Open Source Video Game Where You Play As The Gun

An interesting concept called “Receiver” by Wolfire games:

A video showing the updates and guns that were added:

Made in only 7 days as a part of an FPS game programming challenge.  Shoot drones, and turrets while manipulating your 1911, Glock, or revolver realistically using the mouse and a lot of keys.  Nice touch that they made the Glock with an auto add-on.  Available over at Wolfire Games at an introductory price of only $5.

Receiver-Gun-FPSThe fact it’s an FPS without the P (person) is interesting until you realize that there’s basically just an “invisible” person.  Decent looking game for $5 nevertheless.  I like the fact that it’s open source too because if it catches on there are a lot of people that will do some really awesome stuff for it.

ErnestThing May 12, 2013 at 06:34 am

Permadeath, random levels, AND realistic guns?!

INSTABOUGHT!

teknix May 12, 2013 at 02:28 pm

Crap the antigunners were right! Guns do go around on thier own shooting people!

Luke L May 12, 2013 at 08:47 pm

Looks like a great proof of concept. If this gets integrated into mainstream FPS games to allow realistic gun mechanics I might actually start playing multiplayer FPSs again. I doubt it will though. Sales would die whenever the normal CoD demographic players find the game unplayable because they have to actually know remotely how a firearm works to reload.

Oh well a man can dream. Clearing malfunctions in a firefight sure sounds like a fun challenge as long as I don’t have to do it in real life.

2Wheels May 13, 2013 at 07:50 am

You could clear jams in Americas Army, but I don’t recall a gun ever jamming while in a multiplayer match. Been a while since I played though.

032125 May 12, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Permadeth is the feature du jour.

Quint Young May 13, 2013 at 02:08 pm

I bought it, simple but fun. I spent about 30 minutes learning the control in the same way I would with a real pistol. Now I smile as I quickly drop a magazine throw it away, jam a new one in the pistol, release the slide and open fire. It’s very realistic. You can ever super-load your pistols, or load the revolver with between 1 and 3 rounds (and spin the cylinder) for a bit of extra “luck” based challenge