DEFCAD Tries Seduction By Trailer To Solicit Donations

Posted because it’s oh so dramatic:

DEFCAD seriously needs a new spokesperson… preferably one that blinks, and doesn’t think he’s 3D printing Jesus.  I really do like the cause though, I just am looking forward to 3D printers that can print strong enough and in high enough resolution, to come down in price.  As I mentioned before, I don’t think the “I’m Riiiiiiich Biiiiiiitch!” printer they use for the prototypes is representative of the printers that most people can afford.

LOL looks like 3D Printing Jesus didn’t like this post much:

Defense-Distributed-AR15-LowerThoughts?

LiquidFlorian March 13, 2013 at 02:52 am

Well, I suppose you could’ve asked them about the lowers and FDM printing… I don’t think they know this blogs reputation for hijinks and tom-foolery, so they might be a little hyper critical.

junyo March 13, 2013 at 05:46 am

Or it could be that ENDO basically stays up their ass, for no apparent reason. Their target device is a Reprap printer, that can be had for a grand if you try hard enough. They’re not apparently trying to get rich off this deal. And they’re literally putting it on the line, getting visits from the Federales, to secure the RKBA. Which is more than most people whining about Feinstein on the Internet are doing. All without threatening to kill anyone that calls them a coward or rolling their shoulders. And they get nothing but hate.

junyo March 13, 2013 at 05:49 am

On second thought, maybe they are trying to get rich off the deal. But still.

ENDO-Mike March 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Oh yea I guarantee they haven’t been here before. Regardless, quite a childish butthurt reply haha.

Busdriver March 13, 2013 at 07:14 am

Consumer level 3d printers won’t actually be able to print guns for a very long time. Making lowers and magazines is cute and all, but people have been making lowers out of blocks of wood and cutting boards for years and it is still easier, cheaper, faster, and more effective to stamp and spotweld magazines out of sheet metal. No one who is serious about making the best rifle they can will print one out of plastic when 80% lowers are unregulated and can be completed with a vice and a harbor freight drill press.

James Henninger March 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

I dont think most people know that this site is for Call of Duty fans, oh well. I checked out the video, I think its pretty cool, but is this old or new tech?

James Henninger March 13, 2013 at 10:42 am

@ENDO – are you going to do a review for Call of Duty for Sony PS4?

StarvinPilgrim March 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

All I saw was a Justin Timberlake impersonator.

PhoenixNFA March 13, 2013 at 12:26 pm

lots of buttmad in here.

lets face it, honestly….AR-15s are not going anywhere. in some form or fashion they arent.

anyone gonna make an ar-15 barrel out of plastic? anyone? no? then this is just a fun toy….

ENDO-Mike March 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I actually believe plastic barrels will be possible someday. Regardless, you already can 3D print steel, it’s just quite expensive!

Dallas March 13, 2013 at 01:00 pm

Meh. Let me know when they get around to 3D printing a Robot Girlfriend…

OpenSourceArmorer March 13, 2013 at 02:49 pm

At this point he kind of *is* 3D priting Jesus.

I sense the rant is out of jealousy for not being nearly as consequential in the world of gun and gun rights as Cody is.

Busdriver March 13, 2013 at 04:15 pm

lel

sealteamTNP March 13, 2013 at 03:14 pm

Well. If anything this will potentially help the bieber generation arm themselves after were all dead and gone.

Side note, for those who werent born in the “plastic” age, a basic mill lathe combo, that will get you by for most anything youll gunsmithing need can be found for less than 1k and a little bit of elbow grease, and you can build the real deal.

Now go buy some krink kits and geeet to work.

M March 15, 2013 at 07:45 pm

I have to agree with you, a second hand milling machine and a few hundred bucks in tools and jigs can make a really nice lower. Here’s an AR-15 build from a cast receiver: http://firearmsdesigner.com/?p=488

There was also some really cool work done by cncguns.com several years ago. He has made available the 3d models and programs for someone with a CNC milling machine to just press a button and cut a fully functional ar-15 lower out of a chunk of aluminum.

While I appreciate the work that DEFCAD is doing, it seems like he’s doing more to be inflammatory and get attention than anything else. The “why ban it when i can make it myself” line of reasoning is hollow, if its going to be illegal to buy its going to be illegal to make, just like machine guns are now. My fear is that his attention mongering is getting the attention of the wrong crowd and they will soon attempt to ban self-made firearms.

Chrontius March 13, 2013 at 05:28 pm

Protip: among the crowd Defcad usually runs in, “hack” is a verb. I suspect he’s saying “try building something”, rather than (just) slinging a low-budget insult.

ENDO-Mike March 13, 2013 at 05:31 pm

haha good point, I’ll go with that definition.

hydepark March 13, 2013 at 09:34 pm

Not sure why, but Mike gets a little touchy when really, really awesome shit happens to people that aren’t him. Badass video that truly could spell the future of consumption and production.

ENDO-Mike March 13, 2013 at 09:40 pm

I swear you don’t even read posts before you talk shit on some of them. I support the project, I just don’t think that arrogant-as-fuck kid is a good spokesperson.

hydepark March 15, 2013 at 01:41 am

You know I support what you do here, Mike. I just throw my two cents in like everyone else.

ENDO-Mike March 15, 2013 at 01:46 am

I know, I just find when I read some of your critical your comments it appears you didn’t actually read the post.

Sky johnson March 14, 2013 at 02:18 pm

This video is like vigilant spectre’s website. Perhaps it was created in seriousness. But it comes off as a joke.

GenericName March 14, 2013 at 04:06 pm

I was told about these people by a friend, and was genuinely interested from what he’d told me. After seeing what they’ve done and how they treat themselves, I’m seriously let down. “We made an AR lower and several magazine types! Praise us!” I think Mike’s pretty spot-on, calling this guy “3D Printing Jesus.” Until they develop a firearm of their very own design and make the blueprint open-source, I’ll remain nothing more than merely amused. Oh, wait. That’s my project.

M March 15, 2013 at 07:29 pm

an open source gun sounds like a cool project. Sounds a bit like what Stephenson talked about in his book, the holocaust prevention gun. good luck.

M March 15, 2013 at 07:30 pm

I was clear as mud, the Cryptonomicon was the book, the name of the gun was something about holocaust prevention. harm or harp or something.

GenericName March 15, 2013 at 07:32 pm

Thanks- right now I’m just working on the trigger group- trying not to just plagiarize from the AK.