PVC Pipe 12GA Shotgun

Royal Nonesuch, back like he never left:

Royal-Nonesuch-ENDOEven though I knew better, I was optimistic.  ABS is crap for this type of thing too right?

He should get a hold of a carbon fiber tube and try that out.

5:50 – LOL at the ceramic tile layered with duct tape.  I can’t wait.

Frank January 15, 2015 at 03:57 am

From my experience as a potato gun enthusiast: ABS pipes don’t have a pressure rating, but in effect it is about the same as PVC, maybe a bit higher. One big advantage of ABS for this type of shenanigan is that ABS tends to rip open and not shrapnel like PVC.

Vitsaus January 15, 2015 at 10:57 am

I don’t know why, but this home made gun dude creeps me out. I feel like if the cops raided his house they’d find abducted kids in his basement and wall of newspaper clippings with bad poetry written all over it in red ink.

Taylor January 15, 2015 at 02:03 pm

I was under the impression that he had a really organized, clean workspace. Guess not.
Also I predict catastrophic failure if he shoots those plates with his AK.

ENDO-Mike January 15, 2015 at 02:13 pm

Isn’t ceramic supposed to break? I thought that’s what the military plates were designed to do to absorb the impact.

Taylor January 15, 2015 at 07:26 pm

Not sure if they use ceramic exactly anymore, but I believe you’re right. I was more thinking of the fragmentation that’s going to come out the back end, unless he’s got more duct tape there than I thought. Depends on what it’s backed against, I suppose. I guess we’ll find out though!

James P January 17, 2015 at 08:44 pm

Mythbusters did a similar experiment with layered tiles and had decent results. They used the grids of smaller tiles though. It’s neat stuff.

jon spencer January 16, 2015 at 08:04 am

Burst pressure for 3/4″ Schedule 80 is a little over 2,000 psi and for 3/4″ schedule 40 (as shown) is right around 1,500 psi.
The pressure developed when a 12 gauge is fired is right around 11,000 psi.