An interesting talk that is definitely worth watching:
Every time I see one of these types of scientific videos where they talk about wounds, I realize how bad I never want to be shot.
The rifle v.s. handgun pictures he shows are especially frightening.
LOL at the zombie target joke at around 13:12.
- Handguns are not as deadly as most people think. 6 out of 7 people survive their injuries
- It’s impossible to assess injury severity at scene properly
- There are often no exit wounds
- Handguns have a very low penetration depth
- Be concerned about airways
- The most likely death is due to hemorrhage
- Quick transport to OR is key
Moral of the story is that if you’re going to get shot you better hope it’s with a handgun. On the flip side of that Clint Smith’s saying “The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.” definitely holds true, because you’re going to want a rifle (if you have the option) to stop the threat.
Hat tip: Arthur