Silencers 101

Blog reader Adam kicks some suppressor knowledge for your pleasure:

The video is quite long at 23 minutes, but it moves quickly and there is a wealth of great info. The part about Nielsen devices at around the 11 minute mark is especially great info.

The guy has a LOT of suppressors.




Robert October 5, 2012 at 09:34 am

I really wished he would have used the term suppressor instead of silencer.


ENDO-Mike October 5, 2012 at 11:22 am

Yea I thought “silencer” as an unacceptable term, but apparently those terms are interchangeable nowadays.


JonMac October 20, 2012 at 04:36 am

What I always say is that Maxim invented it as a ‘silencer’, so it’s not incorrect. It’s just not what most knowledgeable people call them (not saying this guy isn’t knowledgeable). Some people reserve ‘silencer’ for things like Welrods, De Lisles, Hi-Standards etc, and suppressor (or ‘moderator’) in the UK for everything else.


Rodger Young October 5, 2012 at 10:51 am
Phoenix October 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm

ATF terms them as silencers. Hiram Maxim’s patent was for silencer (car mufflers in england are called silencers). Silencer, Suppressor, Can, WICKED AWESOME COOL THING ON THE END OF THE GUN!!! they are called alot of things and all are correct. Ive been on a forum with Adam (Fireman1291) for about 2-3 years now and he has alot of knowledge on the subject.


Hollister October 5, 2012 at 05:31 pm

As has been mentioned, the correct term is “Silencer”. The Pop Culture, “movie logic” term is “Suppressor”. The “firearms silencer” was patented on March 30, 1909 by Hirum Percy Maxim. NFA1934 has to do with Silencers and when you fill out BATFE paperwork, it’s a Silencer. In the movies they call it a suppressor because “it doesn’t make the gun silent”, “we” jump up and down about the term “silencer”. In “Ronin” they tell us that spraying “Teflon” makes projectiles Armor Percing”

It’s popular in movies and in popular culture to call Magazines “Clips”, but we all jump up and down about that misuse, now don’t we. A gun rug is not really a Rug. Cartridges are often referred to as “Bullets”.

I personally go crazy when I hear supposed gun folk mention “Assualt Weapons” when referring to magazine fed rifles and “High Capacity Magazines” when referring to a magazine designed for more the ten rounds.

Having said all that, lets not hate folks for using proper terminology. We as the American Gun Culture have bigger fights on our hands.

My humble opinion and experience


M October 5, 2012 at 10:28 pm

*Dreaming of going shooting without ear protection*…


MrMaigo October 6, 2012 at 08:40 am

damn that’s a lot of money


Jim P. October 7, 2012 at 12:07 am

That guy definitely knows what he is talking about. But I didn’t see a single oil filter in his collection. ;-)


Adam October 7, 2012 at 02:09 pm

I see I made your blog again! Thanks for posting my SILENCER vid ;)



Older post:

Newer post: