Gun Brandished During Live Political Jordanian TV debate

Shit got real in Jordan:

hahah can you imagine if that happened in the US?  I wonder if there will be any consequences there?

I’m just glad no one hugged a police officer, because that clip could have ended a lot worse.

Hat tip: Willy B.

Willy B. July 10, 2012 at 01:48 am

What gets me is that the unarmed guy keeps arguing and going for the fight :p
I especially like the way the moderator still tries to keep them from fighting instead of making a run for it after the gun comes out. :D
That would not have been me. I’d be gone, the faint smell of fear hanging in the path I made for the door :p

BrowningBottoms July 10, 2012 at 01:54 am

Probably staged. Intelligent people don’t bring fists to a gunfight.

bima July 10, 2012 at 01:48 am

I was just in Jordan in 2010, for a vacation to see petra and stuff..
I was walking around the capital city of Amman, found a few gun stores.
I walked in and looked around, and asked the price of a few pistols/shotguns.

He said, “if you buy now I give you a good discount.”
Then I said, “I can just pay in cash and walk out with a shotgun right now?”
he replied “yes.. you have money now, you can have gun now”

I was like, dafuq? anyone can get a firearm that easily? (well I hope he was just joking)

Bob Barker July 10, 2012 at 06:47 am

Indiana is about the same. As far as the state is concerned it’s cash and carry, long arms and hand guns both. If it weren’t for the Federal check there’d be no paperwork at all.

Dilhack July 11, 2012 at 01:21 am

Does that matter? Ohio you get a background check and then get the gun – takes a 2 minute phone call. If it were any more than that I would feel like my rights were being violated. I’m fine with a bg check though if it keeps the guns in the right hand.

BrowningBottoms July 10, 2012 at 01:53 am

What did he throw? Looked like a shoe.

Jeff July 10, 2012 at 06:07 am

Yeah, outside of the US, a lot of the world’s politicians get into debates, and end up throwing shoes…. Jordan, Australia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, you name it, there’s actually a wiki page on it =P

Tekno July 10, 2012 at 05:54 pm

Bob – I believe that was a Deagle tactical shoe, not just a run of the mill cheap, sweaty, used dress shoe and everyone knows a tactical show is only brandished when someone is going to start some serious shit

Jeep July 10, 2012 at 02:16 am

Yeah, it was his own shoe he threw at the other guy. You know in many Eastern countries, in addition to the hope of hurting someone, throwing a shoe at him is like a very serious insult. You Americans should know that :-), G.W. “43” Bush almost got hit by one once…

Sailor 465 July 10, 2012 at 09:35 am

I believe, if you recall, that Bush dodged that shoe… both of them. haha So I guess you could say that his insult wasn’t grounded.

BrowningBottoms July 10, 2012 at 11:12 am

Bush still had some moves didn’t he? The idiot that tried to throw a shoe at Bush was praised by Moose Limbs the world over.

Jeep July 13, 2012 at 07:16 am

He dodged the shoe indeed! That’s why I said “almost”. It seems that, on average, very few shoes reach their target… Those guys are really bad at throwing projectiles…

hydepark July 10, 2012 at 10:45 am

Sounds like the guy will be charged with attempted murder, but I am not familiar with the corruption level in the Jordanian judicial system. If it’s anything like the level of corruption in ours, he’ll either walk away with a steep fine or never see the light of day again.

Good find, Mike.

fxhummel1 July 10, 2012 at 03:57 pm

wonder why the sound cuts out as soon as ‘shit gets real?’

Dilhack July 11, 2012 at 01:24 am

I dunno…I wish it were in English. Otherwise, I just like to think that the unarmed guy was talking about Ahmadinejad being bi-curious or something.

NikonMikon July 13, 2012 at 05:51 am

probably obscenities? or perhaps the producers were like ‘oh fuck someone is about to get shot on live tv, cut audio but keep video’ as a way of making it less gruesome? sounds kinda inverted I know but… people panic in situations like that.

Nathan July 11, 2012 at 12:44 am

According to GunPolicy Center, Jordanian law requires both registration of all firearms and “unique” identifying marks on each gun. I have no idea what that means, but it certainly didn’t stop this dude. The impression I get is that there must be a sizable black market for guns in Jordan, but, aside from shoes, I can’t seem to find any reliable data on Jordanian civilian armament. Anybody identify what kind of gun it was? Pocketlite revolver, maybe?

M July 11, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Pakistani special maybe?

Frank July 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

First line of defense: the shoe!

James D July 11, 2012 at 02:02 pm

Damn. The ‘huge’ sentence got me! Had to comment to just to give you props for your posts. Stay golden.

James D July 11, 2012 at 02:02 pm

*HUG, god I can’t type.

Church July 11, 2012 at 07:51 pm

Oh shit is the only thing that comes to mind…