AR500 Armor Plate Torture Test

Demolition Ranch trolls then tests:

When he was about to do the first test I was like Uhhhhhhhhhh.   I thought it was going to be camera tricks because he seems like an intelligent guy, so I’m glad he was just trolling.

I never thought about how hard armor could deflect bits and pieces into your body.  That really sucks.  Hopefully the plate carriers they go inside would be sufficient to slow down those pieces in order to prevent injury.

8:10 – “I’m not sure what this is… the guy I bought the shotgun gun from gave me a bunch of weird rounds” – hahha I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t touch mystery ammo.

Demolition-Ranch-ENDO-Builders-Club9:54 – Holy those 7.62 armor piercing ones sliced through that like nothing.  Impressive.

10:25 – I was wondering if he was going to move his truck or not haha that could have been interesting.

Demolition Matt is wearing the ENDO Apparel AR-15 Builders Club t-shirt.

EBRShooter July 4, 2013 at 12:45 am

With AR500 body armor you need a spall liner, no buts! Unless you buy a ballistic plate carrier like an IBA or IOTV. There are a number of ways and materials commercially available to DIY spall liner of course.
Watch MAC’s videos on armor testing:
Also, 30-06 M2 AP cuts through 1/2″ AR500 like butter:

drone July 4, 2013 at 04:47 am

“I never thought about how hard armor could deflect bits and pieces into your body.”

This effect has been used in anti-armor shells for decades: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-explosive_squash_head

Not so useful these days due to the widespread use of spaced armour that effectively absorbs the blast wave.

Rih July 4, 2013 at 06:40 am

Do I hear a dog panting throughout this vid?

AndyHasky July 4, 2013 at 08:12 am

Dat Aggie ring

SomeGuy July 4, 2013 at 09:14 am

If you need mutli hit armor, go home operator, your drunk.

Spectre July 4, 2013 at 04:27 pm

It’s rated for 7.62 NATO not .308 Win.

Just saying.

SittingDown July 4, 2013 at 05:03 pm

Line-X on armor?

Jim P. July 4, 2013 at 09:09 pm

The real question is which leaves the bigger bruise — this or Kevlar?

Matt in FL July 6, 2013 at 02:34 pm

About the spalling… Last time my buddy hosted a range day at his farm, one of the guys brought some homemade spinner targets. There were four of decreasing size hung from chains on a 4′ long piece of pipe, so they could spin around the pipe. By the end of the day, with eight or ten shooters putting several thousand total rounds downrange, there was a 4″ deep, 4″ wide, 4′ long trench in the dirt directly below the pipe where those targets were hanging.

Matt in FL July 6, 2013 at 02:35 pm

Forgot to say, those four targets were all made out of this AR500 armor plate material.

Josh C. July 8, 2013 at 07:03 am

Looks like a fun ass day on the ranch! I wish they would have used NATO 7.62×51 ammo instead of .308 but still entertaining as hell. The airsoft did catch me in the beginning too.

dgdimick July 8, 2013 at 08:48 am

I was wondering if this stuff was any good. I’ve seen the videos, however, we all know that videos from the manufacture are edited to make the stuff look good.

Each plate is about 8lbs, so by the time you get a full set, you’re looking at about 25lbs.

sig5413 October 21, 2013 at 06:18 pm

Looks like their line-x coating takes care of most of the spalling. http://www.ar500armor.com/line-x-protective-base-coating.html

Jim Bov November 6, 2013 at 03:22 pm

Did you know that AR500ARMOR.COM claim their plates are 100% made in the USA, but their metal comes from a mill in Mexico? They buy their metal from a company called Kloeknermetals / Temtco Steel in Apache Junction, AZ. I know because I called Kloeknermetals and they told me they sold AR500 (branded as OMEGA Armor) to AR500ARMOR.Com in Phoenix. They will tell you straight up that they buy the slabs from a mill in Mexico. How can you claim your product is 100% made in the USA if you don’t use metal metaled and formed in the USA. (they only roll it here)

If they are fraudulent enough to tell you they have a 100% Made in the USA product and don’t, I won’t do business with them.

THE VigilantSpectre November 6, 2013 at 03:38 pm

Codex Armory, by contrast, makes a superior plate that is 1.) more cost effective & 2.) 100% made in the USA.

Noderpallowed November 16, 2016 at 04:34 pm

Yeah? And how do you know that it’s superior? Did you do a side by side comparison test?

Roninart February 14, 2015 at 11:06 am

Just so everyone is clear 7.62×51 and .308 are ballisticlly identical and fire out of the same rifle.