No Serbu For You Soup Nazi T-Shirt Debacle

George-Costanza-SeinfeldI missed this whole “controversy”, but it’s pretty funny.

1:14 – “We are just going to shoot him”  LOL wtf?  That’s a gun guy joke?  I’ve never heard that before.  Did that guy seriously say that to a journalist and expect it not to be taken in any way other than incredibly negative?

JohnnyIShootStuff June 19, 2015 at 02:33 am

Serbu sells like 8 guns a year. The soup Nazi hasn’t worked in nearly 20 years. This is like a fight over who is the better 3rd string quarterback.

Tito June 19, 2015 at 04:48 am

Lol! Well said. “Gun guy joke”? What a tool…great publicity for the cause there, Serbu…

Tantal74 June 19, 2015 at 05:03 am

I’ve met Mr. Serbu, even got a tour of the place when they were still mainly building single shots and that fancy super shorty shotgun. Pretty awesome guy, but most certainly a poor choice of words. People not used to that sort of audience say some dumb stuff sometimes.

JoelC June 19, 2015 at 05:51 am

I’d not heard of Serbu. Now I have. I guess it helps get your name out.

With every news outlet out to take everything gun-makers say out of context, why would you make a ‘joke’ that isn’t even funny.

Yeah June 19, 2015 at 07:44 am

What the actual fuck does NYPD need a 50 for? They ask us why we would need a 50 cal, or semi auto as a way to shut us down on getting guns, but seriously, what anti-armor/anti-material operations is NYPD operating in?

KestrelBike June 19, 2015 at 10:36 am

devil’s advocate: Police allegedly stopped the “zombiemobile” van of the idiot in texas (who went up against a dallas PD station) with a .50 round to the engine block.

To the story in this thread: Ah, fuck ’em if they can’t take a joke (regardless of how funny it is or isn’t). That was not yelling fire in a movie theater. Nor did *anyone* take him seriously. They just climbed on the “omg gun guy joking about shooting people” bandwagon. Notice how they said ‘joking’ and not “threatened”. They know he was joking and not serious, yet they’re taking him to task over it because of their hand-wringing vagisil emotions. And gun-people who are climbing all over him are falling right into the media’s trap. They’re allowed to use whatever language they want, and we can’t make a light-hearted joke? Fuck that. Those are shitty rules. Well, I guess they’ve won because I never go around saying I’m going to shoot someone. I just say I’m going to stab them. Then it’s acceptable.

Disco June 19, 2015 at 11:48 am

I actually like it when these outfits get declined sales

J- June 19, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Parody and Satire have always been (somewhat) exempt in trademark law. The Soup Nazi can say whatever he likes, but this is most likely protected parody. Just another case of the Streisand Effect. Had he not said anything, Serbu would have sold a dozen shirts. He pitched a fit online and now Serbu is getting all kinds of publicity.

Levi B June 20, 2015 at 07:48 pm

Soup Nazi guy is doing a lot of advertising for Serbu over this.