Quad Stack AK Magazine By Izhmash On GunBroker

I first blogged about the quad stack AK magazines (and other unique AK magazines) in THIS post.

Looks like a Quad Stack 60 round AK-74 magazine was up for sale on Gunbroker – http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=162814104

3 people bid it up to $900, but that was not enough to meet the reserve! It has not been re-listed since.

The company who originally makes (made?) this magazine is Izhmash. I know nothing about them, but in the Gunbroker auction, the seller says the following:

Mega rare collectible item, original Izhmash 60 round capacity magazine for AK-74.

I find it hard to believe something that was injection molded is “mega rare” and “collectible” unless it doesn’t work worth a shit and they decided to stop selling it.

Alejandro June 11, 2010 at 04:45 pm

Izh is the state owned russian company that makes the kalashnikov rifles, it’s not a crap mag, it’s a prototype from an early run that somehow managed to make it state-side.

Or at least that’s what I knew before it surfaced on the blogs

cheekyquim June 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm
j March 13, 2011 at 07:34 pm

its not because its a bad idea the magazine is not sold here in the states. its because of a federal ban on importation of firearms, parts and accessories directly from Russia. they have to dwell in other countries long prior to even being shipped to the states for consumption. some time ago, Russia ticked off the state department for selling arms to enemies of the US. so all the kits and parts we see now are all there are going to be until the ban is lifted, or some of these mags make their way through the long process of dwelling in other countries. of course other companies besides Izhmash are applying for patents to duplicate the design, but im sure they are caught up in legal quagmire over infringing the original Izhmash patent. until they jump this hurdle or come up with a different enough design, we may never see these mags appear in the market from a US manufacturer or otherwise.

Pat H. June 11, 2010 at 05:21 pm

Yeah, I’d love to have that kind of weight added to the already overweight AK rifle.

I think I’ll pass.

Mike June 13, 2010 at 02:26 am

The 1970’s called and they want you to reconsider. That magazine is for 5.45×39. It goes into an AK74, or any of the variants thereof. An AK74 with a 30 round magazine weighs 6.7 pounds with a wooden stock (not even considering the polyamide ones and other later polymer furniture used. A fully loaded M4 weighs 6.9 pounds.

Steven S. June 11, 2010 at 08:27 pm

Isn’t magpul supposedly making a quad stacked mag?

Admin (Mike) June 11, 2010 at 08:35 pm

They submitted a patent application for one. I figured I’d cover it once it became a reality.

Montross June 11, 2010 at 09:27 pm

Not sure, but weren’t the quad stacks introduced along with the spiffy 2-round nigh-recoilless bursts AN-94’s so they could still have 30 shots?

Jeff June 13, 2010 at 03:20 am

Nah, the AN-94 only has its initial 2 shots with minimal recoil, afterwards, it fires as a normal gun…. although it makes me wonder, where has it been, I barely hear about it

C.J. October 26, 2011 at 01:48 pm

the russian government did not have the funds to make it general issue why bother with it when they have an estimated 10million AK74s on hand. It is also alot more complicated and not as reliable as the ak I have seen pictures of the thing stripped down and all of the trouble for a hokey two round superburst feature It just doesnt seem worth it to me

moi June 13, 2010 at 12:57 am

Yea I dont quite get this, unless your running a full auto gun. I mean, I for the most part run 20 rounds Hungarian magazines, first they dont take as long to load and second, my arms get tired even firing just 20 rounds. 60 rounds? Be some bench resting in there some where!

Alejandro June 15, 2010 at 12:02 am

Or just get a damned speedloader…

In all seriousness, if you don’t know about speedloaders, you should get out and shoot more, buy 2 30 round mags and a speedloader and come back after you shoot them.

It’s FUN!

(based on the fact that shooting 2 .380acp mags and then loading them faster than a walter p22 mag is fun)

Admin (Mike) June 15, 2010 at 01:42 am

The range warriors probably crave this kind of thing.

John June 21, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Its just for the fanboys. That quad stack has been around for a while, I’ve heard it didn’t work too well and never really accepted, but the Russians just announced their new AK-200 rifle system and the 60 rounder is standard.

Montross June 24, 2010 at 08:54 am

I’m still convinced that it’s still for the AN-94- I recall hearing about it along with the new AK. Even if the 94 still shoots FA after the first two shots, that’s still after each trigger pull.
I really wish more manufacturers would catch on to this salvo idea, a la the prototype G11 and the AN-94.

Dave April 22, 2013 at 11:33 am

I guess they are called “casket mag(s)”, one day while doing some research on the history of the AK-74 I happened to come across the mention of this high capacity mag, this was the first time I’d ever heard of or seen one..

On May 25, 2010, Russia’s media published a Russian Defence Ministry statement that the AK-12 rifle was to be tested in 2011. The demonstration model (AK-200) was presented to Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin during his official visit to inspect the products of the Izhmash arms manufacturing plant in Izhevsk, was apparently a basic AK-74 in standard 5.45×39mm caliber. On the demonstrator, the traditional locations of cocking handle, safety lever and fire selector remained unchanged, but the AK-12 production model featured revisions to all of these features. The Izhmash demonstrator was fitted with the large capacity 60 round casket magazine.
Another form of box magazine, sometimes referred as a quad-column which can hold a great amount of ammunition retaining the length of a standard magazine although wider. Casket magazines can be found on the Suomi KP/-31, Hafdasa C-4, Spectre M4, QCW-05 and on 5.45x39mm AK rifle derivatives. Magpul has recently been granted a patent for a STANAG compatible casket magazine,[25] and such a magazine was also displayed by SureFire in December 2010 as the High Capacity Magazine (HCM) in 60 and 100 round capacities.[26] Izhmash has also developed a casket magazine for the AK-12

JOHN August 8, 2013 at 01:03 am

WHERE I CAN BUY THIS IZMASH 60 RD MAG FOR AK 74 !!?-COMPLETE REPLY, THANKS.

mike rotea June 1, 2015 at 07:02 pm

are the ak74 60 rnd mags and zenit suppressors available in the US?