CNC Machining An AR-15 Bolt

*Doot Doot Doot* on the machine and volia:

*gasp* it’s beautiful.  Suspenseful music too.

There’s always some genius in the comments who asks “How much for the machine?”.  Maybe it’s just curiosity / and being nosy this time, but more often than not its because they think they can buy it with a paycheck or two, unpack the thing and make gun parts 9 minutes later.  Then comes the stupid-guy math… If I can make one of these every say 10 minutes, there are 60 minutes in an hour so that’s 6 AR-15 bolts per hour… if I run it for 20 hours per day then that’s 120 per day which I can sell for …… etc… *eye roll*

Assault-Rifle-Because-I-Am-BlackThoughts?

Hat tip: Kris

Gizmo June 10, 2014 at 02:37 am

It looks like that machine was doing two jobs at once…I so wish I had that machine as a teen. Would’ve had a lot of fun…killing myself after putting a motorcycle engine into a go kart frame LOL

Tito June 10, 2014 at 05:10 am

How much for the machine, autographed by endo mike?

ENDO-Mike June 10, 2014 at 11:11 am

I only autograph manboobs, not machines.

Tito June 10, 2014 at 11:46 am

Got that covered

That Creepy Guy June 11, 2014 at 01:30 am

How much to autograph my manboob?

derpmaster June 10, 2014 at 05:25 am

>“How much for the machine?”
A lot more than a paycheck or two, unless you are a hedge fund manager or oil sheik. You had better be making high value items (precision engine components, orthopedic nuts and bolts, etc) and running this sucker 3 shifts 7 days a week to even consider it.

Afuckingleaf June 26, 2018 at 02:38 pm

Hahahahaha, no. Theyre not that expensive.

Windy Wilson June 10, 2014 at 03:48 pm

” if I run it for 20 hours per day then that’s 120 per day which I can sell for …… etc…”

My friend who makes stuff for the craft fair circuit runs into that all the time.

“So, you crank out one of these every hour and you want $20 for it? That’s a lot compared to the $17.00 each at the brick and mortar stores.”
“Why are you concerned that you think I’m making $20.00 per hour for this hand made item? If you don’t count the time ordering the materials, inventorying the stuff, packing it, unpacking it, signing up for the craft fair, marketing, setting up, tearing down, getting hassled by the tax agencies who wish I would be gainfully employed so they can take the money without needing to assign a caseworker, then, yes, I’m making $20 per hour.

ENDO-Mike June 10, 2014 at 03:51 pm

haha yea having a business is always the easiest thing in the world, and you can make 600% profit on everything you sell according to most people that don’t have their own businesses.

Pastafarian June 10, 2014 at 08:07 pm

This machine is probably around $200,000 new.

I’m surprised that they would remove the guide bushing for a part like this, leaving the bar dangling out there like that. And I’m skeptical that this demo part is really being run from alloy 8620 with these speeds and feeds, with the coolant off. I think they have some 303 stainless in there for this demo piece, so they could turn the coolant off without smoking the tools.

We run Tsugamis. I think we could do a little better than 9 minutes on this part with our machines — 9 minutes is an eternity on a Swiss machine.

Cool video, though.

Billy June 11, 2014 at 01:52 pm

9 minutes is a long time on a swiss, most of our parts are running in the 30s range, but are also smaller and simpler (20mm machines). That is a bunch of live tooling that is required though. But I bet they could get it down more if they were running it as a production part.

Sophi Medrens June 15, 2014 at 11:14 pm

This is the information bushing on the Swistek appliance. They make use of a cross rotary information bushing. That is scarcely lurking generally there very far, in particular since the small patience ODs are going to be surface immediately after temperature treat. As well as I know they used different stuff for their zero-coolant demonstration.