Hot Shots – New Shooting Show Coming To NBC

in 2012:

This reality driven series follows the lives and times of the biggest names in shooting, including the legendary Jerry Miculek, Xtreme shooter Patrick Flanigan, Guinness world record holder Randy Oitker, and world champion pistol shooters KC Eusebio and Dave Sevigny.

Despite the annoying echos in the commercial, this looks promising.  I’ve seen most of those guys in videos before, and even though they know they are the best, they are VERY humble.  That’s a good quality to have, because you definitely don’t make friends when you constantly tell people you’re better than them.

My guess is that this series will have no need for a “top douchebag” award.

Josh November 12, 2011 at 02:07 am

This might be interesting – at least it looks like it won’t be a bunch of arrogant dicks competing with each other trying to prove they’re something special. I don’t follow competitive shooting at all, so I have no idea who these guys are, but what they showed in those clips is pretty impressive. I’d like to see Top Douchebag compete against any of these guys.

Josh November 12, 2011 at 02:10 am

I don’t know why the hell my link isn’t working. Seems like sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t want to cooperate…

ENDO-Mike November 12, 2011 at 09:24 am

You’re trying to get too fancy with the markup and occasionally mess stuff up. :P This time you had a // in front of the www with no http

Josh November 12, 2011 at 10:09 am

I did? I could have sworn it was right. I thought all I did was copy the link from the Mediafire site and paste it into what I had typed up. I suppose the fact that it was 2 in the morning wasn’t enhancing my attention to detail.

theblackknight November 12, 2011 at 02:17 am

sevigney is a monster.

Jesse November 12, 2011 at 07:48 pm

Watching Sevigney shoot is… humbling. He is an alien robot sent back from the future whose only purpose is to shoot perfect.

ExurbanKevin November 12, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Robot mutant cyborg.

Bobby November 12, 2011 at 04:51 am

NBC?
We’re Winning.

Carry on.

ExurbanKevin November 12, 2011 at 08:57 am

Let’s see how long this lasts. I’m not 100% convinced that this show, 3 Gun Nation and the other hunting shows will continue to be shown on NBC Sports as it transitions away from being “Versus”.

On the other hand, if they make the networks money, they’ll do keep them.

Church November 12, 2011 at 06:18 am

Not too bad… Terrible name though. I want to know what the actual goal of the show is. What are they gonna do?

Josh November 12, 2011 at 09:18 am

I want to know what the actual goal of the show is.

I think you’ve been brainwashed by all of those contest-based reality shows if you think they need to have some goal to achieve. I don’t know if “reality show” is really the best term for them, but I like those shows on History and Discovery where they’re just following people with unique and interesting occupations. There the Swamp People show about alligator hunters in Louisiana, Gold Rush about miners in Alaska, Flying Wild, I think it’s called, about bush pilots in Alaska, there’s a show called Swamp Loggers, I think, about a logging crew, Ice Road Truckers, and so on and so forth. The goal of the show is to entertain; there doesn’t need to be a contest to win or a goal for the subjects of the show to achieve for it to be interesting.

Critter November 12, 2011 at 08:24 am

i guess i should start watching tv, huh?

Frank November 12, 2011 at 07:49 pm

Hot Shots? Why not give them production weapons instead of these tricked out race guns and gear to work with… I’m getting tired of seeing tricked-out this or tricked-out that when it comes to firearms or competitions. Make them all use .45 AUTO, Sig .357, and .44 Mag.

Ernest Young November 12, 2011 at 09:35 pm

I dont think they’re MAKING them do much of anything. Isn’t that the point?

Frank November 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Well it is MSNBC…

Josh November 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Yeah, they should make them use stock weapons off the shelf, like stock car racing where the cars are “stock,” just like you’d get from the dealer… that’s how that works, right?

In all seriousness though, what’s the problem with having a customized gun that’s tricked out to your specs when you’re at that level? When you’re a world-class (insert what you do here) you get stuff customized to you so that you can perform to your absolute best capabilities. If you’re Lance Armstrong, you don’t buy your Tour de France bike off the rack at a bike shop; Trek makes one to your specs. If you’re Eric Clapton, you don’t go into Guitar Center and buy a standard American Strat that’s hanging on the wall; the Fender Custom Shop puts one together tailored to you (of course, Fender has for many years made an Eric Clapton signature edition Stratocaster, but that’s beside the point).

What is accomplished by making them use standard weapons straight off the shelf? Undoubtedly, they won’t be able to perform at their absolute best, but they’re not just going to be average shooters if they give up their custom guns. I’m sure they’ll still be phenomenal shooters, just like Lance Armstrong will still be an amazing cyclist if he were riding a Huffy from Wal-Mart. I’d rather see them using tools that are customized to the individual that allow them to perform at the peak of their abilities.

Frank November 12, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I guess I want to see more adaptability, i.e. Top Shot. ;)

Ernest Young November 12, 2011 at 09:35 pm

Mr.Patrick appears to VERY handy with the shotgun. DAMN.

Pat November 13, 2011 at 02:31 pm

People actually watch NBC for things besides football? Could’ve fooled me!

What-do-I-know November 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Now if only we could get them to show this over the free air waves on Saturday mornings… give the kids something worth watching! Oh yea, by kids I mean me and my son :)

Ernest Young November 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Sorry to be a grammer nazi but, “my son and I”.
I apologize, it’s just something my grandma drilled in me when I was maybe 14 and has REALLY stuck since then.
No offense intended. :)

Josh November 14, 2011 at 01:47 pm

Sorry to be a grammer nazi but…

Don’t flatter yourself. To be a grammar Nazi, you must be knowledgeable about proper grammar. So, to begin with, slap yourself. After that, pay attention and let me show you how grammar Nazism works; you might learn something.

First off, you spelled “grammar” wrong. That in itself would be hilariously ironic given the point of your post, but your main point about using “my son and I” is absolutely wrong also. “My son and I” would only be correct if it were the subject of the sentence. For example, “My son and I went fishing.” The subject of the sentence in question is “I,” the verb is “mean,” and “me and my son” are objects of that verb. That means that you have to use objective forms of pronouns, like – me, him, her, them, us, whom, etc., as opposed to the subjective forms I, he, she, they, we, who, etc. A simple way to figure it out is to leave out the “my son and” part. You wouldn’t say, “I mean I.” Well, maybe YOU would, but you’d sound like an idiot. You would say, “I mean me.”

You’re welcome.

Ernest Young November 14, 2011 at 03:48 pm

Wow, I feel ashamed.

Josh November 14, 2011 at 03:58 pm

I feel ashamed

Then my work here is done! :) If I were you, I’d just blame grandma.