HEAAAAAAAAAAAD SHOT – Deer Lawd This Is Graphic

Ermahgerd! Do not hit play on this if kids are around:

I’ll be honest, I was ready for some gore when I hit play but I wasn’t expecting to laugh.  Apparently I have the maturity of a 6 year old though because when those eyes bulged out in slow motion and the “big league chew” flew out the opening in the deer’s dome piece it caught me by surprise and I lost it.  I immediately felt bad after because I like deer and am not a hunter (I’m not against hunting), but it wasn’t the first time and won’t be the last time I laugh at something inappropriate so I got over it quick.

Deer-Meme-CabelasThe reason for head shots explained after seem solid.  Like he said though, the margin for error is very small so unless you’re a hunting operator of the highest operational operatory levels maybe you better stick with body shots.

Thoughts?  Are you 360 degree head shotting deer (scope or no scope we’ll say) from yards on yards on yards?

Bez March 29, 2013 at 12:29 am

WHOA. WHOA.

WHAT?

No One March 29, 2013 at 12:31 am

:0!

MRROGERS1 March 29, 2013 at 01:05 am

Ha ha! Um, someone should send link to that idiot Piers Morgan. Lol

Julio March 29, 2013 at 02:45 am

Headshots can make sense when shooting farmed deer in an enclosed park as there’s plenty of time, ranges are short, and the purpose of the kill is soleley to harvest (undamaged) meat.

But when hunting in the “wild”, deer are more mobile, briefer and less predictable opportunities are presented, and a greater margin for error is needed. The deer only has to turn its head at the wrong moment for a DRT shot to become a disaster, so heart/lung shots have to be the rule and a degree of meat damage is the price that must be paid to ensure a humane kill.

As for the video, I think it was more graphic than necessary. I would have preferred to see them use the time to explain the special context in which head shots might be justified, not just the importance of taking shots from the front or (better) rear when head-shooting deer. Bu tthen that wouldn’t have got so many people linking to it/ talking about it.

doyletoo March 29, 2013 at 06:49 am

I agree with Julio on this. In one way a head shot makes better sense because it will drop the deer
in its tracks and not ruin any meat on the body. BUT you gotta be sure you can make it. I’d bet 95% (or more) of deer hunters aren’t up to it even if they want. For many hunters their only shooting is at the range just to confirm the scope zero (if that) before the hunt. And then they need that scope to hit the deer at less than 100 yds. No indictment of deer hunters, just my observations of “the average” deer hunter that I have seen. Too many have a lack of basic marksmanship skills.

kinda reminds me of this:

Critter March 29, 2013 at 07:33 am

i’ve done neck shots at 150 to 275 yards, but have never tried a noggin shot. the neck is just as effective and easier.

dave w March 29, 2013 at 09:03 am

was not expecting that while eating breakfast.

Taylor TX March 29, 2013 at 09:45 am

Exactly Critter, much easier to shoot for the neck or flank/heart area. The dudes shooting deer on a deer farm give a very one sided view of the shitload of stuff that comes before you actually even get close to pulling the trigger. The amount of meat lost really isnt too much of an issue, especially if you cut it , clean it and pack it yourself. DAMNIT, i want to go shoot me a doe and make some deer chili now.

Al T. March 29, 2013 at 10:23 am

Almost lunch time……. Tomato soups sounds good….

Saxon March 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

Oh man, I laughed too. I feel bad now. Any videos of Taliban reacting the same way to recieving a head shot? Thanks Mike, now big league chew is ruined for me!

anon March 29, 2013 at 12:08 pm

As a matter of fact, yes.
All age and graphic warning disclaimers imaginable apply:

Saxon March 29, 2013 at 04:28 pm

Damn, dudes head looks like a watermelon after Gallagher is done with it!

Lt.Fenix March 29, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Holy fucking shit, was that a .50 BMG or something?

retro.joe March 29, 2013 at 11:49 am

To paraphrase an outdoors writer (who was talking about the asinine trend towards using increasingly smaller calibers on deer); It’s a lot of fun for the hunter to make tough shots but not so much for the deer when it doesn’t work according to plan.

032125 March 29, 2013 at 02:29 pm

Knowledge should never be avoided, castigated, or decried. Before you would do violence to another, know what it is.

Wings as Eagles March 29, 2013 at 05:10 pm

The vast majority of hunters I know and hunt with would never take that shot over a solid vital area shot for the simple reason that a small error results in either a missed shot or a wounded animal that requires tracking. Solid shots make solid kills with little meat wasting. IMO this sort of shooting is foolish and only serves to satisfy the “tactical hunter operator” ego in the shooter.

Wolf March 29, 2013 at 07:52 pm

So no head on shot with my AK. Got it.

Dallas March 31, 2013 at 12:20 am

I’m the first? Really?

45er April 11, 2013 at 06:14 pm

You have to know your limitations and ability. Respecting the animal is paramount. You don’t take risks outside of your comfort zone just as you wouldn’t wing a long shot at the chest that you aren’t comfortable with. Taking a head shot that you know you can make is just fine. Taking one you aren’t sure of is no different than stretching your barrel further than you are comfortable on a chest shot. It isn’t ethical and you shouldn’t do it, no matter where you take the shot. I have not seen a larger amount of lost wounded deer when the shot in the head/neck vs the body. Understanding anatomy is paramount in taking these shots. It’s not just “head shooting.” Then again, understanding internal anatomy for chest/vital shots is just as important.

Peter April 14, 2013 at 05:35 am

Proves the point that a well placed bullet is the most humane method to dispatch anything. The brain is gone even before the sound of the shot can reach it so the animal neither feels nor hears anything. Death is instantaneous.

Dave K September 9, 2015 at 08:04 am

Excellent video! Cleaner than MTV! I have to put deer down that get struck on the road and this helped me to target the right spot on the deer’s head. Thank you!

I would love to watch the hunters head explode in slow motion after I placed a well amed shot from my 300 win in his head LOL March 21, 2016 at 07:29 pm

LOL