Thoughts On Best Handgun Caliber For Concealed Carry

w00t w00t G19 for the win!  Good choice.   You can even keep a 33 round stick on you in case shit gets real.  I’m still afraid of the gen4 since it had so many problems in the beginning.  I’ll have to pick one up someday though.

A lot of YouTubers seem to be discussing this lately.  Last week we heard from highjak86 and his friend on the topic.

Lance April 28, 2012 at 12:22 am

I had reservations about the G19 Gen 4 as well, but I ponied up and bought one when a friend at work had one as well as his son and they never had a single issue with either. I have just over 1 thousand rounds through mine with no issues to date. I don’t have any of the weird ejection issues that I heard users talking about either. I still wish they kept the RTF2 texture though.

ENDO-Mike April 28, 2012 at 12:24 am

Oh nice… good to hear! Hopefully they worked out all the kinks long term. I agree the RTF2 texture was a beast. I destroyed some FOX dirtbiking gloves I used to shoot with in 2 range sessions on that grip texture.

Lance April 28, 2012 at 12:26 am

The RTF2 builds character.

mrcolionnoir April 29, 2012 at 03:43 am

I RTF2 w/ the fish gill serrations are the best looking glocks in my opinion. It really starts getting annoying when the grip puts holes in your shirt.

Vhyrus April 28, 2012 at 12:49 am

James Yeager approved?

Steve069 April 28, 2012 at 01:10 am

I picked up a new G4 19 about two weeks ago with the updated ejector & spring as a carry version of my G3 17…I am still happy with my choice.

dave w April 28, 2012 at 01:17 am

If your going somewhere you think you might need a 33rnd stick, then you either shouldn’t go or you should take a rifle. Just sayin.

John April 28, 2012 at 09:29 am

Please do not litter this comment section with logic. :-)

That being said, 33rnders make the range trip too short, and reloading drills are a bit awkward at first.

Critter April 28, 2012 at 09:09 am

you could use the 33 rnd stick as an impact weapon. yanno.

dave w April 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

or tie 2 together as nunchucks perhaps

Byron April 28, 2012 at 09:38 am

OK, all the cliches exist for a reason…most ring pretty true (maybe that makes them axioms instead of cliches?)
First rule of winning a gun fight: Have a gun. .22LR beats a thumb in the eye, .50BMG is amazing but impractical. Find a happy medium. .22 may “only piss him off”, but it will piss him off 10 times in short order.

What do bad-guys do after being shot with a pistol: The same thing they were doing before, at least for a little bit (IE instant incapacitation is a rare thing)

What kinda gun do you carry into a place where you know there will be a gunfight? None, go somewhere else. Nobody wins a gunfight/knife fight……One survives better than the other, but nobody wins. Whether it’s at 1 foot or 800 meters, trust me, there are things you will loose that can’t be replaced or repaired.

Bottom line, carry as much as you are competent, accurate, and comfortable with. The “best gun” is entirely personal, just like any other tool, you have to use what works for you, not the next guy.

Jessie April 28, 2012 at 09:42 am

Who the hell can put their hands on that small 19 grip? The 17 is where it’s at. Choice of cops and elite soldiers round the world.

ENDO-Mike April 28, 2012 at 11:52 am

I think the 19 is perfect. The 17 is my favorite handgun, but i’d only choose that over the 19 if I wasn’t CC’ing.

Jessie April 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm

The G19 was my first pistol and i shot it alot! Then i noticed all the really good shooters at my club shot either the G17 or the G34. Especially after taking classes, i switched over to the 17 and havent looked back. Since i live in georgia, ccl is easy to get. And im small too so the 17 is no problem to conceal.

Lance April 28, 2012 at 08:57 pm

I know police officers that carry Glock 19s as their primary duty weapon.

Steve069 April 28, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Agreed.

Chris April 28, 2012 at 06:41 pm

Don’t be scared of the Gen 4. I’ve got a a G22 Gen 4 with almost 3,000 rounds through it, I’ve never had a single malfunction with it.

Curtis April 29, 2012 at 01:33 pm

The fact that ammo is cheap (and you can afford to train more with it) is a fully valid reason to choose 9mm. Cost is a limiting factor to most of us, in choosing a gun, and in how much we train. Therefore the benefits of ease of mastery, more opportunity to train, and ability to carry more ammunition with a 9mm have ripple effects into eachother, and magnify the benefits of the caliber exponentially.

Sean Cabral May 2, 2012 at 06:31 am

I own a Sig P250 subcompact, I got the only holster Desantis for my CCW. I didnt like the holster and have found others for different models of guns that just felt better to hold on my person. The sig has no safeties So I was looking at getting a gun with a trigger safety. Everyone I know that owns a Springfield XD compact or full size for the matter whether it be 9 or 45 is happy with that gun. I still think Im going to get a compact version 9 (because of the size of the gun and the easier carryability. I also like high capacity magazines because I’m a smaller guy with a smaller frame and the bigger guns you can tell I have them on my person even though it is concealed. I always say the power isnt in the gun, Its in the bullets. All tho I like more kick when the hammer comes down. I plan on getting the xd 9mm if I find a good ccw holster. I liked you video you made sense by basically laying out basic common sense from the research you have done. You seem real and have carried a bunch of different guns. I liked your video, It doesnt tell you what to buy other than something you feel comfortable shoot, and carrying. Sometimes price is a factor with ammo, 9mm vs .45 is a decent difference but the same could be said about .22. I like to practice with my gun alot to get more accurate, more familiar, and more comfortable with my gun.