Upgrade Your Air Rifle Pellets

By gluing on magnum rifle primers!

Pretty awesome upgrade for the low price of primers, if all you have for a gun is an air rifle.

I wonder if you need to shoot at a hard surface to set it off, or if small varmints would cause the primer to ignite as well? :grin:  I know some primers are pretty sensitive.

I wish I would have known about this upgrade as a kid back in my daisy air rifle days.

A YouTube demonstration:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_46IC_1sEE[/youtube]

The pellet used in the video is a .22 pellet, with the open end of the primer facing forward.

I don’t know if “regular” .177 caliber pellets would work as well. The small rifle magnum primers may be too big. I don’t reload, but I’m sure smaller primers are available if needed.

Dom April 13, 2010 at 06:14 am

Actually I believe Large Rifle and Small Rifle primers will fit .22 and .177 caliber, respectively:

This is pretty cool. Dunno if I’d use this on a critter but definitely a much cooler show downrange!

Admin (Mike) April 13, 2010 at 11:16 am

Good info, thanks Dom!

CinSC April 13, 2010 at 06:39 am

Pretty cool. I wonder if they need a hard surface to ignite.

Admin (Mike) April 13, 2010 at 11:17 am

yeah I don’t know. I’ve heard from people that reload that some primes are pretty sensitive.

Dude April 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Today, HE pellets. Tomorrow, depleted uranium discarding sabot pellets!

Hawk April 13, 2010 at 06:03 pm

I got some incindiary pellets, wanna trade?

Admin (Mike) April 14, 2010 at 05:56 pm

hehe nothing like trying to penetrate armor at under 1000fps :P

Moi April 14, 2010 at 12:10 am

As far as the surface, it looks like one shot is against Orient Strand Board, and another is against Particle board or Plywood. So doesn’t need to be metal or concrete. Now animals? Who knows.

NMM1AFan April 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Waste of good primers, that…

Admin (Mike) April 14, 2010 at 05:55 pm

Well if all you have at your disposal is an air gun, primers aren’t much good for anything else. :P

Vote For David April 14, 2010 at 11:18 pm

When I was a boy, I told my dad he was wasting BBs shooting them 3 and 5 at a time. He said it ain’t wasted if you’re having fun.

Bob Rich April 17, 2010 at 09:14 am

I don’t think there’s any way a primer will go off hitting anything but a solid object. If they could, they’d be blowing up on my reloading bench. They require a solid hit.

Devin November 12, 2016 at 05:34 am

It depends on the primer some can be stable and have to hit a hard surface some can be a bit reactive and work on a soft surface

John Macdonald January 10, 2011 at 01:41 pm

I found your story of attaching primers to air gun pellets very interesting. I measured some small primers at .173, so yes, they should fit nicely on the pellet. I am curious as to which adhesive you might have used to attach these primers. I also wonder why the hollow end was placed outward. I would have thought they should be placed the other way, but that is just a guess. Either way, your blog is very interesting, so thank you for posting it.

rtghteg tehreth April 21, 2012 at 03:09 pm

A friend of mine use to tell me about exploding arrows that he would make. Same concept as here he used some kind of arrow for his compound bow called I think line walkers. I dont think there is anything special about them other then they are a little thicker, someone correct me if I’m wrong. Anyway he said he would take the tip off fill the shaft of the arrow which if I remember was made out of wood or aluminum, reinsert the tip, hot glue a bb on the tip and a primer on to the bb facing forward . he said when it stuck the target it all would explode. Now anyone who know about those thins please jump in and feel free to correct me, this info is years and years old… so I may have something wrong, but I believe this is what I remember him telling me….interesting though.

rtghteg tehreth April 21, 2012 at 03:11 pm

Correction…he would fill the shaft of the arrow with gun powder or flash powder…
I dont know the first thing about reloading or bow and arrows so take what I say for what its worth.