Helium Balloon Lawn Chair Then Shotgun Escape Because America

Holy… Rockstar Energy / Erik Roner be crazy:

Erik-Roner-Helium-Balloon-Lawn-ChairMan… that made my stomach turn haha.

There was a 2008 Darwin award recipient who wasn’t so lucky, and a guy in 1982 who actually pulled it off but seemed to be out of luck for that guy more than anything.

Gat tip: Dennis

derpmaster December 24, 2014 at 07:49 am

He’s lucky that he didn’t drop that shotgun. A sling might have been a good idea.

Mechanically December 24, 2014 at 08:18 am

A sling would be one option, but I suspect the area below was pretty desolate…

Human terminal velocity is around 120mph… ish. From the looks of things, he was REALLY fighting the buttstock of that thing as it was acting as a fin, until he got it centered on his torso.

I think I would have opted to ditch the shotgun as soon as I bailed out of the chair. I bet you could rig up a LONG streamer of some sort, which would slow it down enough that it could land safely. I think I would trust that method more than my own bare hands while I tried to manage the ‘chute. It could be furled around the stock until it was deployed…

Either way, while I’m no Red Bull drinker, I appreciate they didn’t chicken out and use a slingshot.

Anyone else surprised at the seemingly low number of balloons each shot took out?

Drapetomanius December 24, 2014 at 05:08 pm

Hey man that’s Rockstar, not Red Bull. Rockstar is my poison of choice. Weirdly enough, the inventor of Rockstar is Russ Weiner, the son of radio nut Michael Savage. He first sold it in Las Vegas (where I lived at the time) and it was kind of a Vegas signature thing.

DinoRidingArab December 24, 2014 at 10:36 am

Count your rounds bro

Dennis December 24, 2014 at 11:51 am

What about a scarab holster attached to his chest? Perhaps that would have interfered with chute. Still would have strapped it on somehow.
And what load was he shooting? Each shot didn’t seem to take out very many balloons. Seems birdshot would be more effective. Guess he was too close to get a decent spread.

Raisedby_dogs December 24, 2014 at 04:15 pm

Maybe he could just man up and hold the shotgun with his hands… Oh wait.

Drapetomanius December 24, 2014 at 05:09 pm

It would have been cooler if he had put some targets in the DZ and shot them on his way down.

it's my day off December 24, 2014 at 09:59 pm

yea what a wasted opportunity. it would be fun enough just to shoot wildly into the empty air while high on rockstar. shoulda brought a ksg.

Richie December 25, 2014 at 07:09 am

Sorry guys, but it’s fake. That volume of air displacement is a 1.3 liters to 1. He’d need a mass of balloons the size of a large gymnasium to even budge off the ground.

Ndunkarn December 25, 2014 at 04:42 pm

Oh it’s real. Plenty of people have done it before.
The main reason people don’t so it more often is that helium is fucking expensive.

AJ Simon September 17, 2015 at 01:53 am

Plenty have done it before, but this one is fake.