Come For The Disarm Stay For The Sound Effects

Funker Tactical had me ROFLing with this one:

I still question the usefulness of pulling all your punches and kicks and jabs and replacing them with *doosh* *doosh* and *pssssshhhht* sound effects in “training”.  Additionally, who is this geared towards?  Krav Maga masters?  I don’t know the stats, but I’m guessing most robberies don’t end in homicides if the criminal gets what they want and can leave ASAP.  You start pulling fancyboy moves on them though and if you mess up it seems to me you just increased your chances of turning a simple robbery into your last day on earth.  Again, please correct me if I’m totally off base with this type of thinking.  I’m not saying the mechanics of the movements don’t make some sense, but there are just a load of variables.

2:05 – BLADE at 45! BLADE at 45!

2:10 – LOL man he better live… can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to die with those shoes on?  The homies would be like “oh Hell NAW, Hoov’s (Ryan Hoover’s new street name) went out like a bitch in those lady flyknits for real cuz!”

Reminds me of this video I posted on my Instagram (LOL even hit it with Krav Maga caption… so perfect):

*dussh dushh* *dussh dushh* #KravMaga

A video posted by ENDO (@everydaynodaysoff) on

Funker-Tactical-Handgun-DisarmingThoughts?  Would attempt disarm?  Would just give the wallet (or better yet a fake wallet you carry for this scenario) up?

18 COMMENTS

JUMP DOWN ↓ TO ADD ANOTHER

CisGenderedWhiteMale April 20, 2015 at 03:37 am

All this Krav Maga labeled self defense has become a giant cash grap.

“Eyy yo, we so combat proven real laif trening u jus follow dis and dis and then do this when gun is put against ur left ass cheek u gonna rek dis fucka in no tiem.”

Reply

overkill556x45 April 20, 2015 at 03:38 am

Why is the black guy the mugger? Krav Maga is RRRRRRAAAAACCCCIIISSSSST!

Reply

Big Jimmy April 20, 2015 at 07:21 am

ding ding ding!

Reply

Cal S. April 20, 2015 at 08:21 am

If you’re going to take Krav Maga, make sure it’s with certified LA or IKMF instructors who are completely up on their stuff. I know KM gets a bad rap thanks to all the douchy pseudo operators on YouTube who completely fail at it and claim that they’re certified, but after taking about 4 years of it under both the LA and IKMF, I have to say that it’s the best self-defense style that one could find. Karate and others are good, but too many times they’re oriented toward competitions (which have set rules that your opponents follow) instead of fighting sucker-punchers and muggers. The real instructors have resumes, but they’re surprisingly humble about it. I’ve heard them share anecdotal stories tying their military experience in with KM methods, but not a one of them has ever insisted that they’re “Echo Delta SEALs and just $89/mo. for 6 months and you can be one too!”

Yeah, you can do what you want, Mike, but I’m not going to trust a mugger’s good graces to spare my life if I hand him my wallet. There are a surprising number of post-robbery homicides from these sorts of things. Even if you compiled all of the statistics and proved to me that there was an 80% chance the mugger wouldn’t shoot me once he’s through, then there’s still a 20% chance he would kill me for spite. I thought that was one of the big reasons “Why I carry”, though? This is a gun blog, right?

Also, ENDO, the verbal sound effects do not replace the blows. Breathing in is natural and reflexive. Breathing out is not so much. Forceful exhaling at the apex of your strike serves two purposes: 1) it reminds you to breathe out, and 2) it adds power to your strike. So, even if you’re training and pulling your punches, you’ll still keep up the ‘sound effects’.

Reply

ENDO-Mike April 20, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I see what you mean about the 20% chance is not one you’re willing to take. Is it that high though? What’s an acceptable risk level? You’re obviously comfortable with disarms like this but what about for someone who is not. Should they just “try something”?

Interesting insight on the forceful exhaling, thanks!

Reply

Cal S. April 20, 2015 at 04:18 pm

It’s part of a mindset. If you refuse to be a victim, than any* risk level is acceptable. Time and again I’ve read stories where CCW holders have outfought and outgunned an attacker who had the drop on them. Granted, it may change from one situation to another on who’s around me and potentially in the line of fire (*I’m not arrogant or foolish enough to rule out compliance entirely), but I only view disarms like these in the light of “What am I going to do if I had to go into the post office and left my gun in the car.” Otherwise, you’re probably going to see me do the first weapons divert as my strong arm goes for my carry gun.

If someone isn’t trained properly, then a poorly executed technique could get them killed, yes. If you aren’t trained and don’t carry, then at that point you are pretty much relying on the good graces of the attacker, and I take your point.

Reply

Workingdog April 22, 2015 at 10:49 am

“I see what you mean about the 20% chance is not one you’re willing to take. Is it that high though?”

Victims are shot or stabbed no more often than 1 out of every 2000 armed robberies. (And frankly, if I’m planning on killing you my to-do list is: 1. Shoot you. 2. Steal.) Equally relevant, of course, are the odds that you’ll successfully pull off the disarm (keeping in mind that very good MLB shortstops flub about 30 out of every 1,000), whether the mugger has an accomplice (let’s say a 1 in 40 chance), etc.

Also, just once, I’d like to see someone show these disarms while walking down a parking garage staircase or in a mock crowded subway.

Reply

Tom in Wisconsin April 20, 2015 at 10:03 am

How many things went wrong to allow a gun to be touching your back?

Reply

Gizmo April 20, 2015 at 10:35 am

Is the answer Detroit?

Reply

ENDO-Mike April 20, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I’m in line behind you at 7-11 and I want your wallet! G17 to your back, what now krav boy? *Dooosh dooosh doosh doosh*?

Reply

Bruh Bruh April 20, 2015 at 09:50 pm

I dont care how aware you are, you are only reducing the risk of something happening. I am very aware of my surroundings. However things can happen that no matter how aware, you cant prevent. For those situations I train. And with training i practice. If i could entirely avoid such possibility i would never need a gun in the first place right?

As far as what would i do in this situation? Well ive played it out a few times on a simulator. What seemed to work most often (and what i was shown) was to comply as a distraction. They want your wallet? Toss or drop it as a distraction to get your weapon or just to act. I dont ever want to feel i can muscle or shoot my way out – always read the situation and act accordingly.

Reply

DevonJ April 20, 2015 at 02:33 pm

I would love to bring these instructors here to North St. Louis. That guy practicing strikes with a weapon in his hand couldn’t curl a Hi-Point

Reply

elephantrider April 22, 2015 at 05:05 am

I wrote this Funker Tactical Krav Maga stuff off as pure clown shoes when I saw the episode with their “black belt” testing in it. The guys they were testing seemed like they were maybe a little past beginner level martial artists (calling them that may be generous). It sounded like these test candidates had been training for a year maybe. In my experience, any black belt that means anything is the culmination of about 10 years of continual, nearly daily, dedicated training (read thousands upon thousands of hours, of practice, drilling, and sparring). And there is no test for a meaningful belt; the instructor has been watching and knows when the student has reached necessary the skill level to advance in belt rank. Ultimately the belts don’t matter, but I suspect they want to dangle an ego pumping carrot in front of their paying customers to keep them roped into their B.S. training.

Reply

John Fritz April 20, 2015 at 03:40 pm

I’m guessing Ray has thrown a punch or two in his time? About 0.5 seconds after he realizes his right arm w/ gun is getting grabbed I would expect him to start pumping his left arm and fist on the grabee’s temple.

This disarm stuff would work well with punk kids. Not street-wise twenty/thirty-somethings who’ve attended this rodeo before.

Reply

Cal S. April 20, 2015 at 04:23 pm

Disarms like this work against any untrained person. Heck, they even work against people who are trained in the techniques and EXPECTING the disarm and expected to resist for realism’s sake. Trust me, I’ve been there.

Reply

Yourmacroismymicro April 21, 2015 at 08:42 pm

I agree with you Mike. Real martial arts training has no pulled punches, movement speed is just slowed significantly to minimize injury.

Reply

1 With a Bullet April 22, 2015 at 08:02 pm

It seems the real problem with this technique is the part when you hand the gun back to the assailant…

Reply

Yallan April 23, 2015 at 01:06 am

I think turning around would work, (quite common sense really that) but not the hand lock then followed by the ‘devastating’ moves, also most criminals have accomplices. Really the only way I see you getting out of this is if you pull your own pistol or knife.

Problem with krav maga is i don’t see them training with a weapon. All seems unarmed.

Reply

LEAVE A COMMENT:

Previous post:

Next post: