Dragonfly Bow Hunting

I didn’t know this sport existed before I saw this video:

• Random person hiking through the woods:  “Whatcha shooting at?”
  • Hunter: “Dragonflies”
  • Random person: 0.O “uhhhhhhh…”

That’s pretty much how it would go.  People just don’t get the thrill of the hunt.  Just make sure you don’t take more than your dragonfly license allows… I’ve seen guys get crazy fines for bagging too many.

I have an insatiable hunger for dragonfly meat. *scratches neck furiously*

Hat tip: Krystian B.

AKMSF May 2, 2012 at 01:36 am

You…errr…have fun with that.

DeskJockey May 2, 2012 at 09:41 am

He totally got that one.

NikonMikon May 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm

he was pretty accurate considering all that primitive weaponry, couldn’t help but notice the bamboo arrows, kinda cool

Meat Missile May 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Wanna really impress, me start hunting mosquitos

tha guy May 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I keep expecting Travis Haley to jump out of the water and dump 15 rounds in your chest….

Jordan May 2, 2012 at 03:07 pm

wow… I mean I know that is difficult but all I saw was about 73 misses and 1 hit… just saying.

doyletoo May 2, 2012 at 07:22 pm

I’m a primitive archer, and have to say he looks like he has good form and was shooting
well. It’s really hard with no aiming aids or sights when you’re shooting at small targets.
There are two people in the world who could have done that in one or tow takes. Both
are from AL, and one is dead (Howard Hill) (no relation). He did the trick shots for the
early Robin Hood movies. Byron Ferguson can shoot an aspirin out of the air with a longbow.
He lives in North AL.

Tony May 2, 2012 at 09:41 pm

Cool idea I do the same with a pellet rifle to help improve with off hand shooting. 2 questions- Why was his shirt off? and is he related to Yeager :)

032125 May 2, 2012 at 11:46 pm

The archery was cool, but he shoots himself in the foot with the Matthew Mcconaughey impression. I just can’t sit through five minutes of le posuer.

032125 May 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Creepiest comment on the video:

“im sure they have heaps of protein mmmm yummy XD – dathorus1”

Good Lord.

Church May 3, 2012 at 07:16 am

Whoosh. Oh shit I almost got that one, let me slow it down for you. Wwwwhhhhoooooooosssssshhhhhh. Did you see how close that one was?
This is all I was thinking the whole time.

Doyletoo May 3, 2012 at 11:38 am

The “fly catcher” (mouth perpetually open) look combined with the shirtless look
Definately detract from the vid.

foobar May 9, 2012 at 01:57 pm

Some friends and I shoot grasshoppers with match grade .177 pellet guns (such as http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/IZH_46M_Match_Air_Pistol/78 ) and it’s great fun and a real challenge. Trying to hit a <1cm grasshopper head from 15 feet with a tiny pellet takes some skill. My pistol shooting has definitely improved from doing this. The kills are then collected and fed to the chickens.

ENDO-Mike May 9, 2012 at 01:58 pm

holy that’s an expensive air gun… I guess you get what you pay for though. I’m sure it’s a tack driver.

foobar May 9, 2012 at 03:47 pm

It is a tack driver with the sweetest trigger you’ve ever felt. That’s what my buddy is using, I’ve been using a much cheaper 717 (about $160 http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Avanti_717_Triumph_Match/1241 ). Airguns can get VERY expensive once you start looking at serious guns that aren’t sold in big box stores. The cheap Beeman P17 ( $35 http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614 ) is also very accurate and fun, although takes some strength to load (my son has issues cocking it). It’s a legit chinese clone of the $240 Beeman P3.