The Springfield Armory lawsuit waiting to happen

Browsing through the store section of the Springfield Armory website I can only surmise the paradigm of the designers when it came to XD and XD(M) accessories:

We only design stuff that either has a picatinny rail on it, or it attaches to a picatinny rail… NO EXCEPTIONS

Feast your eyes on this:

XDmagloader1

Your initial thought is probably “So what Mike? It’s a mag loader… I don’t get the big deal”

Well… the big deal is that on the left side of picture above that curved section is designed to mate to a picatinny rail.

“So what?! I still don’t get it” you say…  “I can attach it to my picatinny railed XD holster or my picatinny railed XD mag pouch or to my picatinny railed case the gun came with” (shown below)

XDholster

OR

XDMAGPOUCHOR

XDpicatinnyRailGunCase

Well your right.. you could do that.

But since your gun has one of these rails as well, you could also do THIS:

XDmagloaderonrail

Nothing quite like doing tactical reload with a loaded gun, and putting your entire hand right in front of the barrel.

HomerFacePalm

It’s not a question of if someone will actually do this and shoot themselves in the hand … It’s a question of WHEN is it going to happen?

RP-in-TX December 9, 2009 at 09:41 am

Yeah, some idiot is likely to do that at some point and may try to sue Springfield. But if it happens, Springfield should get a really aggressive lawyer and use the “he’s a moron” defense. Possibly even countersue. If more companies would take that approach to those kind of lawsuits instead of just settling to make it go away, a lot fewer of them would happen.

Admin (Mike) December 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I agree “He’s a moron” would be great to hear in court on something like this.

The whole fact the mag loader even attaches to a picatinny rail is stupid though. If it didn’t attach then the safety concern wouldn’t even be there in the first place.

How often on your other guns have you said “damn I wish my mag loader was able to attach to my holster, mag pouch, or carrying case … because they just are not bulky enough as is!” :) I guess it’s their way of trying to keep everything organized, but I really think its just tacticool useless overkill with all the rails.

Henry Bowman December 9, 2009 at 02:12 pm

But what happens when the injured party turns and uses the “he’s a moron” argument against the designer? :-)

Fred December 9, 2009 at 04:13 pm

As long as they clearly (most likely in BIG red letters) mention in the owners manual that you should not place your hand in front of the muzzle, they’d probably hold up pretty well in court.

Cymond December 26, 2009 at 05:26 pm

I have to point out that the mag loader is designed to slide on the magazine freely. The loader-to-mag fit is very loose. Just try this at home: put the mag loader on the front rail, put a mag in the loader, and point the muzzle down. The mag loader will not retain a magazine.

Admin (Mike) December 28, 2009 at 02:29 pm

Really? That’s kind of useless then as a mag holder. What happens when you’re running, moving around, and bending over? the mag just falls out onto the ground?

Tom March 3, 2016 at 07:13 am

It’s a mag loader not a mag holder/holster.

jake February 12, 2010 at 01:34 pm

wouldn’t/couldn’t that be considered a front hand grip? therefore the atf would go psycho on some one useing that.

Admin (Mike) February 13, 2010 at 02:06 pm

You’re probably right. If it was used as a vert grip then I’m sure they would treat it as such, no matter what the “original” designed use was.

jack the toad February 12, 2010 at 03:56 pm

It isn’t a mag holder. It is a mag LOADER.

Admin (Mike) February 13, 2010 at 02:08 pm

I know, but it does hold the magazine (albeit loose), and could easily be modified to hold it tight. I just hope no one is stupid enough to actually attempt to use the loader in that way.

Jason borne March 11, 2016 at 08:02 pm

I see that education is needed here. Pay attenion on you dubble mag holder is the placement for your loader. This is good at the range…