Inside Larry Vuitton’s Tumble Brag AK-74

Nice looking rifle, but look at that tumble 0:28:

Larry-FieriYou guys commented on the bullet tumble in a previous video Larry Fieri put out, and frankly I figured once more people pointed that out the video would disappear and get re-edited and re-uploaded.  Well that didn’t happen and they obviously don’t care because they used the footage again in this video.  Could it be strictly a bullet issue?  Sure… but hardly a selling feature at first glance.

Man AKs have a lot of wobble.  There’s beauty in the wobble though amirite?  Thoughts?

On another note, I tagged Guy Fieri in the post picture, within about an hour it was removed from his “tagged photos” page.  Mission accomplished.  He saw it haha.

Dave May 17, 2015 at 07:44 am

I know certain rifle calibers can take up to 25 meters or more to stabilize after exiting the barrel. 5.45 and 5.56 are two of them.

jpcmt May 17, 2015 at 09:25 pm

This. It’s not keyholing or abnormal. These light weight bullets have this yaw effect that does straighten out. Forgot what its called but it’s not a freak occurrence and nothing’s wrong with that SLR or the ammo.

jpcmt May 17, 2015 at 09:28 pm
JoelC May 18, 2015 at 09:21 am

Yeah. I know about fleet yaw, and the uncertainty of stability up to 100 meters on these light-weight/high-velocity rounds, but I thought I saw the bullet actually flip end over end (which would be keyholing). I probably should watch it on something other than a phone screen before I comment…

JoelC May 17, 2015 at 07:50 am

I find it really impressive that that piston manages to find its way back in. I always figured it needed the tube in the upper handguard to guide the piston back into place.

I had one of these Bulgarian AK-74s, and while I never used it for anything other than plinking, I’m now wondering if it had bullet wobble or keyholing based off that slow-mo. I missed the comments in the first video but did anyone have a reason for that tumble?

Shrimp May 18, 2015 at 05:58 am

It does need the upper guide tube. At 1:45 it didn’t go back in. Smacked right into the gas port, real hard. Video edit cuts to a new angle, most likely because the next round didn’t fire due to being just out of battery.

Bliblo May 18, 2015 at 10:33 am

That made me flinch. That poor gas port.

PUNKMAFUKA May 17, 2015 at 10:43 am

I want to get a tattoo of that video.

Thatguy(notheotherguy) May 17, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Based on how much the muzzle device wobbles on the second AK I would guess the bullet struck the edge of the muzzle device causing it to yaw.

Smooth Operator May 17, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Guy Fieri is bent out of shape because LV turned off his blender and coffee maker.

yallan May 17, 2015 at 10:16 pm

There doesn’t appear to be any frame flex only barrel flex, which suggests it would benefit primarily from a more rigid barrel.

Jim Jones May 18, 2015 at 08:26 am

Not a lot of bowhunters around eh? It’s the same effect as when an arrow first leaves your bow. It’s easier to see the stabilization happen there. Super slow-mo makes it all possible here. And what beautiful slow-mo footage this clip is. I really enjoyed that, and I’m not even an AK guy.

Huch May 18, 2015 at 11:57 am

That recoil spring @1:15 looks like some dude with whisky dick finally winning the good fight.

Joey Jojo Jr. May 19, 2015 at 08:36 am

This comment FTW !

Laughed my ass off.

Joey Jojo Jr. May 19, 2015 at 08:35 am

Damn cool video.

Just an aside on the Larry/Fieri internet fanboy thing…

I have taken a class from LAV- putting all the internet marketing and “brand”-identity aside, he is a very competent and down-to-earth instructor, in person. I picked up some good insights on my techniques, as well as a few neat drills and visualizations, for me as an instructor.