NYT On The Times Square Bomb Plot Suspect’s Gun

It is fearsome looking, a carbine hybrid of a pistol and a long gun with a mouthful of a name: the Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000. Mr. Shahzad bought it, new, in March for about $400. It was found in the Isuzu Trooper that he drove to Kennedy International Airport on Monday, loaded, with multiple extra clips.

Full Story – HERE

Extra clips?  Did he also own an SKS or something? :P

Pretty funny how the entire article demonizes the Kel-Tec Sub-2000. I have come to expect more quality from the NY Times;  most of their articles mentioning guns have been fair and informative lately.

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 website – HERE

SPC Fish May 6, 2010 at 12:54 am

maybe theyll get banned and ill be able to sell mine for a lot more than 400 bucks

Admin (Mike) May 6, 2010 at 11:40 pm

:( bans.

Jeff May 6, 2010 at 01:37 am

Dammit, I wanted to get a SU-16 sometime in the future, but hopefully, it wont get banned. I will laugh in frustration if someone on capitol hill examines the SU-16 or SUB-2000, folds it and says “I dont know what the hell it just did but its scary! we need to ban this gun!”

Admin (Mike) May 6, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Oh no, it has “the shoulder thing that goes up”… we’re screwed!

Jesse May 6, 2010 at 06:44 am

I was telling my friend from Jersey that this was a great weapon for her for home defense.

Trent May 6, 2010 at 07:54 am

TERRORIST!

Josh May 6, 2010 at 08:51 am

The first time I ever saw one of these it was on someone’s blog, and I remember thinking that it really looked like some cheap, chintzy thing that you would expect to be taken off a 17 year-old gang member in some inner-city slum.

Dan May 6, 2010 at 10:24 am

Agreed. On a side note, I can’t wait for their 22WMR pistol to be released!

Admin (Mike) May 6, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Yea they definitely aren’t stylish or ergonomic looking. I hear they work well though.

Ohio Sean May 6, 2010 at 09:20 am

They are fun to shoot, a friend of mine, who happens to be the lead teacher at a local police academy, owns one and uses it with 30 round Glock mags. We’ve taken it out to the quarry the academy uses as a gun range and had a grand old time with it. After about 100 rounds its too hot to hold, but its a fun lil gun for plinking, nonetheless. I would never consider most kel-tecs as “fearsome” looking, most of them look and feel cheap. They are good quality though and made in the USA.

Admin (Mike) May 6, 2010 at 11:42 pm

heh yea that was my first thought too… If a Kel-Tec is “fearsome” then what is an AR-15 or an ACR considered?

Bryan S May 6, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I didnt know i could get clips for one too! Might be hard to load the rifle with them, with no top access to the chamber.

I have one of these in .40, and love it. its a great carbine for the money, fairly accurate for home defense with the stock irons, but the stock is lacking when it comes to the .40 version and recoil, you want a buffer because it gets hard to hold in a correct manner, and the incorrect manner hits your shoulder in just the wrong way.

Anyhow, so this guy has one… are they going to pass some law that says we cant have an inexpensive rifle now? they took away all the small gun imports, they go after companies that make inexpensive handguns. Just you wait… this new folding “assault rifle” will be on people’s radar for “doing something” about guns.

Admin (Mike) May 6, 2010 at 11:43 pm

hehe clips.

Yea that stock does look kind of thin and uncomfortable. That would suck if they were on the radar for the next “ban” :(

moi May 6, 2010 at 01:27 pm

WOW…Double WOW……I have always been aware of the media’s penchant for hysterics, exaggeration etc. But this article takes the cake. Out of the blue they throw the Mumbai Attack in there, They equate the firearm to the bomb, plus all kinds of misinformation about the firearm, caliber and its capabilities. Geez they make this thing sound like a howitzer.

Un-friggin believable. Sad part about this, is that a lot of the public will believe it.

Admin (Mike) May 6, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Geez they make this thing sound like a howitzer.

LOL no kidding!

Antibubba May 6, 2010 at 09:54 pm

I only WISH I could buy one new for $400! California inflation…

SPC Fish May 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm

id sell you one for 350. if you werent in a communist country

Travis May 7, 2010 at 09:18 am

Am I the only one who laughs whenever I read about the evil Tec-9? just a joke. I been eying one of those little Kel-Tec 2k carbines for a while. All the more reason now! I guess they bombed physics class where a 115 grain 9mm at 1100fps does NOT have more energy than a 55grain 5.56 at 3000 fps.

There is only one piece of sanity in the whole article:
“Unlike those of some rifles, its bullets probably would not penetrate a police officer’s bullet-resistant vest, a law enforcement official said. ”

I hope the guys at Kel-Tec frame this article on their wall.

Josh May 7, 2010 at 09:45 am

I just now read the article. Aside from the mention of the unrelated Mumbai attacks, I thought the article was pretty fair. I didn’t see anything technically inaccurate in the way that the described the gun. I don’t see where they say anything that would even imply that it has more energy than a 5.56 bullet. I didn’t read anything that would make me question their understanding of physics.

I guess I have a correction. They did use the word “clip” in the early part of the story (and magazine later on). A word means whatever people know it to mean though, and, although technically incorrect, when they use the word “clip,” everyone knows what they’re talking about. I’m not sure you could say the same about using the word “magazine.”

Admin (Mike) May 8, 2010 at 12:05 am

I agree that it’s not terribly inaccurate, but it’s just such an obvious “scare” piece, which I think makes in unfair.

Admin (Mike) May 8, 2010 at 12:00 am

hehe yea the Tec-9 will always be mentioned any time criminals are talked about until eternity.