The Big Bang Theory – Upside Down U.S. Flag

While watching the latest episode of my favorite show “The Big Bang Theory” (Season 3 Episode 6) on November 2nd I noticed the upside down flag.

According to U.S. Flag Code:

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Source:  USFlag.org – United States Flag Code

The flag would appear right side up from Sheldon’s perspective if the laptop screen were closed.  Interestingly enough the “Go Daddy” logo (pictured below) appears right side up from the current viewpoint when the laptop screen is open.

godaddy

I wonder, was this accidental or intentional?

Dave November 4, 2009 at 06:40 pm

The problem is, of course, that the flag is positioned correctly on the laptop when the cover is closed.

That’s the problem with non-symmetrical flags, I suppose…

harm December 4, 2009 at 12:52 pm

well if the stickers were side by side I’d be upset and could see some possibility of agenda. But you should see my laptop. I’ve got stickers all over that thing. No rhyme or reason. Makes me more inclined to think it’s just random placing.

Admin (Mike) December 5, 2009 at 01:06 pm

I agree, I just thought I would post about it because I am very picky when it comes to flag etiquette.

refresh the tree December 11, 2009 at 08:06 pm

I think it is an intentional placing of the flag. This show caters to geeks, like me (and apparently you guys, no offense), who pick up on strange little things like that. It has never appeared before, and I would say it is fully intentional though perhaps put on there by a stage hand or something. I doubt a writer had anything to do with it. It is very painfully true though whether intentional or not. The country is very much in peril, has been for decades. Eisenhower said we are being taken over by the military industrial complex, unfortunately we were taken over by the banks in late 1913. It is downhill from here, country in peril is an understatement.

Admin (Mike) December 11, 2009 at 08:50 pm

Interesting theory. I agree the country is in bad shape :(

Anonymous December 28, 2009 at 09:18 pm

I saw that too, but in a first season episode, I believe it was the third or 4th, being the unpatriotic anarchist I am, I was surprised and pleased.

Tony February 25, 2010 at 06:12 pm

How funny – I saw this the other night and mentioned to my wife that some spaz will see that and think it is intentional. I googled “upside down American flag” and voila . . .

In the old days of tech, logos on the tops of laptops were upside down when the lids were open. It took Apple to figure out the way to free advertising when a laptop is open. I don’t think it is intentional unless it’s a commentary on our shrking lead when it comes to science.

Admin (Mike) February 25, 2010 at 07:05 pm

Hehehe thanks for sharing how you got here Tony!

Sekoj August 7, 2010 at 07:42 am

The flag is intentional because the other guys laptop flag is the right way up.
Just so you all know. :)
It’s not a mistake, it’s intentional. :)

joesmoe September 22, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Sekoj is right the other laptop flag is the correct way. it was then stolen in an “inside job”. im glad im not the only nut who saw that : )

Mickey Sticks February 21, 2012 at 09:48 am

Hopefully intentional. Our gov’t is flushing this nation down the crapper.

Skillz aka LeRoy May 28, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I am watching this episode and noticed it too. I knew of the “signal of distress” when flying the flag upside down, so I got on Google to see if anyone else noticed. In that same scene, if you look at the other laptop, the flag is right side up.

Tina lynn December 24, 2013 at 06:52 pm

All the other guys have their flags right side up on their computers.

Von Glockenheim June 1, 2014 at 01:30 pm

anyone considered the possibility of all the american flags on their laptops originating from one and the same sticker sheet and it being a sloppy mistake sticking the flag upside down on the one laptop?.. I must admit it caught my eye too though

Lex Reno February 25, 2015 at 05:57 pm

It clearly was intentional, and implying that other industrialized countries are destroying us in education…especially in the sciences. I think it was patriotic, and in the spirit of the true intention of its use. It is a major problem for the future of the country.

Edward Culkin August 2, 2016 at 04:47 pm

I just saw the same thing. I think is unacceptable oversight. How old was just not caught during the editing process.