (Armáda České republiky).

But you’re right. Too bad that practically all of the new rifles “for the 21st century” look almost identical :(

michael October 30, 2010 at 08:33 pm

great video. i love the cross cut view of the round being chambered, and then the round going down the barrel.

Will October 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Looks like the SCAR and G36 had a baby.

Bima October 31, 2010 at 12:02 am

yeah, nice looking rifle.. it does look like the SCAR, but personally i think the stock looks kinda weird..

Jeff October 31, 2010 at 01:20 am

The Czech Republic always seems to produce some pretty impressive firearms.. but i feel like they don’t quite do anything new or innovative

Czechnology November 1, 2010 at 08:19 am

How about the CZ75 pistol? vz 58 assault rifle? vz 61 Skorpion submachine gun? ZB vz. 26 light machine gun (BREN mg was based on this) or the Sa 24 / 26 submachine gun (the similarity to the later UZI is not a coincidence ;) ).
There are enough.

JonMac October 31, 2010 at 07:43 pm

Why are they calling it a BREN? The Enfield factory closed 25 years ago.

Czechnology November 1, 2010 at 08:21 am

Not sure. Maybe as a tribute to the czech contribution to the BREN (BRno ENfield) machinge gun.

Czechnology November 1, 2010 at 08:40 am

I still haven’t got it in my hands so I can just hope it’s gonna work well and not put our troops in Afghanistan and elsewhere in danger.

But what really pisses me off is that although there was a public tender (a strange one but anyway) and a lot of discussions about if we need a new rifle or not, there was absolutely no discussion about the ammunition type! From the beginning they just said the new rifle *must* be a 5.56 NATO. Considering the milions of 7.62×39 rounds the army has in the storage and the problems with 5.56 reported by the foreign troops (and even considerations of switching *back* to heavier rounds), this was just simply put there.

I still love my vz. 58 with 7.62×39 more – simple design, machined metal body (compared to the stamped sheet metal of AKs), heavier round, very reliable and a big ejection “port” (it’s not a port, it’s simply big opening :) ) makes it a sturdy reliable firearm.

Jake Dorsey November 2, 2010 at 04:46 pm

The website says it’ll also be offered in 7.62 x 39 mm, with 6.8 x 43 mm thrown in, too. Are you talking about the Czech army?

Czechnology November 3, 2010 at 07:43 am

Well they say it should be easy to change not only the caliber but also “purpopse” of the rifle, e.g. to light machine gun, with just a few actions.
But yeah, I was concerned about the czech army – switching ammunition caliber is a very expensive thing even for a small army and 5.56 might be even dangerous compared to the heavier round (e.g. enemy can shoot through a heavier wall while you can’t).
And I don’t think it’s really needed (but then again I don’t think new rifles are really needed, only new accessories but that’s just me).

But those are just my opinions which might not be perfectly correct, I’m no expert. What I was saying is that I really missed *any* discussion in the media, politics and army about the caliber, just about the rifles. A different caliber was somehow given. And I’m worried it’s just because we wanna look more “western” by using ammo that has the letters “NATO” in it and what almost every western country uses.

btw, the public tender can be found here: http://www.army.cz/images/id_15001_16000/15035/002.doc
(sorry, only in czech but you can try the translator: HERE )

Hockler November 1, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Hopefully there will be a civilian variant for the US. I read on their site they have a model or accessory that allows it to accept M16 magazines and I have plenty of those it could share.

Big fan of their stuff though. I’ve got three CZ75’s – a ’79 short-rail, an ’80 2nd gen, and a PCR custom (Pro-Tek 1 from CZ Custom). All very solid and well-made designs.

Admin (Mike) November 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

According to the site it’s modular, and they offer it in 5.56… so the standard AR15/M16 mags would work fine.

Owen November 3, 2010 at 12:40 am

Am I the only one who noticed they could afford a PEQ-2 but wear Mechanix Gloves?

Czechnology November 3, 2010 at 07:20 am