Testing Body Armor – Redneck Science

Because the real science and data apparently isn’t good enough, this guy does it twice:

Testing with actual people appears to be very common with body armor and ballistic glass.  Those links are two previous examples.  I have posted others, but they usually end up getting deleted because the person gets ridiculed.

Maybe I’m just gullible, but if someone tells me something like “This airbag will deploy when ___________”  or “this drop safety on your Glock will prevent it from being fired when _________” I don’t have the urge to smash my car into a tree or start throwing my Glock around to see for myself.

Anyone into doing these crazy tests on themselves?

Hat tip: James, William, Kevin

Frank February 26, 2012 at 12:30 am

These crazy tests? No, I’m not interested in doing that.
A friend once put on level II body armor and let one of his other friends shoot him with flat nosed arrows from a compound bow. He said it was like getting kicked unexpectedly.

The only crazy thing I’m into doing is watching Jersey Shore.

Poppy February 26, 2012 at 12:59 am

When I was five I stuck my finger in an electrical socket in order to see what would happen.

Does that count?

Lance February 26, 2012 at 01:02 am

I could see a manufacturer doing a test like this just to show that they “stand behind there product”, but why would you ever buy one and then test it on yourself? If you want to test it just hang it on a post and shoot it.

AKMSF February 26, 2012 at 01:27 am

That’s when you know you have way too much free time on your hands…

Andrew February 26, 2012 at 05:58 am

This guy isn’t wearing any ear-pro! The real issue is that he is going to go deaf before his vest fails.

Church February 26, 2012 at 06:39 am

Some people…

battlewagon February 26, 2012 at 08:58 am

I find this kind of pathetic, and I’m not talking about the idiotic body armor stunt.

I grew up in a trailer with no electricity, back then this guys dirty double wide with internet access would have been pretty impressive. Nowadays though I can’t help but question the priorities of a guy who lives in these circumstances and yet wastes this kind of money destroying body armor that he presumably paid good money for.

Yeah, the self inflicted gunshot is dumb, but I’m more insulted that he didn’t spend the money he just wasted on rent on a nicer place or even just fixing up the one he’s got. In one of his other videos he’s got a toddler and pregnant wife but the guy is obviously living in a tacticool dream world, so from one white trash to another, cut this shit out and start saving money for your kids college fund.

jericho February 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

This guy needs to focus on cleaning up his domicile.

crazed February 26, 2012 at 11:17 am

You cant fix stupid! On the off chance something failed or aim was off. Again YOU CANT FIX STUPID!!

Farmer Bob February 27, 2012 at 06:28 pm

Well, I suppose that if something failed or his aim was off, that would kinda fix stupid, in this case at least.

Critter February 26, 2012 at 05:34 pm

that thing they tell you not to try at home? as a kid, i did that.

Vhyrus February 26, 2012 at 06:39 pm

videos are no longer available. Guess he got too much shit for them.

Ed February 26, 2012 at 08:58 pm

When I was a kid I jumped off the couch with an umbrella as a test run. Since it didn’t work I never tried anything higher.

Kevin February 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

Doesn’t doing this create a vulnerability in the armor due to the damage caused by the bullet thereby making the suit destroyed?

hydepark February 27, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Great. I tried to watch this and wadduyaknow “This video is private”

Adam March 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

Ok, leave it to the pros. This guy is an idiot, and probably doesn’t even know if the vest he is wearing is NIJ certified, or what a strike face is for that matter. Here’s a link to a family in the BA industry – that knows what they are doing when it comes to “standing behind their product.” Richard Davis has shot himself over 200 times for that matter, and he actually shoots targets after taking a bullet point blank. This guy is an idiot and could have easily killed himself.

Here’s some footage actually worth looking at: