Doomsday Preppers – SHTF

Doomsday Preppers explores the lives of otherwise ordinary Americans who are preparing for the end of the world as we know it. Unique in their beliefs, motivations, and strategies, preppers will go to whatever lengths they can to make sure they are prepared for any of life’s uncertainties. And with our expert’s assessment, they will find out their chances of survival if their worst fears become a reality.

The Doomsday Preppers website – HERE

The show starts Tuesday February 7th on the National Geographic channel.  Looks like it should be entertaining enough. Probably a lot of rational ideas, but occasionally seasoned with redneck and a pinch of derp.

Hat tip: James S., Mark

sticks February 4, 2012 at 12:14 am

I’m going to watch it. The guy with the ar and face paint is stupid though. I have a feeling he only does tacticool training. The people who have a gun for everyone are smart.

MattK February 4, 2012 at 12:50 am

I’m pretty sure the “over the top” guy in the trailer/ad, is only in the promo. He and a couple of the other people in the ad seem to be actors.

There is already one episode online, if your cable system has National Geographic OnDemand.

I think exposure to these ideas will leave us better off as a community, even though they go off the deep end from time to time. Even the zombie “trend” serves as an interesting conduit for discussion and thought about general preparedness. BZ National Geographic.

Hizenburg February 4, 2012 at 12:50 am

Ratings must REALLY be starting drop hard.

Walt February 4, 2012 at 05:18 am

I’ve seen the commercial a handful of times while watching other things on television. Some of it looks interesting and I’ll give it a shot.

I’m not sure if I have National Geographic OnDemand. I’ll have to take a look and see what is available before the show airs.

NotWagner February 4, 2012 at 07:46 am

Interesting. I live in an unlikely hotbed for huge earthquakes. A lot of folks here prep for that and natural disasters because there is a very real possibility that our next “big one” could be on scale with our last, which was estimated to be somewhere between and 8 and 9. We realize our local govt is a mess already and we could be without for months. We’d make Nagin’s Katrina response look locked on and appropriate. I’ve met the “but what if you…” preppers at the gun range a lot. They tend to try to prepare for everything under the sun. Newsflash, you can’t. You can make sure your most basic needs are covered first, before buying tacticool shit for a battle out of One Second After. If you starve to death, nothing else will matter…derp.

Kind of wondering if NG is just gonna focus on Mormons with the occasional yay-hoo tossed in for TRUtv-like sensationalism…

overkill556x45 February 4, 2012 at 08:45 am

There’s something to be said for having some canned food and canned ammo lying around, but you can take it WAY too far. Just don’t be upset when nothing happens and what would have been your Roth IRA is sitting in the pantry in the form of canned beans and spam cans of 7.62x54R.

DaveP. February 4, 2012 at 01:05 pm

OTOH: If my retirement investments go bust, I’ve got nothing. If I stock up on ammo and canned goods and nothing bad happens… I can go shooting a lot and don’t have to go shopping for a while.

Dennis February 4, 2012 at 03:34 pm

That’s what I always tell people Dave. If nothing ever happens, all I’ve done is bought groceries, and supplies to take my grand kids shooting one day.

Moosifer February 4, 2012 at 10:05 am

This show (like most shows now days) is just showing the extreme boundary in an attempt to get ratings. If you want a well thought out and level headed view of how prepping can be a positive impact on your life I suggest you check out http:\\www.thesurvivalpodcast.com. Jack Spirko has been podcasting five days a week for several years and explains how you can “Live the Life You Want, If Times Get Tough, Or Even If They Don’t”. Well worth checking out.

What-do-I-know-anyway February 6, 2012 at 02:52 pm

Have to agree there! Jack does a good job keeping his head on straight. This show is full of the “tin foil hat brigade!”

I’d be surprised to see one well rounded group of people who can do a little bit of everything… nope, that’d be too boring for TV!

what-do-I-know-anyway February 6, 2012 at 02:53 pm

“This show” is in reference to the NG doomsday show…

Cameron February 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

I’ve seen an episode of a similar show, or maybe the same one, on NatGeo or History or something. This one is a LOT more over the top than the one I saw. In the one I saw, one guy had turned his backyard into a self-sufficient house for general SHTF (he had a fish pond full of rapidly spawning fish, a whole lot of plants that they could both eat and turn into fish food, manual generators, a solar panel, etc), one girl was really over the top, stocking up on incredible amounts of dried food and canned food for an event that I can’t remember, but the most interesting one was a pair of families who got together to buy a farm, make it self-sufficient, and plan to escape to the farm in case of any SHTF event.

RobSmalls February 6, 2012 at 11:20 am

I saw that one too – it’s available in 4 parts on YT and was pretty interesting. They profiled 4 different kinds of preppers, and then had some prepping professional rate their setup and offer advice for shortcomings/oversights.

One of the guys in that show who bought into that retreat farm has a YT channel I’m subscribed to (southernprepper1), and is pretty interesting in his perception. He’s very strategic in how he lays out his preps, to a point of what some might call paranoia (but it’s mostly just a demonstration of what you COULD do, not what you SHOULD do). He’s one of those that really lives a prepper’s life.

Critter February 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

heh. my Dad has always liked playing “end of the world” games, in an intellectual sense. when the Y2K bug thing was going strong my mother told him that here was a real end of the world scenario so he could indulge himself. he went to some of those Y2K “gunshows” that were cropping up and quickly found that they were selling only tacticool shite and pemmican. he re-upped his Sam’s Club membership and bought about a ton of dried and canned goods and a huge drum to store water in. he already had plenty of ammo. when Y2K caused as much harm as a mouse fart my folks ate off that bounty for two years while still giving away a sack of groceries to everyone who came by for a visit.

mark February 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Pinch of derp.

Hilarious.

Vhyrus February 4, 2012 at 02:08 pm

My doomsday scenario? Gun and ammo. You can get everything else you need with that.

CuriousG February 6, 2012 at 07:30 am

So you would be a murderous thief? Awesome.

Church February 4, 2012 at 05:59 pm

It could be good, or lame… I’ll watch at least the first episode.

James February 5, 2012 at 02:25 am

it’s nothing more than a carnival sideshow style look at preppers.. from a finger-pointing “better than you” attitude.. i live in Texas, near the coast, there is a reason to prep.. once you go through a situation where you should have done it, but didn’t, you change your tune about it very quickly.. when you see store shelves stripped in a matter of a hour, it does make you pause and think.. better prepared than not..
i just don’t like how NatGeo has become so tabloid and scripted.. this will be formatted, similarly to the other scripted reality shows on Discovery, etc..

JimmyT February 5, 2012 at 01:11 pm

The best thing about stocking up on guns, ammo, gold and food is if nothing goes wrong, you still have guns, ammo, gold and food.

ENDO-Mike February 6, 2012 at 12:40 am

Well said.

estwing February 7, 2012 at 02:34 pm

One of the coolest things I ever saw was a self-sustaining farm and ranch in rural Honduras – they raised and slaughtered pigs, and used the pigshit to power a methane biodigestor that they ran their hot water heater and generators with. They had rainwater catchment from all their roofs, and sedimentary water filters that fed into a cistern… chickens goats and corn, citrus, and green veggies in the garden.

The “S” has already “HTF” in some parts down there. They weren’t “prepping” for anything… that was just how they had found it was best to live. You can’t eat bullets. Well you can but, they’re a little spicy for my palate ;)

Charles February 8, 2012 at 04:21 pm

I missed it but I’m hearing about it. Saw it last season. All I got to say is look do you think the Japanese thought that a Tsunami would hit them like that and notice how they aren’t talking about all of that radiation that’s hitting us now? What about a Katrina? Whether its a natural disaster, financial collapse, oil at $200 a barrel or whatever… it helps to just be prepared. Me I’m into getting insurance for the unknown so why not some preparation for a bad what if? Last year that guy running his truck then driving up to power his house was a cool one on Preppers. He used a Victorygasworks machine back then I wonder what they are going to do this season for on demand local power generation? Maybe a hybrid containerized system with solar/wind/victorygasworks device so like a mobile utility grid?

ASM826 February 10, 2012 at 11:29 pm

If there’s thousands of them, they are not unique.

burnedoutvet April 13, 2012 at 05:06 pm

I’ve watched this series with great interest and to be honest with the exception of a couple of episodes, have been disappointed. As a serious “prepper” I hope there are others out there that are more serious .It’s not just stock piling food and weapons….so much more needs to be dicussed….water…bunker construction[ affordable is key word here].security , I could go on and you out there that know what you’re doing know what I’m say’n.