$315 10mm Blowback Carbine – Hi-Point Conversion

The gun store guys are at it again with the conversions:

If you remember a few weeks ago I posted the $169 .40 to 10mm Handgun Hi-Point Conversion they did.  This Carbine seems to run every bit as well.

If you need a carbine and don’t want to break the bank this might be a good option.  Maybe it’s the price point, but something makes me uneasy about modifying $169-$315 guns to shoot higher pressure rounds.  The gun store guys are known for their hi-point torture tests, which proves they are very resilient.  I just don’t know if I can get over that in my mind though.

19 COMMENTS - JUMP DOWN ↓ TO ADD YOUR OWN

Huhwhat May 7, 2012 at 05:45 am

I’ve long thought that a decent 10MM carbine would make a good house/patrol rifle, assuming it’s designed and configured properly. Something about the size of a .30 caliber M1 carbine with folding stock (hopefully, a better one than the M1 uses), a double stack magazine (Glock 20 mags hold 15 rounds, a 20-rounder would be better, more than that gets too long), ghost ring sights with a Picatinny rail for optics, and a threaded barrel for a can, also available in SBR config with a threaded 12″ barrel. Which sounds a lot like an SBR AR in 10MM, so maybe there’s no point in a new design, since I don’t see a plethora of 10MM ARs in gun shop racks.

A couple decades ago Tim LeGendre did some .30 carbine conversions to .45 Winmag, but IIRC, receivers cracked from not having enough metal after being hogged out for the larger cartridge. I’m not suggesting that any M1 carbines be sacrificed to the 10MM gods, but the M1 strikes me as a good place from which to begin with new engineering drawings.

overkill556x45 May 7, 2012 at 06:49 am

I want to see another gel block test with the carbine. The pistol got a miserable 10″, which is less than certain 38+p loads in a snubbie. I have a sinking feeling that all the extra “oomph” is being blown out the ejection port. I would wager that you need a locked breech to make 10mm worthwhile in any firearm.

overkill556x45 May 7, 2012 at 07:14 am

Yes, it’s lame to reply to my own post, but I re-watched the 10mm pistol conversion and confirmed a measly 10″ in gel. The link I will post below is 130gr PDX1 38spl from a snubbie that gets 14″ penetration through 4 layers of denim. This “10mm conversion” is just an extra loud (and expensive) noisemaker. No locked breech=no guts.

Crunkleross May 7, 2012 at 07:14 am

High performance 40 SW loads make this conversion a waste of time, there is not enough difference to be worth the effort. If you could tailor some handloads to make use of the longer barrel there might be more to get out of the 10 but you would be nuts to shoot them in a Hi Point. It’s not a matter of the strength of the Hi Point it’s how much case is unsupported, think Glock 40 Kaboom x 10. Hi Points use a 1911 style magazine which has proven to be finicky when feeding 10mm even in Colts.

I haven’t seen a duo with that much charisma since Beavis and Butthead, come to think of it that’s a pretty good analogy.

That Guy May 7, 2012 at 08:26 am

I’m sure it will work and not blow up… until it doesn’t.

Odysseus May 7, 2012 at 08:38 am

I am mildly curious as to what the muzzle velocity difference would be vs pistol length barrel.

DaveP. May 8, 2012 at 02:37 pm

No way to tell for sure unless someone chronys, but here’s a site that can help us make an educated guess:

doyletoo May 7, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I agree with Crunkleross. I don’t see the (Hi)point
of the conversion.
The performance improvement isn’t that dramatic
and the cost of ammo is more and availability is less.

hydepark May 7, 2012 at 03:36 pm

Groovy baby! I’ve gotten to like these guys more and more just because of the whacky stuff like this that they do. And it’s usually on a budget, which is neat.

Church May 7, 2012 at 04:15 pm

Hate these guys.

shockfish08 May 7, 2012 at 08:34 pm

A M1 carbine in 10mm (and a decent double stack magazine) would be a totally awesome home defense sub carbine.

AmazingKG3 May 7, 2012 at 09:22 pm

Nice trigger reset…blech

Critter May 7, 2012 at 09:33 pm

while the idea of a 10mm hipoint carbine has the same appeal as a well polished turd, i think they may be onto something here. Ruger has a lot of experience making pistol caliber carbines and i think that something along the line of their old police carbine or even the Mod 96 lever carbine would be excellent in 10mm. a platform like that might just be the spark needed to reignite the ole cartridge.

Steveweiser May 8, 2012 at 02:24 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that a Kel-Tec SUB2000 in 10mm that takes Glock 20 mags would be shweet?

DaveP. May 8, 2012 at 02:35 pm

Nope- I’ve wanted one such for years now. I think the 10 would really come alive in a carbine length barrel.

KIen December 18, 2012 at 08:14 am

The high point does not use a similar magazine to the 1911 .45 magazine in fact the high point magazines would be better if they where interchangeable with 1911A1 magazines lile a decent one from Wilsons’. The mags are the weakest link if they took a normal one that is built tough and feeds well then I would have kept mine. I had 12 magazines 5 worked properly and only because I redid magazine springs. I 10 mm conversion as long as its safe is ok by me hell if it just took wilson 1911A1 mags I would buy th .45 cal. I had the 9 mm for years and put a nice green laser, optics and a 220 lumens flash light touch activated. The carbine was a decent home defense platform but not good enough to last say in a war where you would need stronger weapons with hardened parts like our current M16A2 or M 14 SOCOM like I used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

KIen December 18, 2012 at 08:16 am

can you make it to take Wilson magazines?

Jer March 8, 2013 at 11:20 pm

The .40 s & w where designed from the 10mm. The 10 mm is longer, I never understood why feds in the 80′s could not comfortably wield and be issued the 10 mm and had to ask S&W to make something like the .40 which turned out to be the .40 S&M. I want a 10mm carbine, I want a HP 10 mm carbine. The 10 seems to make more sence with the carbine than anything else, giving a bit more distance and power in a larger caliber! OOOHH yes AWESOME> Thank ya’ll good ole boys for your very practical and purposeful mass spread demonstrations. If no one else gets the point I sure as hell do and I am not an advid watcher yet every time I see ya’ll I watch because what you do is far more important than I think most people realize in love of our fellow mankind. OH yeah, I work on them, can fix them, test them and have been shooting shit for a quarter of a century.

Beretta Buddy September 18, 2013 at 06:16 am

.300 BLK is potential carbine glory, imho. Keep up the good work guys!