Chris Costa Is The White Tactical Dave Chappelle

I can’t get on board with tactical arm tape, and derp ninja turtle HIV backpacks… but the guy can tell a story:

Christ-Costa-Travis-Haley-Drake-Clark-Magpul-Dynamics-Bust-EmHBO special coming soon?

Hell, after seeing a few videos like this I’d probably feel I got my money’s worth in a class just off the comedy alone.

Hat tip: Van

SittingDown October 21, 2013 at 02:48 am

“We were wearing baklavas.” -Chris ‘Costco’ @ 00:32

MMMmm. Baklavas. :D

Re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava

ENDO-Mike October 21, 2013 at 09:27 pm

LOL Baklavas. I always grab one of those when I get a gyro. Good stuff.

elephantrider October 22, 2013 at 04:48 pm

He’s so high speed he just drops a syllable on that word to get through his sentence faster. Besides he only uses dessert words in his stories, because they’re “just better.”

If you’re going to wear one, it might help to know how to spell it and pronounce it.

elephantrider October 22, 2013 at 08:26 pm

Mike you forgot to mention the Zombie shark jumping.

FMR Army Scout February 13, 2015 at 01:29 pm

Coast Guard? I guess the Army, Navy and Marines recruiter was closed that day. Look take fashion tactical tips from this guy not tactical shooting lessons.

This guys a joke.

Scouts out”””
Gerry Owen…..

FMR Army Scout February 13, 2015 at 01:36 pm

Coast Guard right? Never take tactical advice from a guy who’s combat tactical training consisted of a 9 MM and a female instructor. However he has great tactical gear fashion sense.
This guys a joke.
Scouts Out
Gerry Owen.

Regulus October 21, 2013 at 03:32 am

What a tool

elephantrider October 22, 2013 at 04:51 pm

When you have nothing good to teach it’s important to compensate with ‘cool stories’ and jokes. This guy is a tactical tool bag.

John October 21, 2013 at 05:48 am

You know, I don’t see a big deal here. He tells a story in a funny way. Big deal.

Haters gonna hate.

kfg October 21, 2013 at 06:29 am

As a general rule the whole Urban Operator(tm) thang alternately makes me giggle, gives me hives, but in this case:

I’ll note that the backpack isn’t a backpack. It’s a bike messenger style sling bag. As most of my “operations,” both urban and rural, tend occur on a bicycle this actually looks like a nifty little bit of kit to me; for my somewhat unusual needs ( I don’t ride a police “mountain” bike. I ride a pursuiter).

I am a little fuzzy, however, on how a bag emblazoned with a gun related logo and, ya know, a pistol case hanging off the side of it, fails to scream “I have a gun!”

SittingDown October 21, 2013 at 07:02 am
Matt October 21, 2013 at 08:04 am

Some people just love to hate

Matt in FL October 21, 2013 at 08:36 am

I laughed, so I got my money’s worth out of this post.

AlphaGeek October 21, 2013 at 01:44 pm

I’ll be taking a 3-day carbine class with him on Wednesday. Might have to demand my money back if we don’t get a story like this!

James Earl Jones October 21, 2013 at 01:46 pm

Like, bro dude, that was totally hilarious, brosef. Like, I bet he still drinks brewskis with all his border patrol brochachos. Like, dude, totally, bro.

ENDO-Mike October 21, 2013 at 09:28 pm

Go home James Earl Jones, you’re drunk! :P

SittingDown October 23, 2013 at 10:05 am
Doyletoo October 21, 2013 at 02:50 pm

Never heard him speak before, just seen the stern ” I’m operating while thinking about operations I was an operator on” look. That just humanized him for me. Funny as $h!t starting at about 5:00. Enjoyed that tremendously.

Max October 21, 2013 at 07:20 pm

Doyletoo you should look up the outtakes from the magpul DVD’s featuring him and TrayHay before the unpleasantness, shit is funny as fuck.

ENDO-Mike October 21, 2013 at 09:29 pm

unpleasantness? Like tactical beef between Costa / Haley? Tell me more…

M October 21, 2013 at 04:08 pm

Tactical Jesus on the Mount is priceless! I want a tee!

ENDO-Mike October 21, 2013 at 09:31 pm

haha did you click on the pic to enlarge it? I photoshopped Haley, Costas faces in, and Drake’s tattoo on that one guy at the front. Some of my best work.

M October 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I did. A Masterpiece, the ENDO logo on the rock was a nice touch too. I wonder if posters would sell…

I can imagine my more religious friends having their heads explode when they see it!

Will October 22, 2013 at 02:27 pm

Need to make a shirt of that! ENDO Logo up front, photo on the back!

SittingDown October 22, 2013 at 09:32 pm

You should Photoshop Chris “Costco” Costa’s face onto a picture of a shark jumping out of the ocean. LOL ;D

MattV2099 October 21, 2013 at 07:09 pm

Who is telling the story is much more important than the story itself.
Cool story, bro.

GreenMountain Human October 22, 2013 at 04:21 am

Besides the dynamic shark-jumping, he’s probably a cool guy, who happens to have once operated in some operations and got to cash in on it. Would you, the reader, do the same? Irrelevant. I’d guess many of the dudes who post and troll on ENDO would put their endorsement on some tacticool derp-cessory that was guaranteed to sell. Anyway, the man tells a funny story, in a self deprecating way. At least he can make fun of himself instead of just putting out the macho tough guy image. I’d like to see Yeager try that, it might almost make him watchable…

frank stouffer October 22, 2013 at 02:30 pm

Chode

S. Cautela October 22, 2013 at 03:21 pm

Not a bad anecdote… I’m not sure how much the target audience learned about situational awareness from this presentation… Did like the “Aliens” reference though… Not a huge fan of the annoying sycophantic laughs from the audience.

Paste October 22, 2013 at 06:50 pm

Tall guy no hat, blue shirt white shoulder stripe sums it up. He’s bored as fuck and not amused. He’s yawning, playing with eye pro, looking down not paying attention. He paid money to learn to shoot better, not for a lesson on court jestering.

The awkward forced laughter was palpable. The rolling around on the ground was just sad.
The Jeff Gonzales’, Kyle Lamb’s, etc., of the world impress you with their instruction and perspective.

elephantrider October 22, 2013 at 08:19 pm

Paste, you nailed it.

The real BTDT types that want to teach are usually pretty mellow low-key guys that don’t attempt to impress with ‘war stories,’ or other assorted B.S. They don’t need laughter or applause to validate themselves. That isn’t to say that they don’t have a sense of humor.

There was something to be learned from this story, but he could have told it in a much more humble manner. Yeah sure he was making fun of himself as a younger man, but he could have done it in a much less ‘look at me, ain’t I funny?’ way. Classes are about the students and knowledge/skill transfer, not the instructor’s wacky sense of humor. I’m all for having a good time and fun atmosphere at a class, but after a point it detracts from the learning experience. If I want to hear jokes and shoot, I can do that with friends on my own time.

I do not get the comments on here of ‘what a cool guy, gotta take a class with him, funny shit,’ etc. I’ve taken a course with this guy before and his curriculum and teaching skills were lacking. Many rounds were fired, but little learning occurred.

Richard October 23, 2013 at 07:57 pm

that was seven minutes of him telling a story like dane cook tells a joke
lots of energy terrible ending

Sergio November 24, 2013 at 10:13 am

This remember me a scene from Natural Born Killers movie and he is armed! around some people that looks like police /jail guards.

lawdawg February 21, 2014 at 02:56 pm

You think that was him trying to tell a cool story to make himself seem bigger than he is? It sounded completely self-deprecating to me.

If you had ever ever been to one of those long training sessions, you would know that some humor here and there helps keep the students focused. Its a tactic taught in most instructor training.

FMR Army Scout February 13, 2015 at 01:33 pm

Coast Guard right? Never take tactical advice from a guys combat tactical training consisted of a 9 MM and a female instructor. However he has great tactical gear fashion sense.
This guys a joke.
Scouts Out
Gerry Owen.

Megan August 21, 2015 at 08:30 pm

Hey Gerry Owen…same team, right? In the end you all have been separated from family & friends, been a piece of government property, and received the same rank pay no matter what branch you served. I’m pretty sure your dbag comments are because you didn’t have the brains to reach the minimal ASVAB requirements to even be considered for the small, yet elite CG…or possibly you have what’s know as Small Penis Syndrome (SPS). You should probably have the VA check that out. I hear they treat all five military branches there.

Yours truly,
a GM Coastie Wife

Kris April 4, 2016 at 02:48 pm

@Megan

The Coast Guard is elite? Never heard that one.