Glock 18 – Yes it’s affordable – No you can’t personally have one

The Glock Model 18 and 18C (compensated) offers a quality no other handgun in history can match: on demand, fully automatic capability.  Available only to qualified, reputable law enforcement / government agencies, both versions can fire either semi-automatically, or with the design specific selector switch set in the correct position.  Cycles at 1,200 rounds per minute.

As you can see the Glock 18 is $507 and the Glock 18C is $532

Source: http://www.ombguns.com/LE/catalog.aspx?id=5

I have heard so many rumors that G18s are 10s of thousands of dollars, but that’s just not true.  From what I understand, an individual can’t own one of these.  They are only available to Law Enforcement / Government / Military, or as samples to Class III dealers.  Quite the incentive to become a Class III dealer if you ask me. :P

It really doesn’t surprise me that the price is so low, considering there is very little difference between the Glock 18 and the Glock 17.

Although that side mounted selector switch on the Glock 18 is badass, I’d still settle for a Glock 17 with a drop in conversion.

A fun fact about the Glock 18, that some of you may not know…

When Saddam Hussein was captured by Delta Force soldiers in December of 2003 from a spider hole in Iraq, he had an unloaded Glock 18C on him.  Four Delta force soldiers later presented the pistol to President George Bush, and according to friends and long-time associates it because a favorite memento of his, and for nearly 5 years he kept the mounted glass-encased pistol in the Oval Office.   Before Mr. Bush left the White House in January, he made arrangements for the gun to be shipped to a national archives warehouse just 18 miles north of his new home in Dallas.  No official word on whether the gun will for sure be present in the presidential library, but according to Mr. Bush’s friends and associates he intends to display it there. ( Source )

I’m curious of a few things:

1. Did George Bush ever shoot Saddam’s G18?
  2. Was the gun framed in working condition, or is it deactivated?
  3. If the gun is not deactivated, were NFA rules suspended for the president?

TheGunny March 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Ugh.. I wan’t one of those so bad. I bet G.W. shot his. He seems to be interested in guns, and that is a pretty amazing one to have.

Avanasear April 24, 2011 at 09:22 am

George Bush not George Washington

Josh April 24, 2011 at 10:04 am

Do you think, and I’m going to go way out on a limb here (sarcasm), that he meant “G.W.” as in “George Walker” as in “former president George Walker Bush”?

mark April 24, 2012 at 08:17 pm

I think he meant Walker but change the L for an N to get his real name

your mother June 27, 2012 at 10:30 am

Change M to F, R to G and omit the K so you have your real name

ThatCheezeGuy October 5, 2012 at 09:28 pm

Stick to YouTube jackass. This is a firearm focused website, we didn’t all come here to listen to your retard theories on grammar.

FvckCheeseGuysMom October 25, 2014 at 03:46 pm

Stfu piece of shit. That had nothing to do with grammar, gun-maniac hick. Kill yourself asap. Redneck.

Bobby D February 15, 2012 at 02:17 pm

You are very very stupid.

adam July 25, 2012 at 01:45 pm

george puss the murderer

Rob August 16, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I’m sure that he did shoot it, he IS a Texan after all.

bbad October 15, 2012 at 01:14 pm

he is not really from texas even tho he wants to be looked at as a texan he is not

cuemaster September 16, 2014 at 11:04 am

he was banished to texas for doing barry seals coke.

Lukbuscus May 19, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Same here thegunny I would do most any thing for one.

Josh March 21, 2010 at 01:22 pm

I’m kind of curious about those same things. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Delta guys had deactivated themselves before bringing it home, or at least did so themselves before presenting it to President Bush. If that’s the case, that would clear up the first three questions. As for ownership of it, I imagine that it was kept by the team that captured him. It’s not uncommon to find a captured and deactivated AK in company headquarters of units that have been overseas. It sounds like the team that had ownership of it voted to present it to the president. It was presented to President Bush, not “The Office of the President of the United States,” or something to that effect, so it would have been his personally (I would suspect). In giving it to the presidential library, it becomes the property of the American people though.

Solomon March 21, 2010 at 03:48 pm

Kinda funny that an ordinary grunt with the 4th ID or was it the 101st actually caught him in the spyder hole and the Delta guys present the pistol.

Amazing.

Admin (Mike) March 22, 2010 at 01:26 pm

I was not aware of that. I wonder why the Delta guys got the credit? Politics?

vwiggl3s January 4, 2013 at 05:47 pm

lol soloman. your miss guided yes it was 4id but they only pulled cordon while sf went in and cleared it. i know this because i am a 4id soldier in the unit the pulled the cordon.

s February 7, 2013 at 11:03 pm

asscrack

Jim Weiss October 10, 2014 at 10:26 am

If you ask somebody who was there they will fill you in that it was Delta, and like always, they passed him off to the AB grunts for the pictures. Delta is never there, wherever it is they are. Ask the Seal Team 6 guys.

Linoge March 21, 2010 at 06:33 pm

Blech. It causes me no end of annoyance when the prices of NFA-regulated firearms to “qualified” entities gets publicized… The fact that I could procure a fully-automatic version of a number of firearms for a Big-Mac-more than the currently-available firearm, assuming the NFA was repealed… yeah, that just grates on my happy little nerves.

Of course, then all the people who bought fully-automatics would see their “investments” evaporate, so we all know the NFA is pretty much here to stay.

As for Saddam’s piece, if it is demil’d, I certainly do not care. Otherwise, the NFA is the law of the land, now, and unless President Bush is a Class III dealer, he can visit it as often as he likes, as far as I am concerned.

Admin (Mike) March 22, 2010 at 01:29 pm

Yea pretty irritating that we can’t have one :(

If the NFA ever was squashed I really don’t think they would care about people’s “investments” in guns. Look at what the government did to the housing and the stock markets.

Dale September 1, 2012 at 10:56 am

Did everyone miss the government/military part and jump right to him having to be a dealer? This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. Not only was he DEFINITELY government, you know, being President of the United States and all, but the also made him the highest ranking member of the military, the Commander-in-Chief.

Josh September 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

…also made him the highest ranking member of the military, the Commander-in-Chief.

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is, by law, the highest ranking member of the armed forces. The President is a civilian, not a member of the military. The office of the President is a civil office, not a military one; this is spelled out in the Constitution and, because of that, makes it clear that the United States will maintain “civil power over the military.”

Ergo, the President cannot be the highest ranking member of the military.

Civics lesson complete.

Brad February 25, 2014 at 05:24 pm

Not true.

According to Article II, Section 2, Clause I of the Constitution, the President of the United States is Commander-in-chief of the United States Armed Forces.

Further,
“The Goldwater-Nichols Act in 1986 codified the default operational chain of command: running from the President to the Secretary of Defense, and from the Secretary of Defense to the combatant commander. While the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff outranks all other military officers, he does not have operational command authority over the Armed Forces”. -Title 10 of the United States Code

Thus endeth the lesson.

Aaron September 28, 2014 at 06:21 pm

Brad, while POTUS is the C in C of the US military. The Office of the President of the US is NOT a military rank it is a “Title”, there for he/she does not wear a military uniform. Much like the PM of the UK, Israel, Canada do not as well and so on. In regard to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the highest rank at the present is 4 stars, the 5th star has not be awarded by Congress since Omar Bradley, there for until the congress decides to give the Chairman the 5 Star Rank he/she will just have to settle for the title and not the rank. To the best of my knowledge a four, five or six star admiral or general are still out ranked but a higher “Civilian (aka POTUS)” Authority. The CJC is highest ranking uniformed commissioned officer in the US Armed Forces, again this is a title and NOT a rank, you are correct.

There have been two 6 Star Ranks awarded, George Washington and Adm. Dewey.

The Sec. of Defense does report to POTUS, there for he/she IS subordinate to POTUS.

p1choco March 21, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Trophy weapons are supposed to be demilitarized when they end up stateside. I’m not sure how the army does things but they may have made an exception for honorable Mr. Bush, but I doubt it is still operable. Who knows.

Spade March 22, 2010 at 09:28 am

“Is the gun actually the property of George Bush, or is it the property of the U.S. Government?”

USG, probably. See here: http://www.usoge.gov/common_ethics_issues/gifts_bet_employees.aspx
It might fall under “events of personal significance” which I don’t think is subject to the $10 limit.

Similar stuff often happens to officer’s overseas, as they might get a really nice gift from another official (we often have to give crap because of The Rules). That item becomes the property of ‘the office’ and not the individual. There’s all sorts of rules.

Josh March 22, 2010 at 09:54 am

Interesting link. It looks like that pertains only to gifts between employees of the executive branch, and seems to be meant to prevent gift giving to induce favoritism in assignments or promotions. And those bullet points specifically say they apply to gifts to a supervisor. I suppose it could also be argued that, even under the rules you linked to, the gift to President Bush would qualify as one detailed in the last paragraph – an infrequent gift presented by a group to an official superior. There would be even less basis for calling it improper since the gift was not purchased, and required no one to part with any money.

I based my previous comment on the subject on accounts I had read about items that other presidents had been given (mostly by foreign officials) that they had donated to their personal libraries. It seems that presidents have been given expensive (more so than this Glock’s actual value I’m sure) gifts in the past that are theirs to keep personally.

DocN March 23, 2010 at 03:08 am

Actually, it’s rare for a President or other high official to be able to keep gifts. There was a news article just a few months ago about this exact subject, but I’m having trouble coming up with the link.

Bottom line, there’s a warehouse out there that’s basically just for storing gifts to officials. Mont Blanc pens are a common gift, but because of the rules, a congressman- for example- can’t keep it, even to use it in his office. neither can he sell it (or auction it, donate it, etc.) so basically it sits in the warehouse.

Some Saudi gave Condoleeza Rice a necklace worth about fifty grand. Same game- she can’t keep it unless she pays the Government it’s value, she can’t sell it or give it away, so it just sits in the warehouse.

Now, this gun is probably somewhat different- a trophy more than a gift, but I suspect similar rules apply. Even DEWAT’ed, I doubt Bush could take it home, unless he essentially buys it.

And as for the deactivation, if it’s going up for public display, it’ll almost certainly be disabled, most likely by removing any FA-specific internals, plus, in the case of a Glock, probably the striker as well. Supposedly Dillinger’s display guns are deactivated, though I suspect just by having removed the firing pins.

Doc.

JKB March 22, 2010 at 11:27 am

Any gift given to an official of the United States is the property of the United States. Anything captured by US Armed Forces is the property of the United States unless returned to its rightful owner. Yes, individual soldiers have kept battlefield souvenirs but that can bring charges if the army cares to pursue it. The Delta Force soldiers transferred the Glock which was in US Army custody to the Office of the President of the United States. It had most likely already been recorded by the US Archives.

Upon leaving office, George Bush was able to have the firearm transferred to an Archives facility. I presume the one near his now home was designated as the storage location for items that will be loaned to President Bush’s library. It most likely contains along with official papers, significant state gifts and other memorabilia.

Brad February 25, 2014 at 05:28 pm

Or he can simply pay the value to the USG. If it’s been deactivated (as I’m sure it is), then what is the real value of the gun as a weapon? Probably close to zero. But how do you establish the value as a symbol of victory over Saddam…?

Bryan S March 23, 2010 at 08:26 am

Yep, we cant have one, and nor could we make one here in the US, thanks to Pres. Ronald Reagan and his signing of the 86 ban.

Toby Patterson July 1, 2010 at 04:28 pm

I was just in Fayetteville,NC for the SFA Convention 2010 Last month and perchase the 9mm Glock, I,m hoping that it will be delivered to thje Gun Doctor in Roselle, IL. Please let me know when the weapen has been sent.

benicio December 3, 2011 at 12:32 am

ok not to stir stuff or whatever but…………are you…like “all there”?

ENDO-Mike December 3, 2011 at 12:33 am

I see these messages coming through.. get a new hobby benicio

benicio December 3, 2011 at 06:06 pm

roger that

@@PATRICKS-GHOST!! January 19, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I used to be a COWBOY! George Bush dreams this everynight! In any event, if he were running for President again today – I would vote for him. Back in the day I owned a S&W Model 76 Smith and Wesson SMG with a Dater SG-9 “Can” and all the parts you could want. I also owned a Colt Green Stock Model 601 with a serial # between the one in Springfield NHS and the one at the Smithsonian. Both of these class three items were C&R. I sold them about 10 years ago. Today I would give my left nut to have them back. However, nuts are almost as hard to come by as legal SMG’s! These days I am lucky to go shooting with a friend who has an old bolt gun or black powder gun. Things change and so must we! Rock and Roll Mr. President! We will never see as good a man again in the White House my lifetime!

Aaron September 28, 2014 at 06:31 pm

Patrick :

GWH Bush is TOO old and GW has served two terms and the country is thankful for both !

Toby Patterson January 22, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Last year at the Specaial Forces Association, Convention, I got the Glock 9mm 19. I’m very happy with this weapen. I also own a 38 weapen that I can’t say that is as on point as the Glock 19. One of my comrades from the SFA chapter told me he was told and read that the springs were being replace on Glock 19 because it was becoming weak after many uses on the range. Is this ture or not?

JDS September 6, 2011 at 03:04 pm

If your Glock is a Gen4 (it should say so on the barrel) then yes Glock is replacing the recoil springs for free. Check their website.

If it is a Gen 3 then you should replace the recoil spring every 3500-5000 rounds.

benicio December 3, 2011 at 12:28 am

no it says it on the slide

benicio December 3, 2011 at 12:29 am

ok not to stir stuff or whatever but…………are you…like “all there”?

benicio December 3, 2011 at 12:33 am

idk why that 2nd comment posted here. my b

Ryan brazil February 1, 2011 at 10:07 pm

@admin mike. The delta guys were there they gave the credit to the 4th Id and 101st airborne, remember even tho delta is common knowledge it is not officially recognized by the united states government. I deployed with a guy who was part of the perimeter security on that operation.

Calis April 3, 2011 at 01:10 am

If themoron George Bush would have shot that gun he’d have swhot himself in the foot, or worse. And i can’t believe anybody believes that BS story about Saddam and the spider hole.

Capt.WC shaw September 21, 2012 at 11:51 pm

GW was a fine president and commander in chief. I would vote for him again in a heart beat. Much better than this monkey Obama.

Robie September 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Sounds like you have tiny genitals

DAniel April 8, 2011 at 11:32 pm

The gun is property of the US Gov, to a degree. US laws doesnt allow presidents to keep gifts over $20. What will happen, is the weapon will be put into storage, and probably put on display at the Bush Presidential Library.

Heath May 20, 2011 at 09:03 pm

You people “REALLY BELIEVE” George Bush or any other president follows or are upheld to public laws concerning stuff like firearms?!? You damn right he took it home, FA and all. I also bet Condolezza has that necklace on her dresser as well. There’s no way in hell Bush would give up a trophy like that. Especially coming from the guy who tried to kill his “DADDY”!!

D L Shay January 22, 2012 at 02:42 am

Wonder how many ATF gave to Mexico??

full auto May 21, 2012 at 05:33 pm

The fact that you reta

full auto May 21, 2012 at 05:36 pm

Stupid people dont even talk about the glock 18 and how it’s rare

Sgt Rock June 16, 2012 at 04:22 pm

Ownership: The pistol was probably packed out on a C5A by Army special operators, once in the WH, it was surrounded by SS. It was lawfully shipped and is now in federal custody. I expect that Dubya has enough pull to have it delivered to his library. He might have enough pull to have it delivered to his house, but that would be a silly thing to do.

Full auto pistols: 2nd Amdmt protects weapons that can be borne, i.e. small arms, not crew served weapons. I am personally fine with people owning full auto small arms, like automatic rifles or pistols, but they are kind of in the same grey area where I put hand grenades: they can be borne, but come on.

dp31 June 27, 2012 at 07:56 am

Just buy airsoft gun , it’s cheaper and easier that way

... October 20, 2012 at 07:26 pm

OR – possible alternative – grow a pair and buy a real firearm, that has some practical use, rather than a toy.

paul kimble June 27, 2012 at 09:03 am

actually guys once a mg always a mg per atf. the frame would have to be destroyed and it looks in pretty good shape to me.

Anonymous Coward August 11, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I want one. If only they let people register NFA weapons again, I’d go and buy one. 18C version, of course. Unless they made a version of the 20 that was full auto.

EscobarGuns October 18, 2012 at 12:58 am

You guys are forgetting the war trophy laws. The language has been changed but it still exists. Just think of ole’ Grandpa bringing home that Jap sword or Nazi piss-pot helmet. You DO have to have some pull to bring a war trophy home nowadays, but it still happens. As for the gun being deactivated, hell yeah it was, are you kidding me?

Oh yeah, btw. I’m an old Jumpin’ Junkie (only the right guys here will know what that is)- let me tell you, I would bleed on our flag if it meant keeping the stripes red, but G.W. Bush is nothing but a traitor and murderer. He, and his entire cabinet should be tried and hung. We are close to 5,000 deaths because of him. In my day, nothing like this would have happened. Commanders in Chief were real men, not war mongering cowards.

... October 20, 2012 at 07:30 pm

Definitely agree with you about G.W., he was a dodge-drafting dud. McCain, on the other hand, seems like a good guy. Served in the Navy Fought in Vietnam, became a POW and got waterboarded and tortured in Hanoi Hilton. Too bad Sarah Failin’ was his running mate, that woman’s a psycho.

And then there’s Obama, the worst thing to happen to this country since 9/11.

Gun October 21, 2012 at 03:27 am

Obama is worse then 911 at last that didn’t destroy America .. Romney 2012

Laramy November 19, 2012 at 02:28 pm

My guess is that W requested an Historic Artifact NFA exemption from his Treasury Secretary, and was granted one immediately by BATFE.

sgt.bushmonkey November 26, 2012 at 09:24 am

Less. Bush was great.. I would vote him in now if I could.. The
White house is in shambles. Our govt. isn’t a govt. Anymore.It’s
more like a chicken and watermelon stand. Monkeys can’t run a
effective govt. What was done to our country is a damn shame.
As for the glock its in the army base in Texas..Saddoms gold guns
And all the cash and gold also. I got pics of all the trophies..enough said.

Brian December 3, 2012 at 08:10 pm

Delta force did not find Saddam, an e-4 from 4th ID that was on patrol at a farm house is the one that kicked the plywood covering the hole he was hiding in.

Newbèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèè December 20, 2012 at 02:19 am

couldn´t you modefy a glock 17 so the magazine of a 18 would fit? probably a stupid question but i have no clue of guns, it just appeared logic to me as they are allmost the same…

ENDO-Mike December 20, 2012 at 02:21 am

The extended magazine doesn’t make the gun fire in automatic… you need to either swap out internal components in a G17 for that or buy a G18.

ENDO-Mike December 20, 2012 at 02:22 am

And to answer your question, the extended magazine already fits the G17, G19, and G26 (all the 9mm Glock models) and works perfectly in them without modification.

Rathe February 13, 2013 at 08:22 pm

You can actually own one of these. http://www.nfasales.com/nfaownership.htm

All you need to do it meet your States requirements and fill out an BATF Form 4 and pay the transfer tax ($200).

I suggest an NFA trust. It’s transferable upon death, it’s a one time thing, and it’s easy to add people to the trust when you want someone else to have “ownership” (such as your wife or a child). Generally costs about $150-$200 from a lawyer that has done them before.

Cheers.

TxGunner April 3, 2013 at 06:41 am

This pistol will be displayed in the G.W.Bush Presidential Library and Museum (at SMU in Dallas opening in May) , Case 4.7 in the “Freedom Wall” exhibit. I am advised it was not “de-milled” as it never left government custody (U.S. Army/SF-White House-National Archives and Records Admin) It appears to be a generation 2 version. The gun is the property of the U.S. government per the constitution and several later laws. I will ask if it was shot after capture but I doubt it was ever out of the frame. (yes, I know some of the folks involved)

Mendoza April 6, 2013 at 04:02 am

LOL yes I can have one. I just can’t have one in the US.

Pacman July 7, 2013 at 09:59 am

There was a number if glock 18’s made before the law was passed that company’s can not make machine guns for citizen purchase. If you can find a pre law glock 18 you can legally own one , but those guns are the ones that go for tens of thousands because you can’t really find the legal ones cause the lucky owners hang on to their glock 18.

Jason L August 3, 2013 at 09:14 pm

I know this is a old-ass post, but this is incorrect. GCA ’68 banned import of machine guns except dealer samples.

officer hanser November 2, 2013 at 06:56 pm

Lol yes you can have and own a Glock 18c for who ever said that you cant own one but you need a class 3 gun permit to legally own it i think i should know this by now iv’e been a police officer for 7 years and i have owned my Glock 18c for about 2 years now… and for the people wondering what location i’m in or what state or country i’m from Murfreesboro TN

Pacman November 6, 2013 at 09:44 am

No Jason l I am correct I’m not talking about the 68 law I’m talking about the 1986 law that says new machine guns can not be manufactured for civilian use . Now there are some glock 18’s out there that were made before this year, those are the ones that go for the big dollars because all you have to have is a class 3 permit and it’s yours but as In buying a new glock 18 you have to have your own military or police dept to have one and that’s basically impossible to call your own. I’ve shot one glock 18 pre 1986 law and they are I blast if you have one don’t let go of it

Put name here. November 29, 2013 at 05:33 pm

You can obtain a flock 18 but, it means going through the government and not having anything on your permanent record, getting traing, and paying lots of money to get and keep the license that let’s you own it. Getting a Glock 18 is possible.

JTM, LTC USA Ret July 21, 2014 at 07:49 pm

I had the honor to be in the first group of docents (all volunteer) to be trained for the G.W.Bush Presidential Library. Being a “gun guy” with access to the museum staff (they are all U.S. Government employees btw, part of the National Archives & Records Administration, NARDA) I had several conversations with them regarding the Glock 18, some of which caused additional research on their part to come up with the answers which align with your questions:
1. Did George Bush ever shoot Saddam’s G18? Nope, it was presented by the team sealed in the frame, which has been further reinforced in a Plexiglas case. Never out of the case.
2. Was the gun framed in working condition, or is it deactivated? It is fully functional – all the parts are there in the right places if you look at the x-rays.
3. If the gun is not deactivated, were NFA rules suspended for the president? They do not apply. As some others have correctly stated, the gift becomes the property of the U.S. Government, which of course can own all the automatic weapons it wants. It dose become a security issue for the archivists.
4. Is the gun actually the property of George Bush, or is it the property of the U.S. Government? See above.

More than you want to know:
It is in fact on display with other military artifacts in the case just outside the full sized oval office
As it was presented in the frame the whole thing becomes and “historical artifact” and it can’t be altered and must be protected.
He kept the gun in the working office (sometimes referred to as a “study”) just outside the Oval Office and liked showing it to visitors who might appreciate seeing it.
It is unloaded. Confirming that fact was the reason for the x-ray.
The serial number shown it was produced during the “arms embargo”. To my knowledge no one has traced the gun to whatever international dealer cut that deal. (don’t hold your breath for arrests or fines)
There are other guns presented to President Bush in storage at the museum. They may be displayed some day as part of the rotating items.

ENDO-Mike July 25, 2014 at 09:59 pm

Wow that’s awesome, thanks for stopping by with the info!

Aaron October 26, 2014 at 09:47 pm

JTM :

Unless Bush has a FFL, I seriously doubt that the USSS will allow him to own a full auto weapon. NO ONE not even GW Bush is above the law, of course he would like to think he is (Did I say that ?).

Aaron October 26, 2014 at 09:40 pm

To all those who may want a Glock 18 or 18c. Good luck purchasing one without a Federal Firearms License (FFL). IF it was manufactured post 1986 good luck getting one period under ANY circumstances other than Law Enforcement or Military Applications. OH, that was Ronald Reagan’s doing NOT OBama’s so please no politics !

DocRecon69 December 6, 2014 at 09:46 am

FYI, I HAVE A Fed License…had to before my dad died, due to the collection he left me after 30 years in the Corps & several combat, MEU, & Embassy postings. Most of his… now my…collection is unobtainable to just about anyone…I also had to become a class 2 & class 3 dealer with class 7 & 10 permits because I now own a USAS-12, several full-auto SMGs (some with suppressors), a Barrett 82A1, a Sturmgewehr 44, and a very close copy of my old DMR from my days in service. It costs $200 in Federal Tax to own each class 2-3 weapon, plus the $ for the shitload of permits/licenses, but like all Marines my dad had an affinity for firearms…especially commie weapons that had been fired at him & had been earned as trophies…. he was a retired Master Gunny with 3 tours in Nam… I did mine in the sandbox in 90-91. Anyway, just being a cop isn’t enough to own certain classes of weapons. And, when military troops aren’t in a combat zone, their automatic & DD weapons are locked in armories.

Aaron October 26, 2014 at 09:58 pm

officer hanser :

For some reason I believe you were able to purchase the 18c was due to your being a Police Officer, more than holding your FFL. As you know sir, it is illegal to own a fully automatic firearm that was manufactured post 1986.

DocRecon69 December 6, 2014 at 09:16 am

Oh yeah… When I was a FR SARC, we got to carry almost whichever weapon system we wanted, but that was back in the late 80s & early 90s…when Force Recon was spec-ops “capable”, and still under the orders of nobody but the Commandant…so I carried a Colt Delta Elite II. Had we had the option of the G18, it would have been a different story. Most of us carried .40-cal/10mm or .45-acp because they have more stopping power than a 9mm. But, a sidearm that is capable of full-auto would have to at least been tried out. Still could only fire short bursts, but a 3-5 burst with only one pull could come in handy. Hell, I coulda just thrown it on via quick-draw shoulder rig & had a nice backup to my DMR & 10mm semi… Damn, I’d love to fire one just to see if it’s got Glock quality, or if the full-auto selector is just a novelty that causes the user to kill nothing but clouds.