Saiga 12 Bullpup Conversion

A Saiga 12 drop in conversion that appears to work well:

I am really a fan of how bullpups look.  Having that action right against my face makes me kind of uneasy, but I suppose having regular rifle actions a few inches away isn’t really much different if some sort of catastrophic failure were to happen.

Anyone shot a Kushnapup before?  How’s the trigger on it?  Any other thoughts?

Jim P. May 25, 2012 at 12:23 am

I’m a left handed shooter and wear glasses. Not a chance in hell I’d do that thing.

I had to shoot the M-16, prone, for training years ago. I left the range with about five 5.56 dimples on my face.

I know, it’s a shotgun, not a rifle, but still…

Ben May 25, 2012 at 01:09 am

Second that. I love looking at Bullpups, but then I remember I’m left-handed and that ain’t happening. Some day I’ll get a FNH 2000 and have the best of both worlds…

Ben May 25, 2012 at 01:13 am

For grins and giggles I looked up their gunbroker listings. Look up Moss Pawn and try not to laugh. $1,239.99 for a bare-bones Double Star AR? Seriously?

USSMunkfish May 25, 2012 at 02:19 am

Haven’t shot it yet, but dry-firing it felt nearly identical to the way was before adding the stock. That is, long and crappy. I sprayed some dry Teflon lube on the trigger linkage to help the feel, but I suspect that most of the improvement to be had will be on the stock Saiga trigger.

Komodo Saurian May 25, 2012 at 04:01 am

>>>I am really a fan of how bullpups look.
But Mike, you said before that all bullpups are ugly :V

ENDO-Mike May 25, 2012 at 01:21 pm

hahahah I don’t remember that, but it’s quite possible that I said that.

Komodo Saurian May 25, 2012 at 06:04 pm

It was in the email exchange a few months back. Maybe you just became more bullpup-tolerant and maybe some of your best friends are bullpups now :D

Chrontius May 26, 2012 at 05:59 pm

Or maybe bull pups are a *good* kind of ugly?

The Saiga’s always ugly. This is a very rocketpunk sort of ugly, which I like. ^_^

ENDO-Mike May 27, 2012 at 09:13 pm

Komodo! Proof I never said bullpups were ugly. See our Jan 2, 2012 email exchange where you sent me info on the TKB-022PM.

My reply:
Yea that’s a neat bullpup, I’ve seen it before. Probably not something I’d post about though.

Checkmate good sir. haha

Komodo Saurian May 28, 2012 at 03:23 am

Okay then, my bad. But here is something else: http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/12/14/bushmaster-acr-bullpup/

“I hate most bullpups that are on the market right now”.

:P

ENDO-Mike May 28, 2012 at 09:56 pm

Holy detective Komodo… I fold, you win. LOL

Jeep May 25, 2012 at 04:39 am

I’m really not into bullpups.
I wonder why so few countries use this configuration for their regular military/LE forces by the way. On the paper it’s supposed to have only advantages (except for price). Weight of lobbies?

And I think they don’t look cool…

However, this shotgun seems to be a stonking piece of kit! Rapid-fire + relatively short + slim, it’d only need to practice a lot to master the accuracy when shooting auto.

Komodo Saurian May 25, 2012 at 04:47 am

Conservatism. Military conservatism. USSR could have had TKB-022 in the early sixties (Look it up), but it was rejected due to:
– Plastic.
– Being bullpup.
– Not being an AK.

Komodo Saurian May 25, 2012 at 04:49 am

In other words it was something new, something different from what they already had.

Jon Hutto May 25, 2012 at 06:12 am

I agree on the bullpup thing. I LOVE the idea, the look, everything. Problem with them is the triggers are usually not great.

doyletoo May 25, 2012 at 07:10 am

Looks to me like the optics/sights arrangement needs improvement.
Putting a red dot so close to the muzzle doesn’t seem like something
that would ensure a very long life for the optic. It wouldn’t have
been that hard to make some crude iron sights would it?

Jeep May 25, 2012 at 10:08 am

Hey Saurian, this seems like a GREAT rifle!

Do you have anywhere schematics of how it cycles? I can’t find it and I’d be interested.

Thanks.

Komodo Saurian May 25, 2012 at 10:58 am

The TKB-022? I doubt that any “official” ones exist online since it’s an obscure rifle. There might be some in the Tula museum, but that’s pretty damn far from here, so paying a visit is out of the question.

Although if speculation is acceptable, here is something you might find interesting:

1. http://goo.gl/m16xN
2. http://goo.gl/9h1My

SqDb May 25, 2012 at 11:12 am

Serious question…how great does the trigger on a shotgun need to be?

Alex S May 25, 2012 at 11:15 am

The stock Saiga triggers are junk. The trigger levers a small “wishbone”, which in turn pushes up on the normal hook and disconnecter, to release the hammer. On top of this junk trigger pull it comes with, a drop in bullpup trigger will make this thing terrible to shoot. (As far as triggers go.)
If you want a bullpup Saiga 12 get one of the regular AK bullpup kits and the extra parts you’ll need to normally convert a Saiga. You’ll end up with something a lot better then this drop in kit if you can make it fit right.

cc19 May 25, 2012 at 05:00 pm

Bullpups certainly look video games, plus there’s the added benefit of the short length without needing to wait six months for a background check on top of the govt. extortion fee.

I still don’t own any rifles in the configuration mainly because I love a crisp trigger more. My first bullpup will be a KSG I’ve got on order (whenever the heck that’s going to arrive).

hydepark May 25, 2012 at 05:42 pm

Besides the obvious, the real problem with most bullpup designs seems to be with the sighting system. This thing has like zero in the way of iron sights looks like and usually scopes and red dots mount a little low to get a natural aim going. And yes, iron sights on anything are an absolute must (screw the REM 700 for this reason alone).

Dom P. May 26, 2012 at 01:01 am

Blue shells= LEO Slugs

WLP June 12, 2012 at 01:28 pm

@Alex

The regular bull pup kits are way off on fitting an S-12. I gave it a very cursory look-over holding an bullpup kit fore-end up next to my S12 minus hand-guard and it looked theoretically adaptable with serious material removal via dremel and table saw, but then the trigger ‘wing’ probably couldn’t move with so much barrel in the way. Still, I’d far prefer an S12-specific kit based on the standard (ugly-ass) AK bullpup kit over a shell-based system that requires total disassembly for cleaning.

Mike Brosch March 10, 2016 at 07:23 am

I ended up with one of these for pennies. Now the price is way over the top. Yea Me! Yea Obama? Well… Yea Me!