AR-15 Kaboom – Why I Don’t Reload

Cause was a binary pistol/rifle powder charge on a reload. There was no barrel obstruction:

I’ll probably reload someday because I have quite a bit of brass. Stuff like this scares me though.

• More pics on – HERE
  • Source of thread – HERE (you need to be a member to see the pics here though)

Funny how he can just dust that ACOG off and put it on a new rifle. No surprise there though, you get what you pay for.

The shooter is apparently OK.

Miguel April 15, 2011 at 05:21 am

I only reload straight cased ammo for handguns. It is fairly simple and if precautions are taken, rather safe.

However if you continue having misgivings about reloading, I humbly offer my services as Foster Parent for all that brass you have accumulated :)

Admin (Mike) April 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

haha brass foster parent!

Nice work on the Colin Goddard comment on Snowflakes getting under the anti’s skin btw. I read the article and saw the facebook page before you took the article down. They were pretty pissed off about that. haha

Patrick April 15, 2011 at 03:47 pm

I missed the comment, Miguel and would really love to see it. Email me?

Patrick April 15, 2011 at 03:55 pm

Was it the Brady Clippy still on your site?

Jeff April 15, 2011 at 06:38 am

Just follow the directions for the loads and it’s perfectly safe.
I tend to go slow and weigh my powder twice with my setup.

The danger comes from when you
1. Don’t pay attention
2. That ammo isn’t “hot” enough so you so you want to add a little “oomph” to it that is way beyond the max charge.

Critter April 15, 2011 at 06:40 am

Reloading is perfectly safe IF one knows what one is doing. I’m thinking that the owner of this ex-AR was not strong in the force.

Jason April 15, 2011 at 07:36 am

Is that one of the Cavalry Arms CAV-15 MkIII polymer lowers? I wonder what the damage would have been to a standard lower. I’m sure the Cavalry Arms lowers are well build but I can’t help but wonder if, in this case, it posed more danger to the operator.

Admin (Mike) April 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

Aluminum may have been less safe actually because when it exploded it would have probably fragmented more. This cav arms one seemed to just crack (except for the one part of the magwell), which was probably a blessing.

SPC Fish April 16, 2011 at 10:24 pm

i wonder if he had one of those new polymer uppers on it to try to make a super lightweight rifle. then decided to try some superhot handloads

Paranoid in Montana April 15, 2011 at 07:46 am

I enjoy reloading. I reload 7.62×51 for hunting and fun shooting. I reload .223 for hunting and fun shooting. Oh hell, I reload because it’s fun. .223 reloading is a little hard to justify. There isn’t any performance gain that I’ve seen. The steel cased stuff shoots just as well as my plinking loads and the match stuff shoot better than my best loads. It’s marginally cheaper and I hate getting rid of brass so it treats some of my mental issues. Most of my reloading is 9mm because I’ve got a 1000 round a week pistol habit and it’s the only way I can afford it. My advice, get one of the big name books. Hornady, Speer, etc. Then get the little book for any caliber you plan on reloading. That way you can read up on what they all say without having a 10 foot stack of books to look through as you are digesting all the information. The ABC’s of reloading should be required reading as well.

Admin (Mike) April 15, 2011 at 10:35 am

1000 9mm rounds a week! That’s awesome.

Yea i’ll have to do what you suggested someday.

Laughingdog April 17, 2011 at 11:27 pm

These days, I’ve found it’s also easy enough to just go to the powder manufacturer’s website and get their charge data for whatever you’re loading.

Miguel April 15, 2011 at 08:18 am

+1 for Jeff and Paranoid.
Before buying any equipment, you should buy the ABC’s Of reloading.

Jeff April 15, 2011 at 09:40 am

That guy spent a LOT of money on his AR to have it go kapoot, still has his ACOG though, thats the good thing… but I don’t think that preset drop-in FCG is going to still have the same trigger pull =P

Josh April 15, 2011 at 10:00 am

Looks like a fine example of why it’s a good idea to always wear eye protection when you’re shooting.

MAC21500 April 15, 2011 at 10:15 am

That is a slam fire not an incorrect powder mixture; if you look at the pics on AR none of the locking lugs are torn out and the breech isn’t split, nor is the barrel ruptured. Must’ve not used mil spec primers or seated them properly.

SPC Fish April 16, 2011 at 10:25 pm

good observations

Critter April 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’ve seen binary loads listed for Very large rifle calbers that utilize a small charge of pistol powder to ignite a large charge of very slow burning rifle powder. What this guy was thinking putting a binary charge in something as small as .223 is beyond me.

WPZ April 18, 2011 at 09:38 pm

What’s “factory ammunition”?

Antibubba April 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

If it’d been an AK he never would’ve noticed.
Good thing it wasn’t a 45 ayceepee–it would have taken off his entire right side!

SPC Fish April 19, 2011 at 05:45 pm

yeah, never noticed, RIIIIGGGHHHT

Butch Williams June 24, 2017 at 05:10 pm

To much of a powder charge excessive pressure in the chamber looks like to me.