Breathtaking Ammunition Cross-sections

Beautiful *single tear rolls down cheek* * tongue licks it at corner of mouth*:

Ammunition-Cross-Sections-5 Ammunition-Cross-Sections-6 Ammunition-Cross-Sections-1 Ammunition-Cross-Sections-4 Ammunition-Cross-Sections-3 Ammunition-Cross-Sections-2

This series of ammunition cross-sections was photographed inside a WWII bunker in Switzerland in October of 2012.  The entire series consists of 900 specimen.  I was originally intrigued by the ambiguous nature of the subject matter.  The cross-sections reveal a hidden complexity and beauty of form, which stands in vast contrast to the destructive purpose of the object.  It’s a representation of the evil and the beautiful, a reflection of the human condition.

Well there you have it… the standard artsy purpose statement.  haha “reflection of the human condition”.

Source – Sabine Pearlman Photography

I’m pretty sure most of those are magical experimental rounds that most of us could never get our hands on.  Really neat to see… I wish she sold huge prints.  I want to see all 900 photographs!

Hat tip: Matthew, Calvin, bmlessler, Scott

Fuddlebucks June 24, 2013 at 12:00 pm

*Tastes Salty*:

Todd S June 24, 2013 at 01:16 pm

I love it!

Doyletoo June 24, 2013 at 01:41 pm

Cross section #4 in black and red appears to be a Speer plastic target practice cartridge.
Red plastic cartridge with black plastic wadcutter bullet. Powered by primer only
It can be used indoors for close range practice. I have some my dad used when he
Was a state trooper. Neat idea. Shoot into a cardboard box stuffed w rags and you
Can recycle the bullets till they hit something hard and deform.

M June 24, 2013 at 03:53 pm

makes me wonder how it was done. I wouldn’t want any kind of machine tool in contact with a live round! too much risk…

It does appear that theres a waxy substance on the powder, so maybe there is a lot of staging going on.

They are beautiful tho, I too wish that prints were available for the man cave. Maybe we need to organize a pro-gun gala at a museum somewhere!

dave w June 24, 2013 at 07:51 pm

lasers! Well maybe. or maybe some other method, im getting my hacksaw and going to the garage.

Jim P. June 24, 2013 at 06:18 pm

It’s a representation of the evil and the beautiful, a reflection of the human condition.

That statement tell me the writer is an anti-gun type. I do my best not to buy anything from an anti-gun source. Why let them profit from ignorance and fear.

Quint Young June 24, 2013 at 09:28 pm

The top left one is a glaser blue tip safety slug

James P June 25, 2013 at 01:32 pm

Really really cool, but the last sentence made me gag.

Mike B June 25, 2013 at 08:00 pm

I want the wallpaper.

The REAL wallpaper, for my reloading room :)

Fuddlebucks June 26, 2013 at 11:02 am

I just printed 100 copies on my inkjet. Im am now paper mache-ing them to my walls. Im starting to see patterns. I think there is a hidden message!