Adaptive Zoom Rifle Scope Got Homies Blowin Up The Celly Phone

Changing the focal length of the internal lenses just like your eyeball:

crazy-eye-pugCool technology but terrible video.  The parts where the people are talking has weird camera angles or backgrounds and I feel like I’m being sold snake oil.  The science seems solid though I’ll say that… I hope we seem more of this.

Looks like you can pair it with your favorite red dot sight so that’s a bonus. I’m sure they will licence out the technology soon enough so we can get all-in-one solutions.

All I want to do is Zoom-a-zoom zoom zoom zoom.  What you wanna do?

Hat tip: Joshua, Erik

Skip11B October 26, 2014 at 05:13 am

00:36 how do they move? can you do that again please?

Orangejoe October 26, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I come here for the t-shirts (ok, mostly for the derp).

Sandia Natl. Labs operates; please move along now.

JohnnyIShootStuff October 26, 2014 at 12:53 pm

This thing screams of bad 2002 like conference booth video. The cheesy photo backgrounds and the moving laser like text background make me wonder if he got this video done for free. It’s a cool product, but it means batteries on the battle field. I’d like to see a small rugged solar panel on the top rail as a way to eliminate the need to change out batteries.

Skip11B October 27, 2014 at 05:06 am

Just about everything we use these days takes batteries. your GPS, radio, weapon light, weapon sight, NVG’s, camera, flash light, IR strobes, you name it, if Dude is carrying it to go fight its got batteries. standardization is the key. but I agree with you, if you could get it to be dual power source and run the solar to back up the batteries that would be a sweet deal.

Eric October 27, 2014 at 07:51 pm

The more parts you have in a system, the more opportunities it has to break down. They already have portable solar panels for backpackers to recharge batteries. Now, if you’re talking about solar powered sharks with laser beams, I might be persuaded.

mafbloggerdanny October 27, 2014 at 12:08 pm

wow this looks totally bad ass!!! I am impressed. I don’t like the look of that control system though…looks like mushy rubber buttons, and I saw one guy using his index and middle finger on them with hand wrapped around the hand guard. I think (for me) ideally you would control the zoom with a nice positive-feeling wheel actuated by your thumb. It should be ‘clicky’ too with tactile feedback, kinda like how the scroll wheel on your mouse feels.

Jim October 27, 2014 at 03:10 pm

Looks like a b2b sales or information video. Nothing they say is a superlative, exaggeration, or bases a position on a viewer’s assumed ignorance. Quite the opposite of snake oil sales pitch.

The real question is durability. If the system is durable enough for rough handling and 1000s and 1000s of rounds of recoil, then it could be the next big step in the optics industry for military applications.

Great video.

jonnyb November 12, 2014 at 01:08 pm

00:43 to 00:56… We’re doing Science!