Belt Fed Full Auto .22 Pellet Air Gun

Skip to 3:00 to see it in action.

Wow, I wish something like this was around when I got my first pellet gun. I guess being “full auto” makes it more of a grown-up version though, probably not the best for a little kid.  Too many things could end up with dents or holes when you get into spray and pray mode on nuisance animals.

$550 for basically a modified painball gun is too steep though if you ask me. Having full auto (even though its a pellet gun) without jumping through NFA hoops is pretty cool though.

Looks like a real pain in the ass to load up that belt.

You can check it out Air Ordnance’s website – HERE

20 COMMENTS - JUMP DOWN ↓ TO ADD YOUR OWN

Austin January 19, 2011 at 03:49 pm

You’re back! I though you might have died! But all this new content looks great. Um, I’m not sure I’d be too keen on the belt loading either. It seems like a pain for something like that.

jake January 16, 2012 at 09:58 pm

whats the feet per second (mussel velocity) for this gun?

Kenny January 11, 2013 at 08:29 pm

I don’t know about mussels or even oysters, but I think this gun shoots 550-600 clams per second from the muzzle to the shells if the clams are all lined up in single file. The manual says 560 FPS but the website says 600 FPS I guess it depends on the temp you shoot in, the weight of the pellet, how well you maintain the gun and the wind. For a balance between velocity, aim, power and ease of loading, I’d probably go with Gamo .22, 16 grain lead balls. If you want more speed, just get Gamo PBA platinum 9.9 grain pellets or RWS Hyper Velocity 11 grain pellets. If you don’t really care and just want to shoot some decent Walmart pellets, the Daisy pointed pellets will work well. I’ve also heard that Predator Polymag pellets work very well in this gun. In the end, I think you’ll be less concerned about the velocity or even the overall power of this airgun when you consider that most airguns typically don’t exert any more than 10 percent the energy of a .22LR handgun. Unless you get into Big bore PCPs, the automatic .75 cal. airguns I list on my website or a firearm, you can’t really expect much power from an airgun. Even the SMG 22 won’t give you more than 12.79 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Compare that to a .22LR at 152.46 ft/lbs. An average punch is betwen 20 and 60 ft/lbs, and weapons that exert over 200 ft/lbs are usually adaquate for self defense. On the other hand, police sometimes use a less lethal .68 ball launcher that exerts around 17 ft/lbs at 250-350 FPS. Still, you could do worse, like get the stock Drozd BB gun, which shoots 2.29 ft/lbs at 450 FPS or 3.32 ft/lbs at 541 FPS with mods. If you plan shooting targets or hunting small game, this airgun should work fine.

Richard K January 19, 2011 at 08:14 pm

I have one waiting for me when I get home from work. Will update you on it tomorrow.
Glad you are back – you might have to change the name of your blog soon…… “everyday well a few days off every now and then”

GREATGAZOO May 5, 2011 at 12:26 am

I LOVE THE AIR-ORDNANCE SMG 22!!!
IT IS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO LOAD THE BELTS, BUT WELL WORTH IT WHEN SHOOTING 12 ROUNDS A SECOND, BLASTING CANS, BOTTLES OF WATER, EVEN AN OLD TV THAT WAS BROKEN. THE TV IS REALLY BROKEN NOW. I ORDERED 6 EXTRA 100 ROUNG BELTS WITH MY FIRST ORDER. I JUST OPENED MY LATEST ACCESSORY PACKAGE WITH 10 MORE 100 ROUND BELTS.
I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING SEVERE DEPRESSION AND PTSD SINCE I WAS FORCED TO LEAVE MY JOB AS A POLICE OFFICER IN APRIL 2007. I WORKED FOR 21 YEARS BEFORE I HAD TO RETIRE. MY WIFE THEN LEFT ME IN AUGUST 2007 RIGHT AFTER MY SICK LEAVE AND VACATION RAN OUT.
HAVING A SMG 22 WOULD HAVE MADE MY DEPRESSION QUITE A BIT BETTER. I FOUND THE AIR ORDNANCE SMG 22 BY ACCIDENT. I WAS LOOKING FOR A WAY TO SHOOT SOMETHING REALISTIC AT MY HOME. I HAVE WOODS BEHIND MY HOUSE BUT STILL NOT ENOUGH TO LEGALLY SHOOT FIREARMS. I THOUGHT OF BUILDING A .22LR RANGE IN MY CELLER. NOT AN EASY JOB WITH BUILDING A RANGE, VENTILATION, ECT. NOT PRACTICAL.
THEN I STUMBLED ONTO A FULL AUTO UMAREX BB GUN, A SEMI-AUTO H&K MP5 CO2 WITH 40RD DETACHABLE MAGAZINE. I ORDERED BOTH. I LIKED THE H&K BUT THE DOUBLE ACTION ONLY TRIGGER PULL WAS HEFTY. STILL A GOOD BB GUN. THE FULL AUTO BB GUN HAD A PROBLEM. A TOOL FOR THE 2 CO2 CARTRIDGES WAS STUCK INSIDE. THAT WAS MY FIRST GUN ORDERED BUT 3RD OF THE 3 GUNS I BOUGHT TO TEST. I JUST TESTED IT YESTURDAY. IT HAS A 300 RD RESERVOIR AND 30RD INTERNAL MAGAZINE WHICH WORKED WELL. BUT THE BB VELOCITY WAS LOWER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE WITH 2 CO2 CARTRIDGES. I HAD MANY BOUNCE BACKS. EYE GLASSES ARE ALWAYS RECOMMENDED, BUT I GOOD DAY OF SHOTTING WILL TURN TO A TRIP TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM WITHOUT SAFETY GLASSES WITH THE UMAREX. I’LL KEEP THE UMAREX FOR TIMES WHEN I DONT HAVE TIME TO LOAD UP THE SMG 22 AND WANT TO SHOOT FOR ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE DARK.
BOTTOM LINE IS THE SMG 22 IS THE BEST GUN I HAVE EVER SHOT IN MY BACK YARD. IT FEELS GOOD IN MY ARMS WITH A 20 OZ CO2 TANK ATTACHED. IT FEELS GREAT SHOOTING A 100 ROUND BELT FROM A MAGAZINE OR WITHOUT THE MAG SHOOTING FROM MY PICNIC TABLE. IT FEELS LIKE YOU ARE SHOOTING .22LR MACHINE GUN. I WOULD LIKE A LITTLE MORE POWER BUT, WHEN I WAS SHOOTING AND RELOADING AMUNITION FOR FIREARMS, I ALMOST ALWAYS LOADED THE MAXIMUM SAFE LOADS. I WILL BE SHOOTING THE AIR ORDNANCE SMG 22 A LOT THIS SUMMER!!!

Rick December 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Hey man, came across your story by accident. I too am a former Police Officer, left the job in 1989 due to serious injuries. Which department were you on and what happened to you.

Rick

Ken February 15, 2013 at 02:46 am

Rick,
Text me your personal e-mail.
413-five six three-3111
ken

Jason April 25, 2012 at 04:49 pm

FPS PLEASE! And how many shoots will you get out of a full tank?

Jason April 25, 2012 at 04:51 pm

Sorry I found it. 600 FPS

NanoBlaster July 24, 2012 at 03:28 pm

OK! I ordered mine 20 minutes ago. Been looking at it every day for a month, I said screw it I’m dropping the 600 on it. I have several extremely high powered air rifles; however I will not go over a .25 Cal size because if you need bigger you need a gun. I do a lot of target shooting in my basement. Shooting catty corner my range is 50 feet to the inch. My air rifles rang from the Benjamin XP trail NP .25, which is not all that accurate to be honest so I kind of turned it into a pellet muzzle loader and now it’s very accurate but a little more powerful than I think it should be so I keep it in peace’s and put up for the Zombie’apoc, I also have all 3 calibers in the PCP Benjamin Marauder set and a .22 and .25 Edgun “just the barrels change out”. I have over 30 air rifles and pistols, but when I saw this SMG I was like holy hell they did it. As I said I ordered it not too long ago, and also ordered a few other things such as 2 picatinny rails systems, 1 for a scope mount and the other one is a UTG quad rail. Since its auto I figure some weight and guidance should help while spraying at some squirrel that’s on the move, considering I like to deck’em out if you can’t tell. I’m looking for a way to thread on a suppressor because reviews say its load. Also going to do some massive up grading to get 950 fps using HPA, and I plan on building a 100 round one push loader. Already got the CAD program working it out, I will be getting in touch with ordinance about a few of these ideas. In any case my email is sgibson1977@gmail.com, and let me know if you have any ideas and want something fabricated for a paint ball marker or air rifle, I’m sure my prices will be so cheap your jaw will drop. I’m a full time student working for my PH.D. in Astrobiology and need all the help I can get, which also allows me access to the tools I need to create such objects. Have fun throwing lead, this is NanoBlaster signing off…

Ed January 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Get it up to 1000 FPS and I’ll be really interested.

NanoBlaster May 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm

OK so here is the deal, I finally get 855 give or take, I have come to find that any higher pressure the belt links will blow up. They are plastic thin at best and cant take the pressure. There are a few things one can do to get higher pressure out come but the belt will need to be aluminum, if you get a belt such as this let me know i need a few, and then I am sure I can get 990 fps no bs. On last thing 855 is messy when throwing lead like that at a squirrel on the move. Pissed my neighbor off lol who cares!!!

NanoBlaster August 27, 2013 at 08:47 pm

IVe got new ideas for this air rifle that will get us up to 800 or higher i’m trying to get in with MR. Tippman about these mods maybe he will give me a job.

kevin neel February 14, 2013 at 09:46 pm

I am interested in the smg, looking at it every day and i think i am going to get it. Was thinking about the drozd blackbird but I allready have a daisy 5170 pistol and it shoots 21 bbs @ 520fps, chroneid so 540 or better on full auto with bbs don:t impress me . Plus with the King out there trying to limit constitutional rights it probably won”t be long till Americans cannot own any weapon air or not that either shoots full auto or over 500 fps. Still the gun looks awesome and there are some good youtube vids out there, as well as the builder being well known for his ability to build a goob airgun. I also looked at the gmg but I do not like the waythe barrel moves rearward when you shoot the rifle , can”t be good for accuracy.

kevin neel February 14, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I saw a youtube vid where the shooter chroneid his smg @ over 850 fps, but he or she did not explain the mods that were made to get the smg to that velocity. I also read one of sgibson1977@gmail.com
post on another blog where he did some quick mods that got his smg fps to750, also using 3000psi hpa. Mr. tippman ought to start a mod shop of his own it is legal here in the states to shoot a.g.s at or over 1000fps Evanix has several models that shoot semi/full auto . If a customer wants to buy an smg .22 cal. that shoots over 850 fps and it can be safe,ly modded to do so , Then Mr. Tippman could
start a mod by waiver only program, this of course would probably mean an end to the 1 year warranty . Buy the way speaking of evanix I can”t afford their full auto airguns and that makes the smg even more attractive,to the everyday middle class working or retired stiff looking to have fun and to releive stress. Sometimes I think the founding fathers even knew that guns were good for fun and stress releif. also if the guns were to be factory modded to the buyers requirements , withen reason and the results put on youtube I bet Air Ordanence would become a household word in airgun circles and shooting clubs as just the basic smg is fun ,hard to put down, keeps you awake at night thinking of ways to add fps and mods for looks and mods for funcinality and if you take it to a shoot among reinds , of any age young or old you ain”T gitten back to soon !

Gubudusnoochull February 20, 2014 at 01:44 pm

Why all the useless demos like shooting balloons, milk bottles, watermelons, & junk. You would think someone would show it shooting a 2 X 4. If it doesn’t have the power to go thru a 2×4 it is too weak for me.

Ken February 20, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I don’t think it will go through a 2 x 4 with 1 shot but put 100 steel tipped pellets into the same spot on a 2 x 4 and it will get through if not cut it in two. I love the SMG 22 and my Drozed full auto BB gun customized by DrozedMax. both these guns will have you buying pellets or BBs by the case.

kbb February 28, 2014 at 12:21 am

Very nice, I work with a bunch of geeks who saw the website video. ALL would definitely get one if it could punch 800fps or better! I know because I am one of those geeks, and we actually took the time to put this hypothetical to a vote. Do make one that can do 800 fps and you probably just doubled your sales!

Tony March 28, 2014 at 01:41 am

So can any high powered pellet gun be used for home protection.