Marine Convicted Of Smuggling AK-47 From Saddam’s Palace

Federal prosecutors said former Staff Sgt. Joel Cleve Miller, 40, was found guilty of possession of an illegal chrome AK-47 that he smuggled back from Iraq during a 14-month tour in 2005.  When he returned to his home in Hemet, he bragged to several friends that he smuggled the gun back after it once belonged to Saddam Hussein’s Royal Guard.

Full Story – HERE

As they say “Loose lips lose priceless AK’s and could end up doing 10 years in federal prison”.  Dumbass…

Is the issue more that it’s an NFA weapon? Or that he smuggled it back?  Or both?  I’m just wondering which is considered more serious.  Like if I was there and smuggled Saddam’s gold toilet seat back would I be in just as much trouble?

James C. July 7, 2012 at 12:30 am

It’s California – ’nuff said.

scurvy July 7, 2012 at 02:31 am

James, the Feds don’t care what state you’re in. It’s Federal law that they’re enforcing, not local nor state.

Wolf July 7, 2012 at 02:16 pm

If he had only been smuggling in illegal aliens the Fed’s wouldn’t have cared one bit.

James C. July 7, 2012 at 11:47 pm

True, but the idiots in Sacramento will pile on too – THIS THING HAS A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE!1!!

Jim P. July 7, 2012 at 01:30 am

That tells me — be careful of who your friends are.

BrowningBottoms July 7, 2012 at 01:58 am

Is he active duty mil? Did he have a MAWP? Hmm…

USSMunkfish July 7, 2012 at 02:49 am

Chrome AKs are illegal, duh!

Varg V July 7, 2012 at 03:18 am

It’s an unregistered nontransferable machine gun (I assume it’s full auto) that was illegally smuggled into the country. The guy that owns it is in before a major ATF ass-raping.

klyph July 7, 2012 at 03:28 am

He didn’t pay his taxes, and they wouldn’t have taken them if he tried.

Seth July 7, 2012 at 05:56 am

Cool toy, I would of taken the grips and recreated my war trophy in the states with a chromed AK pistol. Technically if I remember right all war trophies require signed permission from your unit commander but I don’t think some AK stocks would get people to bent out of shape but bringing home any type of firearm has been banned for a while.

Aaron July 7, 2012 at 07:25 am

As tempted as I would have been, I would have settled for posing for pictures holding it and other captured items.
“Take only pictures, leave only firearms…”

PJ July 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

What I was gonna say exactly. They’ve got him on multiple charges for that little stunt. As neat as it would be to have you can’t show it off if you take it, which takes away the fun. Same thing with who ever stole the M1903 and M1911 Alvin York used. Two priceless pieces that whoever has can’t prove and can’t get rid of.

Curtis July 7, 2012 at 09:54 am

It could look nicer. It looks like it has been bumper chromed.

DaveP. July 7, 2012 at 01:33 pm

We ain’t talking a class act, here. This is Saddam.

Curtis July 8, 2012 at 06:56 pm

: )

Dan The Viking July 7, 2012 at 02:21 pm

So, why is this such a big deal? It’s not like it’s a moral travesty. He didn’t hurt anybody doing this, and now he’s being fucked by the fed. Am I the only person who’s upset about that?

Dillankid July 7, 2012 at 04:39 pm

This. He brought home a war trophy and hurt no one. In WW2 it was expected…I have a Jap Type 99 that was a trophy from Iwo Jima, no one went to jail for that.

ENDO-Mike July 7, 2012 at 06:03 pm

Simpler times… now even terrorists have rights *smh*

Dilhack July 9, 2012 at 04:29 pm

Yup.

Josephdennis July 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I agree. This is quite upsetting that our country treats veterans like this.

matt RRC July 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm

It was ok to die for your country in WW2 and bring back trophies. Now it is just ok to die for your country. This guy is getting screwed in the worst possible way.

Church July 7, 2012 at 02:58 pm

Oh he’s fucked for sure. But I wonder who ratted him out? That guy might not be able to piss straight once word gets out.

Ed July 7, 2012 at 04:28 pm

It’s his own fault.

It’s always a good idea to try not to break the law, but when and if you do, don’t say a goddamn thing about it. Bottom line, he’s stupid and that’s why he’s in trouble now.

Jim P. July 7, 2012 at 04:32 pm

doyletoo July 8, 2012 at 06:21 am

I was stationed at Fort Hood during Desert Storm and after people started to return a story like this would pop up occassionally whenever some guy really pissed off his wife she would turn him in over the AK buried in the yard. One really inventive group in a maintenance section welded false beds into to trucks and concealed contraband in it to ship home.

Walter Zoomie July 8, 2012 at 07:31 am

During Desert Storm, a guy in my platoon found a Russian/Iraqi 9mm handgun, hollowed out a field telephone, and stashed the gun in there. When the comm gear arrived back to the unit in the states, he retrieved the gun…or so I am told.

Also heard folks in heavy equipment units would disassemble AKs they found and stash the parts inside the hydraulic rams of dozers and other earth moving gear. Stuff was later retrieved after arriving back in the states….well-protected and preserved in the hydraulic oil.

Jeff July 8, 2012 at 01:49 pm

How do soldiers smuggle aks? I would imagine bags are searched

Jim P. July 8, 2012 at 02:17 pm

Typically, a a quick visual scan is done by the U.S. Troops (usually USN) at the pier. If nothing is out of order, the vehicle, (or other item) loaded and goes stateside without question.

I knew a USN reservist that helped run the customs after DSII. He sent more than one blown HUMVEE back for processing after he noticed bone fragments in the floor board.

I also know of cases in Korea that we had 20 leftover 20 man tents because the G.I.’s after operation Team Spirit. Those tent bags went home with mink blankets and brass.

Even when I left Korea, they did a 10% search (i.e. Whats in your duffel bag?).

What you have to understand is that 98.9% of all customs laws are a joke. The military knows this and does not ask.

Jeep July 9, 2012 at 07:14 am

I guess the guy is in trouble for breaking the good taste law.

Chrome AKs… *disgusted burp*

Alaskan July 12, 2012 at 12:47 am

Simple..this guy wasn’t one of Eric Holder’s thugs… ;)

If the guy had said that he was from the ATF and not military..they might have let him keep it.

Brent Favre December 14, 2015 at 08:24 pm

Absolutely retarded. No, at least retarded is useful. The government that is, more specifically the BATF. This type of shit pisses me off. Stupid fucking bullshit. *send*