AK-47 Bump Safety

I have 3 words for this guy:

RIFLE IS FINE.

That said, it’s definitely an interesting idea.  I don’t really know AKs that well so I have no idea if there is a market for something like this.

032125 May 24, 2011 at 01:23 am

I’ve been watching this kid’s designs for over a year now. There is a market, and his ideas are simple and brilliant. I hope he makes a killing.

Ed May 24, 2011 at 01:33 am

There are simpler solutions than this for using the AK safety without moving your grip. I’m glad he finally made the charging system non-reciprocating, but it still is up there on a hot gas tube. Too close for my hands even if the handle stays cool. He’s got some good ideas, but as Shpagin said, “Complexity is easy, simplicity is difficult.” I modify all my safety levers to be used as the Krebs safeties and other manufacturers produce.

This is the entire philosophy around the design of the AK. A lot of people want to more complex devices to run an AK like a different rifle. The problem is that it is not a different rifle. People need to get over the concept that every rifle should have controls in the same places as the M16.

AK May 24, 2011 at 08:44 am

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I’m sick of seeing BHO (bolt hold open) modifications. Why is that cool? You fire the last round, bolt locks back, then you have to manually move the selector to safe to hold the bolt carrier back, remove the mag, insert a fresh mag, then manually move the safety again so the bolt can slam forward.

How is that any more high speed than me emptying a mag, putting a fresh one in, and charging the weapon? With the regular BHO mods you have to perform an extra step. Its not faster, its not cooler.

But I’ll admit, if BHO is your cup of tea then this guy really has something neat.

Ed May 24, 2011 at 06:22 pm

For me the only function that I miss about the bolt hold open is the visual indication and immediate feel of an empty rifle. The Yugoslavians have AK magazines that lock the bolt back on the last round because the follower is in the way of the bolt. When you remove the magazine the bolt will close and you then reload in the exact same manner as anyone else reloads their AK. No extra parts, no complicated mechanisms, no new controls to acclimate yourself to, no bs. It works for it’s purpose.

cc19 May 24, 2011 at 10:40 am

I dumped a few mags through my SGL21 over the weekend and whoo-boy was that thing cookn’. I woud not want my hand there either.

Agreed on the controls opinion too – stack too many extras and you get a, “Rube Goldberg,” effect.

A+ for effort though. Hopefully he’s successful.

Huey148 May 24, 2011 at 08:59 am

the way it works its more of a “bump to fire” than “bump safe”…but of course we know the problems of marketing it that way….

Lyndon Boyd March 23, 2013 at 09:51 pm

Great idea… I made one for mine with internal spring to keep it in safe position until I’m ready.I removed indent in reciever to allow ease of movement.

Joe May 24, 2011 at 05:03 pm

After using several AKs in Iraq, I love the idea. The safety on an AK tends to stick or to be really difficult to operate. What we used to do was to leave the weapon “hot” while not having a round in the chamber. It was easier to chamber a round than to flip the safety selector.

That one guy May 25, 2011 at 03:37 am

” I don’t really know AKs that well “.
You disappoint me :c

Also, that music makes my ears want to bleed.

As for the thingy it’s self, DO WANT.

That Guy May 25, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yes, there is a market for this. The ratchet charging handle is pure genius, and if he ever actually offers them for sale, I will put one on my WASR.

That safety is a step in the right direction, but I don’t like the idea that you could off-safe the gun just by picking it up by the handgrip. I think it needs a few tweaks to make it something I would mount on my AK.

PFULMTL May 25, 2011 at 04:02 pm

Don’t need it.

Lyndon Boyd March 23, 2013 at 09:54 pm

Love it…made one of my own with internal spring to hold in safe position until ready to fire.

Real Life September 14, 2015 at 04:49 pm

Geez, slow down a little so people can see how this actually works. Yeah, you’re cool because you go as fast as possible….okay.