Only Sad About Some Of The Casualties

The Onion reports from Afghanistan:

I like when military/gun stuff shows up on The Onion.

I always find it amazing how many people think stories on The Onion are real.  I suppose some of them are believable if they are seen out of context.

Hat tip: Rich

CHAOS June 7, 2012 at 12:14 am

The autistic reporter could replace every reporter on tv right now and the world would be a better place.

Vhyrus June 7, 2012 at 12:19 am

I am going to find out if that is really arabic they are speaking in this video. I want to know how serious they are about this shit.

WillAndWind June 7, 2012 at 05:57 pm

Vhyrus,

The Taliban are Afghans and don’t necessarily speak any Arabic. One of the main languages would be Pashtu. Arabic would probably be spoken by outsiders who would be there to fight.

Just sayin’.

Josh June 7, 2012 at 06:59 pm

They speak Pashtu and Farsi in that part of the world. When I was in Afghanistan in the early part of OEF one of the big tip offs that something fishy was going on was when the SF guys who spoke it or the interpreters who recognized it heard “local villagers” speaking Arabic to one another.

I don’t know if they’re speaking Hindi, but I’m sure it’s not hard to find an Indian person here who can speak it. I work with a guy who’s originally from India and he said that Hindi is very closely related to Pashtu and Farsi, and if you can speak one, you can probably communicate roughly with someone who speaks one of the others. I figured it must be similar to the romance languages in how they’re kind of similar.

Al T. June 7, 2012 at 07:44 am

That was pretty good. Reminded me of some of the press briefings and the resulting silly questions when I was in service.

Alien426 June 7, 2012 at 08:42 am

@Chaos: Here’s more:
@Vhyrus: I think someone in the comments said that they spoke Hindi. Can’t find it now.

El Duderino June 7, 2012 at 01:42 pm

Awesome. Son of Rain Man makes a good reporter too. “Are you going to kill Ryan?” I mean, the logic is pretty strong…

Church June 7, 2012 at 05:51 pm

I did not get a laugh from this… Kinda lame.

Ted N June 8, 2012 at 08:10 pm

Much better snark over at http://www.duffelblog.com/

Matt G. June 9, 2012 at 07:47 pm

Check out the duffle blog for onion style military stuff