TrackingPoint – Precision Guided Firearm

Taking the fun and difficulty out of shooting.  WANT!:

I’d like to own that setup just for the pure novelty of it, even though I probably wouldn’t use it all that much.  I have so many questions about this… Does it work on moving targets?  Is wind somehow accounted for? How big is the entire system? Can it be programmed to say “HEAAAAAAD shot!” when the bullet impacts the target?

Not much info on this system out there yet, but here’s what we know:

• 50x zoom digital tracking optic and smart trigger
  • Integrated with .300 Winchester Magnum XM2010
  • Using 220 gr. Mk248 Mod 1 Ammunition
  • Streaming video from heads up display

This video leaked, so it might disappear soon if they didn’t want the world to see it.  You can sign up for updates at the TrackingPoint website though and they will likely let you know when they come out with something they want you to see.

Hat tip: TC

Gviken October 11, 2012 at 12:16 am

Pretty innovative. It caught my interest which is more than I can say for most of the stuff coming out lately. This might be a hit with the generation that grew up playing video games.

AKFTW October 11, 2012 at 12:19 am

Seems similar to guidance systems used in guided anti-tank missiles. I can see a potential use for this on something like an anti-material rifle if it works on moving targets at VERY long ranges. Still not sure entirely how this system works, and it’s probably very electronically complex. Still interesting.

Andy Wolf October 28, 2012 at 06:10 pm

I was so thinking… TOW?

Julio October 11, 2012 at 01:54 am

As far as I can see, all it does is let the shooter designate “tag” the target then automatically illuminate the reticle when it is -roughly- over the “tag”. Big deal. With the gear we have now we can all see the target, and the reticle, and regularly overlay one on the other before pressing the trigger and hitting the target. I think it’s generally known as “shooting”. Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see what this adds, except a bit of eye candy.

bob October 11, 2012 at 10:07 pm

You’re missing something. It appears to release the striker if you have the trigger pulled and align perfectly with the tag again.

Al T. October 11, 2012 at 06:06 am

Wind is going to be a huge issue as it always is. 300m shots with a decent rifle is no big deal, it’s when you get out a ways that this may help. Key point, if I heard him right, is that once you designate the target, the rifle fires itself when the crosshairs go back to the tag. If the trigger is taken out of the equation, that may be a good thing.

s300pmu1 January 18, 2013 at 09:55 am

It is rumored to have a ballistic calculator built in, which accounts for wind speed, temperature, even barrel wear.

wikidelphia October 11, 2012 at 07:07 am

aimbot?

Eric October 11, 2012 at 07:38 am

Nice. +1

G October 11, 2012 at 07:42 am

They are based here in Austin, I will be shooting the system in the next week. The big unveil is supposed to be at Shot, not sure how this video leaked. The people at TP are all former MEUSOC and other various former SF. This system makes it possible for a 12 yo to hit a plate at 1000. Seen it done. The system actually controls the firing of the weapon, you pull the triggee and when your crosshairs are exactly over your tag, bang. Very very cool. And yes, it does take all the “sport” out of shooting, this is for long range sniping.

Saxon October 12, 2012 at 04:55 pm

Wait, they brought a 12 year old on range to shoot an aerial target? Was this Bring Your Kid to Work Day?

Wolf October 11, 2012 at 08:09 am

Not sure how to feel about this.

Jim P. October 11, 2012 at 08:18 am

From what I can tell the system is just putting some more precision into long range sniping. If you can see it, you can kill it.

AKFTW October 11, 2012 at 09:20 am

Well, as long as it bleeds, too.

Martin October 11, 2012 at 09:42 am

I’m in for one if its under $10k. Great way to show off to customers “This gun is so amazing it LITERALLY shoots itself!”

MrMaigo October 11, 2012 at 09:43 am

About time.

cmblake6 October 11, 2012 at 10:35 am

Quite the interesting device. I would really like to play with one of those, but it has a lot of potential use!

Weer'd Beard October 11, 2012 at 04:55 pm

Its the Zorg Enterprises patented Replay System!!!!!

M October 15, 2012 at 01:33 pm

Now a real killer, when he picked up the ZF-1, would’ve immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun.

Church October 11, 2012 at 05:11 pm

I wonder how long this technology has actually been out…

HSR47 October 12, 2012 at 07:47 am

Another commenter likened it to the targeting systems we have on our tanks.

Thus, we’ve probably had the technology for quite a while, but we’ve only recently been able to manufacture it into a small enough package to be useful for this application.

Invader October 11, 2012 at 05:28 pm

Somebody finally took an FPS aimbot and turned it into a real product!

T9 October 11, 2012 at 10:05 pm

My question is. What if the target is moving? Will the tag stick?

MrMaigo October 12, 2012 at 09:01 am

On a human, maybe, maybe not. On a vehicle moving in a straight line, sure. Bet that’s why it has the 50x zoom; get in tight enough and the moving background wouldn’t be an issue.

EntropyWorks October 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Now if they could produce a video that didn’t have exploding targets.

dan October 12, 2012 at 07:48 am

Its nice to see they took the aiming system out of an Abrams tank and finally put it in a rifle form factor.

Carl October 12, 2012 at 10:50 am

i have been on the range in austin when they test this, they stand behind the scope with ipads and stream video from the scope to the ipad, lots of interesting applications

Saxon October 12, 2012 at 04:48 pm

I could see this being very useful for military, police, and civilians (just to balance power, and for lazy tech savvy hunters) but it would certainly suck being under fire from a robo-sniper.

tobias October 13, 2012 at 09:17 pm

I think it’s “BOOM! Headshot!”.

Ninjavitis October 14, 2012 at 01:01 am

Or you could…you know…learn to shoot. Adopting technology like this will prompt the military to put it in the hands of less trained or skilled shooters. Putting them in the field will endanger both the shooter and the mission when the tech inevitably fails. There’s nothing there that a trained sharpshooter can’t do. Some jobs shouldn’t be made easier.

Nyanman October 16, 2012 at 12:07 am

Thank you, now I have yet another gimmick to add to the want list for when I get around to building the stupidly over the top rifle I want to build. Because I can.

tc December 5, 2012 at 03:42 am

what about wind and heat inluance