Top Douchebag Jake Zweig Wants More Attention

I got his attention with this:

This morning I roll out of bed and see this in my inbox:

LOL

Just to re-iterate what happened… he was on a national TV show, completely embarassed his family, country etc. with his actions, and he wants his picture removed from my site so no one knows who he is.  ROFL ever heard of google?  Your picture is seriously tens of thousands of places on the internet, granted they aren’t naming you “top douchebag”, but when they see your face or a video of you in action that’s pretty much implied.

We obviously know the underlying purpose of that email though.  Whether I removed/edited the picture or not, judging from the “THAT’S RACIST!” card that has been pulled in the past to get attention, and the Jake Zweig shooting targets that he no doubt endorses (but doesn’t make a dime off because no one gives a shit about him outside of top shot) this is just another cry for attention.   He emails me threatening to sue, I post about it, and we both win.

Even though I don’t religiously watch Top Shot, thank god they haven’t yet pulled a “Survivor” and had past losers back on the show.  That is just way too much of an ego boost which no one benefits from.

Jake, my offer still stands about giving me your address.  I might even throw in some food/survival supplies in the mix because I feel slightly bad that since appearing on top shot, you are no doubt 100% unemployable.  Oh wait.. according to your twitter byline you are a “Motivational Leader, expert in dealing with risk-taking behavior, and innovator” that’s gotta be worth millions of dollars a year right there, my bad bro.

What do you guys think about all this?

Dillankid November 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

Freaking hilarious. There was an interesting interview on kitup with him…full of more excuses and stuff. http://kitup.military.com/2011/10/interactive-qa-with-jake-zweig-of-top-shot.html#idc-container

I hope you didn’t make him cry…poor guy.

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

What an oxygen thief that guy is.

Dave November 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Ha! I actually asked the first question on that interview. You beat me too it!

His answer didn’t even make sense. And the flak he got was so hardcore they had to disable the comments.

Dillankid, did you find that Brandon Webb was bending over backwards for this dude just cause he was a SEAL? I would be embarrased and try to distance myself.

Dillankid November 3, 2011 at 01:30 pm

I really thought it was odd – he was trying his darnedest to make Jake look like a good guy, like you said probably because of the SEAL status… Then the interview(s) killed any shadow of a doubt :-)

I was so ready to comment after reading the interview – but I got in after they had already locked it :-(

Dillankid November 3, 2011 at 01:36 pm

Oh, good question to kick it off by the way :-) Yours and the last question seemed to be the best, most direct – and his answers were a waste of time…

Dave November 3, 2011 at 08:32 pm

Yeah, Brandon said that they were gonna kick out any biased questions so I thought it was the best one next to “If I submitted a FOIA request for your service record, what would it be?” :)

Petey November 3, 2011 at 11:16 am

“Google Faggotry Filter” lol! That made my morning.

What a disgrace to SEALs and humanity.

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Yeah those google filters are helpful.

SKSkid November 3, 2011 at 03:55 pm

No joke, the implementation of the Google Faggotry filter was the main reason I switched over from hotmail. Micro$oft is light years behind in faggot detection, it is really frustrating.

Frank November 3, 2011 at 06:19 pm

LOL, I just saw that and was going to comment on that!

Odysseus November 3, 2011 at 11:26 am

If Top Douchebag doesn’t qualify as fair-use parody what would?

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Heh yea no kidding. I don’t pretend to know anything about law, and I don’t feel like consuming any more of my time by actually setting up a meeting with my lawyer to discuss this so It was just easier to make a joke out of redacting his face.

foxtrot November 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

summer’s eve? isn’t that the generic brand? you could pop for a name brand douche; after all he did win top douche bag not top shot.

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm

He deserves nothing better than the bottom of the barrel. If I could pick up a used one on ebay or amazon for him I would.

Jwhite November 3, 2011 at 01:02 pm

Oh snaps. I was like “summers eve?’

I get it now…

*Laughs all the way home*

This dude… “You have 2 hours” Until what? 2 hours until he cleans the sand out of his vagina?
LOL… What ever dude.

Jesse November 3, 2011 at 11:38 am

It’s fairly obnoxious that he gave you 2 hours to remove his picture. I mean really? What if you were busy doing just about anything else in the world?

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm

2 hours is just a bluff. If he actually was planning on suing he would have got a lawyer to send over an actual threat.

McThag November 4, 2011 at 11:31 pm

And your lawyer would tell him, “Welcome to being a public figure you ring-knocking douchebag.”

Perlguy November 3, 2011 at 11:41 am

Jake’s cowardly act on “Top Shot” was appalling. I am guessing that the only type of “seal” he was in the Navy was sealing other guys O-rings. What a pussy.

godlike November 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

so why did you take it down again? history has the copyright, this seems like fair use…

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

meh if he wanted to go through with it he would just end up claiming “racism” or “harassment” likely anyway. I’ve got too much to do to worry about pissants like him slowing my roll.

Vhyrus November 3, 2011 at 01:17 pm

Harassment is on a different scale for public figures than us commoners. Since you aren’t selling his image or attaching it to a product then it’s fair game. The worst he can do is a cease and desist anyway so I say roll with it.

Dave November 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Don’t give in to his douchebaggery! He’ll jsut get off to this minor victory.

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm

haha so true. I know some lawyers must read this blog. It would be nice if they helped me out with stuff like this for free!

GPAT November 3, 2011 at 07:10 pm

not an att. but I’m pretty sure the pic belonged to History Channel, not to mention you were not harassing him or slandering him. He has NO legal leverage, if the HC puts it on their website and you can copy it, it’s public domain unless the douch copyrighted his face

Josh November 3, 2011 at 07:19 pm

I wonder how many people over the years have gotten in serious trouble because of their naive belief that if something is on a website, it’s public domain?

GPAT November 3, 2011 at 07:29 pm

probably none- (and dont cite illegal song downloading cuz no one thinks thats public)

If the owner of a something wants to protect the dissemination of that something, be it money a song or, in this case a photo, they are charged with the reasonable protection of that something. Consider the dollar I have in my pocket, I am currently protecting it so as so as you try to steal my wallet I have a case against you. However, if I set my dollar on the sidewalk and hide in a bush to jump out at you as soon as you bend over to take it, I no longer have a case against you, I was not actively in the protection/maintenance of my so called property.

So if the owner of an image does not want it to be removed from their website they must take the steps so that it does not travel (ie watermarking their name into the photo or not allowing a right-click to copy). Yes Josh you dang samentic-Nazi, it is not technically ‘public domain’ in the legal sense everyone has access to it like a park bench, but it is public in the sense that HC has an expectation (or perhaps even a hope) it will disseminate.

Josh November 3, 2011 at 07:59 pm

…probably none…

That’s laughable. People have certainly gotten into trouble for taking and using photos from other people’s websites (usually for commercial purposes). You don’t think you might run into a cease and desist letter, followed by a lawsuit if you didn’t, if you took a copyrighted photo from a website and used it to advertise a product

It’s not “sEmAntics.” The fact that you would call a park bench “public domain” indicates that you don’t quite understand the concept – some entity owns that park bench; it’s tangible property. And I guess, by your logic, if someone places a park bench somewhere and isn’t actively protecting it, it’s fair game, huh?

Whether or not they have an expectation or even a hope that a photo will be distributed is immaterial; they still have the right to pursue a legal action should they choose, and I’ll bet there’s a copyright notice on their website somewhere. By your logic, if I write a story, or a scientific paper, or whatever, and put it on my website for people to read, it’s perfectly ok if everyone who reads it copies it to their website – it doesn’t work that way.

The bottom line is, despite the fact that History Channel posted the photo for everyone to see, they absolutely have a right to demand that it be taken down if they don’t like how it’s being used. That being said, I would wait for History Channel to demand I take it down, not that dickface.

Josh November 3, 2011 at 08:00 pm

God damn it; forget the slashes in my html closes

GPAT November 3, 2011 at 09:40 pm

Your confusing public domain (ie ownership) with public access which is why your analogy is flawed. So yes, the open park bench is fair game if your not sitting in it, not for me to take as it bolted into the ground but for me to sit it. When mike posted the photo his access to it did not diminish the photo, he didn’t steal the entire park bench so to speak. Furthermore, a photo is not intellectual property (music, schematics) nor is the one in question art. Just like if you were in public I could take your picture or video you without your permission one can take unrestricted data from the internet which is public space.

In response to writing an article analogy, yes I could take it but that would be called plagiarism. Mike is not stating he he took the photo or is responsible for the photo, we all know is it associated with the history channel.

We do agree on one thing, Jake has nothing to do with the photo only HC

Josh November 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Your[sic] misunderstanding the fact that “public domain” as we’re using it applies to intellectual property, and the ownership of copyright to it.

While it is correct that you can take photos or video in a public place, and generally use it in any way you please (because copyright belongs to the creator at the time of creation, i.e., you own it) it’s not even close to correct (or being “just like”) that you can just take whatever you want from the internet in the same manner and use it however you please.

You have no idea what your[sic] talking about. It would only be plagiarism if you claimed credit for it. Still, you could not legally take an article and post it on your website without permission, despite the fact that it happens all the time. It happens all the time because, a) it’s easy to do, b) it’s hard to track and, c) unless it’s causing the author monetary or other real damages, they may not care. However, I could absolutely demand that you take it off of your website, and legally force you to do so (by obtaining an court ordered injunction ordering you to refrain from posting material which I own copyright to). I could also sue you for copyright infringement; but unless damages could be proven, it would be pointless to take it beyond forcing the removal of the item in question.

I hope no one is relying on your advice about matters like these.

Dave November 3, 2011 at 08:34 pm

Just remember, lawyers cost him money too. And he didn’t win that 100K after all.

Cougar November 3, 2011 at 01:00 pm

It seems about par for this douchebag’s course. I hope next season the have another SEAL on the show who makes it his stated purpose to be the antithesis of Jake, i.e. not be a whiny bitch, own his mistakes, compete like a gentleman, and win and lose with candor. You know, like an officer and gentleman would.

Josh November 3, 2011 at 01:06 pm

What a turd. What’s next? I suppose he’ll probably want permission for using his name. I’d email him to congratulate him on the win, but Bryant University apparently doesn’t list email addresses for the lowest coaches on the totem pole. Or maybe they had it posted at one point, but he threatened to sue because they did so without permission.

Dillankid November 3, 2011 at 01:45 pm
Vhyrus November 3, 2011 at 01:45 pm

Yeah… Um if anything is going to get you in trouble Mike its posting his private email.

Dillankid November 3, 2011 at 01:53 pm

Pretty sure if there isn’t a privacy agreement of some sort that anything he decides to send to Mike can be shown wherever Mike wants to show it…

Dillankid November 3, 2011 at 01:56 pm

Don’t take that as legal advice though – I’m just a stupid designer :-)

Cougar November 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

Yeah because there’s no way you could possibly guess that email address

Josh November 3, 2011 at 03:01 pm

LOL. Good catch. I skimmed over the pictures, read the post, and then got all caught up in reading the comments. It would be funnier if he got a bunch of emails at a .edu address congratulating him on his win!

Jacob November 3, 2011 at 01:23 pm

Doesn’t use of this content fall under “Fair Use” law? “Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship.”

dagamore November 3, 2011 at 01:27 pm

why the job change, I thought he was a college foot ball couch?

Josh November 3, 2011 at 01:32 pm

Using another person’s name or photograph. And this, although about a Canadian case, mentions that the Canada’s Supreme Court rejected U.S. case law that states, “that the publication of a photo without consent is permitted if it serves a ‘socially useful’ purpose.” Exposing an oxygen-wasting douche seems like a “socially useful” purpose to me.

Vhyrus November 3, 2011 at 01:47 pm

The hook of that law is commercial use. Since Mike isn’t using his image to sell or promote anything, its fair game.

Josh November 3, 2011 at 02:12 pm

I think my second link may not have worked; it’s not working for me now. http://library.findlaw.com/1998/Aug/1/129009.html. This case concerns a girl whose picture was taken by a photographer and used in a story in a magazine; not as an advertisement. If you want to play the “commercial use” game, it can easily be argued that this blog’s posts are designed to draw readers to a site which advertises and sells merchandise. It’s commercial in the same way that the magazine is. The magazine publishes interesting stories to attract readers, and advertisers pay to advertise in the magazine. The blog posts interesting stories to attract readers, and advertises items for sale. At least in the case of the girl in the magazine, she was photographed unwittingly, this dickhole posed for this photograph, and it belongs to the Top Shot show, or some parent company, not him anyway.

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 03:58 pm

Interesting. Thanks for looking into that Josh!

BJ November 3, 2011 at 01:45 pm

My son really enjoys Top Shot. He is 9 years old. I try to make him some interesting targets to shoot when we are shooting. He enjoys his .22LR and is getting used to a .410 right now. Anyways. He was watching the episode when Jake quite the show and all he could say was “wow, he whines a lot and is a sore loser.”

If my 9 year old can see this….

Dillankid November 3, 2011 at 02:46 pm

The DB In Chief has had a positive effect – your son now knows what NOT to be like when he grows up :-)

BJ November 3, 2011 at 03:07 pm

:) Well, he does want to join the Marines, like his Uncle, and not the Navy.

BJ November 3, 2011 at 03:12 pm

Not taking a shot at any Navy vets or active duty on here. I was just thinking about the DB the topic is about.

Dillankid November 4, 2011 at 07:42 am

Oorah :-)

Josh November 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm

If my 9 year old can see this….

Good for him; children certainly can be amazingly perceptive, can’t they?

Punish3r November 3, 2011 at 01:59 pm

ROFL wow what a douche

ozwald November 3, 2011 at 02:03 pm

i’m not sure, there might be a bigger douche out there. if only someone conducted some type of survey in which individuals could express such opinions and have them weighed by modal tendency. too bad no one will do that…

Heath November 3, 2011 at 03:15 pm

Why is it this Jake guy feels so compelled to tout his “minority” status so often? In my experience it is that type of person who is a racist punk.

mlk18 November 3, 2011 at 03:15 pm

Interesting how the quiet and easy going guy wins Top Shot while the loud mouthed arrogant jack ass walks away pouting. There’s a lesson in there and I am pretty sure it has to do with douchebaggery. Now I have to go contact my legal council to see if I can sue Jake for pain and suffering over his television appearance.

Dayid Alan November 3, 2011 at 04:06 pm

I’d like to get the original full-size image. Outside of fair use, this should definitely get some Streisand effect. I’ll keep a copy up and see how quickly this POS tries to come after me also. This is just hilarious and I think his fat head will explode when/if he can ever comprehend how stupid he is.

Danny November 3, 2011 at 04:20 pm

Request granted – http://imgur.com/M6A6j

It was in my rss cache ;) post a link to your article, I want to see his head explode

Josh November 3, 2011 at 04:32 pm

Thanks for finding that!

Josh November 3, 2011 at 04:32 pm
Heath November 3, 2011 at 04:41 pm

Ha! Chuck Testa! I’ve been to his studio in Ojai several times. The gray fox you see towards the end of his commercial was mine, I gave it to him so he could enter an upcoming taxidermy contest. The guy is a hoot.

Josh November 3, 2011 at 04:43 pm

I’ll never get tired of putting Chuck Testa into people’s pictuers (well, I probably will someday, but not in the foreseeable future). I put him into friends’ Facebook pictures whenever it seems appropriate!

Heath November 3, 2011 at 04:46 pm

When I checked this morning he had over 7 million hits on that commercial. Amazing!

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2011 at 04:54 pm

LOL why have I not heard of that guy until now? I just googled the video, and it’s begging for a post.

Robert November 3, 2011 at 04:46 pm

You caved to that dude? WTF?…. Look, you can do this: Go to Youtube find a moment that’s full of Jakedouchebagerry and post it. Mission accomplished. Let me help with top hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cq4m1LL1Mg

Frank November 3, 2011 at 06:14 pm

ENDO-Mike, let Jake try to sue.
I assure you there would be at least one person ready to write you a check for your defense.

As far as I’m concerned you are entitled to your opinion, and you are also entitled to ask others’ their own, just as you did with your poll. I hope the law feels the same way, and to some extent, I think it does, otherwise how the hell is the Daily Show still on the air?!

I hope you change your mind. Now I just have to find my check-book…

ocelot November 3, 2011 at 06:32 pm

what a Douchebag

Heath November 3, 2011 at 09:01 pm

Your Twitter message to him was priceless. Had he been thinking he should have given you a PO box just so you could waste the money buying it and then shipping it to him.

NBJM November 3, 2011 at 09:18 pm

I think we should refer to him as vagisil, because he is clearly an irritated c*nt.

thebronze November 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Yeah, but you still pussed out and took his pic down. I wouldn’t have.

ExurbanKevin November 3, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I’m not a lawyer, but lots of years behind the lens has given me a decent familiarity with photo usage rights.

if you’re in a public place, you can have your photo taken (this is how paparazzi work). If you a “public figure”, your image can be used for satirical or comedic value (the Jerry Falwell rule).

Jake, having appeared on a national TV show, is a public figure, and therefore fair game (don’t to the crime if you can’t do the time, Jake), and moreover, your use of his photo is *textbook* satirical usage.

He’s just proving the award was well-earned.

Josh November 3, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Not exactly the same though. The issue with Hustler and Falwell involved libel by parody. I don’t know that I’ve seen the exact image, but anyone who’s ever seen Hustler has seen the parodies where they superimpose someone’s face onto someone else and stuff like that. It’s using a photo of them and creating something funny (open to interpretation, especially in the case of Hustler) of it. I wonder though, if the argument couldn’t be made that this is a different issue because the original photograph has been used, unaltered except to add some text to it. I agree he is fair game for being parodied, but I’m inclined to think that may not be enough to trigger the fair use exception by copying an entire photograph in this manner. If you take a copyrighted photo of a celebrity and write “dickface” across it, is that parody? I would say no. And, although I support it, this isn’t a whole lot more than that. Don’t get me wrong, I think the whole thing is funny; I’m just trying to reason this out. However, remove his face from the photo and superimpose it onto a baby in a diaper, – that’s parody. Make a Vagisil ad with his face on it saying, “I use it for my obvious vaginal irritation, you should too!” – that’s parody. Then you’ve used his likeness to create something different, even though he may find it offensive (or libelous in the case of Jerry Falwell), that’s parody. I’d even be inclined to do that, but it’s time for bed… maybe tomorrow.

Josh November 4, 2011 at 03:04 pm
ENDO-Mike November 4, 2011 at 03:11 pm

ahahahaha

Josh November 4, 2011 at 03:12 pm

That’s the “I’ll take a 5 minute break from what I’m doing version.” He doesn’t deserve any more time than that.

Heath November 4, 2011 at 03:14 pm

You’re going to get a 2 hour warning!

Josh November 4, 2011 at 03:18 pm

I’ll counter with a ten minute off-the-ice penalty, and a 15 minute time out in the corner. Somewhere in there will also be a, “in the meantime, go fuck yourself,” spoken like Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder.

Crunkleross November 4, 2011 at 03:54 pm

I’m not a lawyer but have spent time in court. I’m pretty sure truth is a defense against libel and slander, and so since he portrayed himself in such a manner in public you ain’t doin nuttin but tellin it tellin it. It seems to me like when Herman Shitzthebed crashes his 1972 Pinto into the Donut Shop his Pinto and his face shining in the back of the patrol car get printed in the newspaper and shown on tv. Why don’t those evil reporters get sued?

If any of you happen to know a real for sure Seal who might have been in service at the same time….it’s a tight community…..he won’t tell you anything bad about our Top Douche but he will know a whole lot about him…just guessing of course…never been a Seal myself can’t swim or I would’ve been lol…..but was out on a range one time and seen some guys that might have been Seals….not only that but the interweb is full of information if you are persistent. I’m just speculating that he, our Top Douchebag, is not well liked by his contemporaries but because of his litigious nature people just ignore him.

Josh November 4, 2011 at 04:10 pm

…that he… is not well liked by his contemporaries…

Yeah, but that’s just because he’s black. He makes all these claims and whines about facing racism within the Naval Special Warfare community. I propose that what he faced was something that I would call “douchism.” They didn’t dislike him because he was black, they would dislike a white douchebag just the same.

Take, for example, the latest post on this blog. I don’t hate this guy because he’s black; I hate him because he sounds and acts like a fucking retard. If everything were the same but he were white; I’d still hate him (much like that moron who makes dumbass videos of himself discharging firearms inside his mobile home). Douche here needs to quit with the victim mentality, stop blaming it on being black, and just realize people dislike him for his personality and his actions, not his skin color.

Heath November 4, 2011 at 04:15 pm

Very well spoken. He was disliked because he was an idiot. him making it all about race leads me to believe he is the racist.

Jared C November 4, 2011 at 09:33 pm

He mad.

Ryan H November 4, 2011 at 09:35 pm

Favorite. Post. Yet. I lol’ed so hard.

matt November 5, 2011 at 10:35 am

Best part of “Jake” is when he decided to move out of the “Top Shot” house and live in the backyard. EPIC! No sportsmanship at all.

Heath November 8, 2011 at 02:33 pm

That speaks volumes. I didn’t see it, did he pitch a tent or something?

Doug November 8, 2011 at 02:20 pm

Wait, who wants more attention? Seems like you both do to me.

ENDO-Mike November 8, 2011 at 02:40 pm

LOL wtf? I run a blog, of course I want attention, that’s the point.

Doug November 8, 2011 at 02:42 pm

Well he went on a reality TV show so I’m sure he does as well. Just think the title of your post is funny that’s all.

Heath November 8, 2011 at 02:43 pm

Evil capitalist !! Occupy Endo coming to a park near you.

Jake Zweig April 17, 2012 at 01:57 pm

IM STILL WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENDO-Mike April 17, 2012 at 02:48 pm

STILL winning, would imply you were winning at something in the past. Wait… you did win Top Douchebag, my mistake. Keep up the good work Jake! You’re right, you are still winning. ;)

Jf November 8, 2012 at 09:31 pm

Please stop calling jake a douchebag..
He is absolutely not worthy of getting such a prestigeous title… It would be a huge improvement for this ball-less-self-called-vet lol.
He is a coward kid in a grown’s man body.. But wow.. He must be sooooo little in his short to behave like that… I mean.. Ahahaha. Priceless story and lesson! If you run your mouth like a mofo, at LEAST, please, stay ’till the end.. Loll poor guy.. Must suck to be him.
Here are the best words i can think of to stay polite.

rob March 21, 2013 at 04:37 pm

as a semi pro tac/sniper comp from the UK and a avid watcher of this prog id like to say he made a mockery of the prog and his mill service…enogh said

Kay Smith November 19, 2014 at 07:49 pm

Even today, he is acting like a complete Summers Eve on “Dude You’really Screwed”. Love your post!