Mossberg 500 Chainsaw

The 500 Chainsaw is named after the unique chainsaw-style handled grip which provides this pistol-gripped model added muzzle control.  Its tri-rail forend (with removable siderails) makes mounting your picatinny accessories a snap.

I wasn’t aware that muzzle control on a pump shotgun was such a hard thing to attain without such an accessory. :P  Gotta love that is has 3 rails and a pistol grip with it too.  If I had this, for kicks I’d mount an ACOG, a high powered optic, and a laser on each rail.

It’s not on the Mossberg website, nor can I find it in their online catalog.

Haters gonna hate. <– This pretty much sums it up.

31 COMMENTS - JUMP DOWN ↓ TO ADD YOUR OWN

Dom January 5, 2011 at 06:59 am

Mossberg is definitely working at branding itself into being the Everyman’s source of HD shotguns. And hell, why not? They’re cheap, and like most pump-actions, always work. Except maybe this one.

I have two problems with it. One, it seems like the handle, with all its leverage, would torque the grip around on the mag tube and could lead to premature wear and failure. Two, even with a shotgun, should anyone REALLY be using a gun which all but requires you to shoot from the hip?

I can be a sucker for gimmicks, but, seriously now Mossberg. Back to business.

chris austin August 20, 2011 at 04:37 pm

GUY_ this gun is made foe tactical use in urban situations, like SWAT for door breaching. Its also mounted from the bottom, in direct contact with the slide to not wear it out. If you have ever taken out a baricaded door at a drug house, YOU would realize this gun was designed for us, not you, and take my word for it, it IS serious, just like mossberg. They built this weapon FOR BREACHING. nothing else.

okto January 26, 2012 at 07:33 pm

Do you often need to use three rapid-fire breaching rounds to pop a lock?
Either you need to start pointing the gun the right way, or stop trying to do drug busts in bank vaults.

cavalier January 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

Are you sure this isn’t a joke? I can believe it as a play on some of the strange things mounted on shotguns but not as a practical accessory.

redoak January 5, 2011 at 01:59 pm

Looks more like a Mossberg Weed Eater. Sold mine.
Kel-tec, the 14 round 12 ga. Is what I’m eyeing now.

Dom January 5, 2011 at 08:50 pm

Dude, I had to blink a couple times when I read that. But you were not kidding:

It’s like the McMansion of shotguns. And man, I like it. The ability to switch between mags at will — and also no mag at all! — is just AWESOME. I just wonder if it’s hard to load. Not that you’d need to very much.

John January 6, 2011 at 01:07 am

Very Nice love the gun but I’m Anal about cleaning my Guns Just think about the muzzle blast, the powder deposit, on the tip. the front, stern, whatever of the gun. for real if its no big deal I’ll pick up one as a slug gun……. Real Nice

Dolphinshooter January 19, 2011 at 11:02 pm

In 3 gun matches I have noticed that Mossbergs shit the bed with obstinate frequency. Putting that appliance on the middle of it doesn’t seem to help. I like the Automatic duck guns they make, but Remington kills them in the pump category in every way, except for tree clearing duty. I guess they had to find a niche somewhere… meh.

chad May 10, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I may be wrong but i thought that if a shotgun comes from the factory with a pistol grip instead of a sholder stock it is NOT a shotgun…thats why u can make an A.O.W out of them ($5 tax stamp) not a short barrel shotgun($200 tax stamp) and if so if u put a pistol grip in front of the trigger guard u are in violation of NFA rules.(building a unregistered A.O.W)

walt May 12, 2011 at 01:32 am

I bought a Mossberg 500 over 35 years ago, put an 18.5″ slug barrel on it, and never looked back. Never let me down in all those years of poking around Alaska. I suppose if this thing had come out years ago I wouldn’t have had to carry both my 12 GA AND a chainsaw when clearing land or clearing trails of fallen trees
Slugs for bears and trees and 71/2 birdshot for Devil’s Club maybe?. Dumbest thing I ever saw.

Gary June 26, 2011 at 04:50 pm

I bought one because it looked cool and I know that as a home defense shotgun it will be close quarters and it might help me grab it easier. But I got it home and immediatly took the chainsaw type grip off of it. It is rediculous. But…maybe not, I am reasonably intelligent but bought it because it was a novelty. I know underneath it is a Mossberg 500 and I can get whatevery stock and accessories I need. But how many poeple own a chainsaw looking gun. Made me laugh and I had to have it. So perhaps, Mossberg has figured out that people will buy it because it is different, and figure if they get tired of the handle they can simply take it off. Was not all that expensive and it has a door breacher on it. Looks wierd…nuff said!

Jared December 19, 2011 at 04:15 pm

Hey Gary, if you took off the chainsaw grip, you should sell it to me. I bought a 590 and put the tri-rail front grip on it, and then they came out with the chainsaw. I want one of the grips, so you should sell it to me. I am on an SRT and i would really love to have it on my shotgun. Thanks.

BigBen February 10, 2012 at 11:08 pm

F*ing Awesome!

bob kleman February 20, 2012 at 06:27 am

Where can i buy a chainsaw mossberg chainsaw grip, please tell me i can buy one.

quiqued February 9, 2013 at 01:55 am

Ill sell you mine. how much you offer? I also have he pistol grip

Joe July 20, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Hey I am looking for the chainsaw grip for a friend. I know this post is probably old, but what the hell. Do you still have on for sale?

quiqued July 21, 2013 at 12:42 am

Yeah Joe, I still havr it for sell. Email me at quiqued78@gmail.com

okto February 20, 2012 at 11:51 am

This isn’t your personal shopping service, son. Google it like everyone else would have to.

Captain Tripps July 8, 2012 at 07:42 pm
JR July 10, 2012 at 09:14 pm

Hell, if I had one of these I would either take that weird chainsaw handle off of it or see if they make a bump fire attachment for it that would make the weird handle useful. With bump fire making it full auto like the handle might actually find a purpose.

ENDO-Mike July 10, 2012 at 09:31 pm

I don’t think bumpfire would be possible considering it’s pump not semi-auto.

Adrian September 3, 2012 at 02:06 am

I got mine from academy

Mark November 22, 2012 at 09:15 am

I own a Chainsaw and unlike most of the posters on here who are spouting off nonsense, I have actually shot the Chainsaw. It is awesome! The handle is what makes this gun so controllable. I also added a UTG LED light/laser combo and that makes it even better. Accurate hip shots are no problem now. This thing is easy and great fun to shoot. For the price, quality and pure awesomeness its hard to beat the Chainsaw.

Also, better get em now, before The Obama &Co. take them away.

Captain Tripps November 23, 2012 at 10:52 am

We love our Mossberg 500 Chainsaw.

Fan December 13, 2012 at 04:19 pm

Now you guys crack me up at EVERY end with the constant HATE on this gun. You are the same guys who rave about the Saiga’s ,I’m sure of it. Mossberg is just cashing in on the accessorizing shotgun market. Also other than the ”chainsaw” grip how does it differ from the Terminator bad ass Mossberg Pump? Quit crying on something cause you think it looks bad or has no purpose. I have news for you that half the new tactical guns (especially shotguns) have 0 use. These short barrel ,20 mag drum shotguns by other makers are getting the hype but look like something off of HALO.Heck some of them you can’t even fire certain rounds out of.
And for the ”fire at the hip” cryers, who aims a pistol grip pump anyway???? Of course no ones gonna aim it, chainsaw grip or not.
I admit this thing is grabbing hate left and right but try picking it up and shooting it yourself before casting it away. I really like it, top rate home defense pump.

quiqued February 9, 2013 at 01:52 am

Whoever wants a chainsaw grip and the pistol grip that comes with it send me a. Email with an offer. Highest bid will get it..

Chris Callies June 4, 2013 at 07:27 am

I was curious about it, kinda bummed when I contacted Mossberg to see if they planned to sell the handle as an accessory (as I had just purchased on a year before). They said no, you have to buy the gun, which, after telling that story, really pissed me off, but wth, maybe someday someone will make an accessory handle like it.