The Importance Of Blind Quick Handgun Re-Holstering

Wait, what?! I guess I didn’t get the memo. Watch this vid:

Yea you see those operators “training” to jam the handgun back into the holster robotically while keeping their eyes on the threat.  This raises a number of questions in my mind… primarily, if there is still a “threat” why are you putting your gun away?  Doing it quickly, and blindly, only makes this video and training all that much more ridiculous in my mind.  Why not spin it on your finger, and toss it up in the air too while you’re at it?  You’d have to of course practice that thousands of times though, then it would be perfectly safe according to them.  What’s the hurry to get the gun out of sight?  It’s not like they are all wearing tactical speedos either, so the chance of a piece of fabric ending up in the trigger guard sooner or later is pretty good.

Someone please save the video and upload it to youtube before it disappears?  The derp needs to be saved for posterity… think of the children.

HammerFour-Blind-Re-HolsterThe icing on the cake are the comments on facebook, where the training company HammerFour fully defends that this practice is perfectly safe and necessary.  Frankly I don’t need any more holes in my body to take care of, and a permanent pimp limp just doesn’t fit my character.

Hat tip: Caleb

ute March 8, 2013 at 03:42 am

I like this comment from one of the trainers friend “So here is my crude former self…in younger days, crazier days when I could back it up….SHUT THE FUCK UP…If you don’t have something constructive to say keep your pie holes shut….I would kill for that man and I would die for that man…my wife doesn’t even understand that…..”

Ninjavitis March 8, 2013 at 04:00 am

I can’t imagine carrying an in the pants holster up front like that. What they are showing is the reason I don’t wear things like sweatshirts when I carry. All of my jackets zip in the front. Unzipping my jacket is the first step of drawing for me and I do it at the first indication of trouble, not just before I draw. One of the first lessons I learned when I started CC was “dress to conceal”.

theblackknight March 8, 2013 at 10:16 am

AIWB isnt some “crazy” way of carry. Welcome to 2013

gilk10180 March 8, 2013 at 10:55 am
Ninjavitis March 11, 2013 at 01:22 pm

I wasn’t saying it was crazy, it just seems uncomfortable to me. I’d have trouble sitting down.

thebronze March 8, 2013 at 04:08 am

SMFH…

It hurts March 8, 2013 at 06:14 am

Yeah, looks like they made it private. Best part of the comments was where they were fighting with BJ Norris without knowing who BJ is.

overkill556x45 March 8, 2013 at 06:15 am

Video removed!

What’s the hurry to re-holster? I carry AIWB and I holster my SP101 like I’m handling a portable nuclear device. No reason to get in a hurry with the muzzle in a compromising position.

Regulus March 8, 2013 at 06:40 am

hahahahha wow i read alot of the comments the other day and he was all defending himself. now everything is hidden. what a pussy! what a loser!

the chick is kinda hot though. i forgive her. i read her bio. she all in to that bruce lee dancing bullshit. so she must think shes mall ninja statues now.

thebronze March 8, 2013 at 07:41 pm

I think she’s hot as shit. Saw other pics of her.

Critter March 8, 2013 at 06:51 am

once the gunfight is over there should be no hurry to re-holster. no sense in stopping a threat and then shooting one’s self in the ding-ding.

mike March 8, 2013 at 07:03 am

Is this that couple that has videos? I remember one previous video he couldn’t holster his gun and I made fun of him and he got all bent… looks like I got to him.

dave w March 8, 2013 at 07:06 am

Why are these pussies using a holster? If you dont have at least one gun in each hand, safety off, finger on the trigger, you are not ready!

Keith March 8, 2013 at 08:07 am

Did anyone save it I missed it

Gregg March 8, 2013 at 08:15 am

The comment they deleted:

I love that the comments you’re deleting are coming from guys like BJ Norris and Caleb Giddings – proven professionals in the world of training and sport shooting.

When you start blowing off the criticism of IDPA 5 gun masters (fewer than 40 of them out of 20,000 IDPA members) and past Steel Challenge winners then it’s time to take a serious look at what you’re teaching and if it has value beyond lining your own pockets with cash from wannbe gaming operators.

Heath March 8, 2013 at 11:34 am

I missed seeing the video before it was pulled.

SittingDown March 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm

The Art of Tactical Reholstering Dynamics Strategic Response. LOL

lucusloc March 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I agree with overkill, I treat reholstering like a ceremonial event. The gun and the holster get *all* the attention. I figure if I do not have all the attention to give to them for a few seconds, then I probably still need the gun out.

Wolf March 8, 2013 at 01:20 pm

Reholstering? I have a clip-draw. It’s called getting my boog-hook off the trigger and shoving my Glock 26 down my wranglers.

Matthew james March 8, 2013 at 01:24 pm

Dude… Sad i missed this. Link anyone? Anyone have a private upload of it? I can put it on youtube with one of my many ramdom accounts….

weeerd March 8, 2013 at 02:36 pm

If you’re part of a team it’s useful to not look when you re-holster if you have to be flex-cuffing someone. That said, thigh holsters are better and safer.

Nakedgun March 8, 2013 at 03:16 pm

Pulled before I could see it…
Don’t know what their rationale is, but I was taught to find my holster without taking my eyes off whatever is downrange. Obviously, you’re not gonna holster in front of a threat but there will be a time when you need to take other action WITHOUT your handgun (like rendering aid to victims and even suspects).

thebronze March 8, 2013 at 07:47 pm

Here’s another one, showing their awesome tactics.

overkill556x45 March 9, 2013 at 05:20 am

That vid was legit. Car doors as cover, followed by the old “pin your partner to the engine compartment” maneuver. Also, that guy got his ass kicked by that shotgun. Well done!

SittingDown March 9, 2013 at 07:07 am

LOL Liked. All they are liking is the skull masks.

SittingDown March 9, 2013 at 07:08 am

*liking = lacking (stupid phone)

Ninjavitis March 8, 2013 at 08:00 pm

I have to admit, that first mag drop from her pistol right in the beginning was pretty sharp. Love or hate the techniques they’re training, you have to admit, they do them enough to be consistant. Good muscle memory if nothing else.

Ghostalker March 8, 2013 at 11:27 pm

And while this may be true, now it will take even longer to unlearn this muscle memory. My grandfather used to say ‘practice doesn’t make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect’.(a Vince Lombardi quote) basically trying to get the point that doing something incorrectly will teach you to do it incorrectly. It helps to have someone guide you to do something right, so you continue doing it correctly.
Doing… this? Might as well be practicing smashing your head against a wall.

Bender226 March 8, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I don’t really understand the whole robotic movement thing. I guess they think it looks cool and maybe it impresses some people but I’ve seen it so many times that it’s basically just pointless cliche’ mall ninja behavior anymore. Oh well I’ll admit I am jealous of the mall ninjas since I can’t even afford to shoot right now nor have the time to. As a result even with their pointless extra motions and showing off they are probably ten times a better shot than me right now.

aviator mike March 9, 2013 at 02:04 am

Agreed, I don’t get it.

And why the ninja hands before your draw? When I’m chillin in line at the local jamba juice, I don’t stand with my mr. miyagi stance anticipating an attack, so why practice that way? If you’re trying practice quick draws, why not practice in more realistic setting, I.E. start scratchin your balls and then you’ve gotta draw. Seems more effective, at least in my case.

librarian45 March 9, 2013 at 06:50 am

update from his mom’s basement couch:
-We’re not wrong, it’s a style thing.

SittingDown March 9, 2013 at 07:10 am

LOL. Next he’ll make death threats, lose his CWL and then he’ll shave his head and grow a ZZ top-style goatee dyed bright orange.

Miguel March 9, 2013 at 06:24 pm

anyone have a link to the original video? its gone apparently.

Ben Branam March 9, 2013 at 10:39 pm

This practice comes directly from law enforcement. About 15 years ago cops were taught to draw their gun at the drop of a hat, or just to have the gun out and pointed at the suspect all the time. When the suspect did something that didn’t warrant getting shot, cops had to be able to put their guns away quick like a bunny without looking so they didn’t get hurt by the suspect.

Dirt bags learned it quickly and would actually walk or run at cops even with the guns pointed at them. The dirt bags knew that the cops couldn’t shoot them and the time would be used to escape or get a free shot on the cop.

Seems like this is a time civilian training is following police training, only a decade late.

HMPlatinum March 11, 2013 at 05:09 pm

Wow. Poof. It’s all gone…

Squirrel-tactical March 11, 2013 at 09:31 pm

Missed the video, but I can think of two reasons:

Keeping eyes down range in case a threat presents after you think it’s safe and decide to re-holster.

or

Keeping eyes down range because as soon as you holster you are going to get your long gun back up. (Malfunction or running dry being why you transitioned).