Homemade Bolt Action 12GA Shotgun Test Firing

In part 1 we saw the homemade shotgun. This is the test firing:

Royal-Nonesuch-Homemade-12-GA-ShotgunLOL at him not giving a shit it is shooting the rounds into the air at an ever increasing angle.

When he test shot by hand at the end, it’s lucky he had on his protective Oakleys and earbud headphones just in case ;)

I saw in the YouTube comments he said that the critical dimensions didn’t change at all.  So awesome.  Thoughts?

Eric November 2, 2014 at 02:33 am

I wish the kid all the best, but I hope he has someone waiting in the car in case something happens.

PB November 2, 2014 at 07:35 am

Agreed. I think the kid is playing with fire and it’s just a matter of time…

TheBear November 3, 2014 at 08:59 am

Padded rooms and childhoods spent 100% indoors are over there —>

derpmaster November 2, 2014 at 08:43 am

Shotguns are very low pressure. This thing is probably fine for at least a couple hundred shots, assuming his receiver/barrel weld is of high quality.

I wish that the bolt handle would lock more positively, however. In addition, it looks like there is no safety mechanism to prevent firing when the bolt isn’t locked. Firing this thing unlocked would probably result in a very bad day.

Kyle November 2, 2014 at 12:20 pm

He gets a lot of hate it seems like. People want to wring their hands and criticize every little thing about what he’s doing. I say he’s learning the best way possible, by just doing something. I never would have learned half the shit I know if I’d listened to everyone saying I was too young or it’s too technical/difficult/dangerous etc. Good on him for figuring things out his own way.

ENDO-Mike November 2, 2014 at 01:49 pm

Where does he get hate? I though the comments in YouTube were always pretty positive. I know I (we) give him a rough time about safety but that’s just for his own good.

TheBear November 3, 2014 at 09:00 am

Yeah, but giving someone a hard time for shooting a shotgun in the air, basically what it is designed to do, is kind of silly.

ENDO-Mike November 3, 2014 at 09:21 am

Buckshot goes a lot farther than birdshot as you know. I’m sure he was in the middle of a field by the look of it so it probably didn’t matter what direction the gun was facing as long as it was away from him.

TheBear November 4, 2014 at 06:13 am

I just rewatched the video and saw that some of those up in the air shots were buckshot rounds.

Well played, Endo Mike. Well played.

Drapetomanius November 2, 2014 at 01:06 pm

J.M. Browning probably started out like this. Not in YouTube, but tinkering. Some men are compelled to tinker, and it’s in all of our best interest to encourage them (from a safe distance).

Taylor November 2, 2014 at 03:21 pm

Give this guy a workshop with all the tools/materials he wants and I’d love to see what he cranks out.

Taylor November 2, 2014 at 04:53 pm

Also to be fair, most of bird hunting is sending lead through the air to who knows where.

TheBear November 3, 2014 at 09:04 am

The only thing I don’t get about his build is that without an extractor, this rifle is actually less efficient than his slamfire pipe gun.

TAOFLEDERMAUS November 6, 2014 at 03:37 pm

He was using an actual shotgun barrel. Yeah, I noticed the barrel angle changing too. I usually assume someone is shooting at a safe location instead of assuming there is an orphanage 100 feet away.

Delray Silverback November 6, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Homemade shotgun fired blindly into open field.

Homeschooling gone wrong.