Family Matters PSA – Save A Life, Turn In A Gun

In today’s climate I’d say a better campaign for schools in general would be “carry a gun, save lives”.

Not surprising that Jaleel White wasn’t in “Steve Urkel” mode for this ad.

Ernestthing October 1, 2010 at 01:25 pm

There was an episode of the fresh prince of bel air where Will was shot in a robbery, and Carlton decides to carry a gun for protection because he felt powerless (iirc). The exchange ended in a Will dramatically taking the gun from Carlton. Even as a kid I didn’t understand why Carlton couldn’t carry a gun to protect himself and others from the faceless robber that shot his loved one.

Admin (Mike) October 2, 2010 at 02:26 am

You have a good memory Ernest! I found the vid you’re talking about on youtube, i’ll create a new post for it within a few days.

Anthony October 1, 2010 at 03:59 pm

MY GOD. It never occured to me that I should just walk away if being mugged, robbed, or raped. Thank you Urkel, I will give up guns forever and live my life according to “Kelso’s Choices.”

AJ187 October 4, 2010 at 07:02 am

Oh, God I remember this one and the Prince one too. I suppose family matters took place in chicago and Fresh Prince in Kalifornia, so probably pretty accurate. Glad to see some 90’s kids are on here.

Ken October 6, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Urkel…nuff said

Chase October 31, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Save a life, shoot Steve Urkel.

(His voice will kill you if you listen to it long enough.)

Bob February 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

It shows what many tv shows back then talked about Full House had a episode of Child Abuse Silence is not Golden Family Matters had this Gun episode. and Fresh Prince of Bel Air had that robber episode. What touches the most is how all these tv shows talked about how bad guns were or child abuse. In the ending of the Full House episode i mentioned all the cast explained how child abuse was bad and encouraged people to report it. Family matters did the same thing except about guns. That is really good to encourage people about dangers of child abuse and guns!